Bullet Performance

Bullet Performance

This is a discussion on Bullet Performance within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I asked something like this in another thread but got no response so I'll ask differently in it's own thread. How much improvement can one ...

Thread: Bullet Performance

Question Bullet Performance

I asked something like this in another thread but got no response so I'll ask differently in it's own thread.

How much improvement can one expect from firing handgun rounds from a rifle. I would think that there would be an improvement in velocity. I heard somewhere that some rifles offer no improvement. Anyone have experience/knowledge on this?

Thanks!
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

Rifles tend to give greater velocity.

This velocity can sometimes exceed the "optimal window of bullet performance" that the round was designed to work under. Other times it can work great.

I'm generally a fan of using handgun calibers in handguns and rifle calibers in rifles, but there are a few exception. One of them is the 9mm SMG.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Rifles tend to give greater velocity.

This velocity can sometimes exceed the "optimal window of bullet performance" that the round was designed to work under. Other times it can work great.

I'm generally a fan of using handgun calibers in handguns and rifle calibers in rifles, but there are a few exception. One of them is the 9mm SMG.

Biker
    Hee hee, I don't see myself with an SMG... then again.

I know you use the lever action .38spl in SASS. Where is the "window" on those? Short carbine or longer rifle? It seems the .357/.38 combo would be versatile.

I once had a Marlin semi-auto in .44mag. I regret ever giving it up.
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump

Anything you can do to increase the velocity of a bullet, the more impact energy you can expect from the bullet in question; that is simple mathematics at work. Many knowledgeable people know this, so it goes by saying that if you fire a bullet out of as longer barrel you are going to get more velocity and therefore more energy out of the bullet leaving the barrel. This can also be affected by powder selection and burn rates, but the bottom line is velocity.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I know you use the lever action .38spl in SASS. Where is the "window" on those? Short carbine or longer rifle? It seems the .357/.38 combo would be versatile.
    I have no idea, as I just shoot the dang thing in a Match, not for home/personal defense.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonabq View Post
    I asked something like this in another thread but got no response so I'll ask differently in it's own thread.

How much improvement can one expect from firing handgun rounds from a rifle. I would think that there would be an improvement in velocity. I heard somewhere that some rifles offer no improvement. Anyone have experience/knowledge on this?

Thanks!
    The reason it's hard to get a response is that it is dependent on the caliber of the round, the bullet weight and the grains and burn rate of the powder. There is an optimum barrel length. for some guns it's only twelve inches or less and after that the bullet slows down from the drag. In others it provides only modest improvement not worth the extra length. Some like the .357 mag or even the 9mm with special SMG loading can benefit from a full sixteen inch barrel. Like I said it depends. Most pistol rounds have their burn rates tailored to shoot in short barreled weapons. That's why it's called handgun ammo.
    For the stength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack. - R. Kipling

Romans 1:22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools [professing to be smart, they made simpletons of themselves].

Smile Thanks Guys

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    The reason it's hard to get a response is that it is dependent on the caliber of the round, the bullet weight and the grains and burn rate of the powder. There is an optimum barrel length. for some guns it's only twelve inches or less and after that the bullet slows down from the drag. In others it provides only modest improvement not worth the extra length. Some like the .357 mag or even the 9mm with special SMG loading can benefit from a full sixteen inch barrel. Like I said it depends. Most pistol rounds have their burn rates tailored to shoot in short barreled weapons. That's why it's called handgun ammo.
    Sounds like a bunch of math is involved. Maybe the whole thing (handgun ammo in a rifle) should just be done for fun. When it's time for a serious rifle I think I'll look at the Springfield M1A
    Jeff
    NRA Member

Sponsored Links