M-44 Questions

This is a discussion on M-44 Questions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Got one. Love it. Fun to shoot. They'll worth about $80. The 300 rounds of Ammo these days is worth another $60-80. Good deal!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M-44 Questions

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Got one. Love it. Fun to shoot. They'll worth about $80. The 300 rounds of Ammo these days is worth another $60-80. Good deal!
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

2. Remove Ads

I probably know the answer to this, but can I shoot 7.62x39 (even though its chambered for 7.62x54) safely out of the M44? The only reason I ask is because you can do .38 special in a .357mag
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Nope you can't shoot 7.62x39 out of the M44. The 7.62x54r is a rimmed cartridge, longer, and I believe the 7.62x54r is head spaced on the rim while the 7.62x39 is head spaced on the shoulder. The 7.62x39 would not be supported in the chamber, it would go in too deep. here are some pics.

Yeah, I kinda figured that but I don't have x39 rounds to compare. Just figured that it might be possible since you can do that with some others. Thanks for the answer and pics though.

Whats a good source for some surplus ammo?
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Really nice M44's are hard to find these days, and the prices are getting high. The rifle alone is worth more than your pistol and extras. Trade it ASAP!!!!!

The Mosins are tough and quite accurate, and the 7.62x54R is about like a .308.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Check SOG for ammo, they have Czech fmj 20 rd box for $3.89 or 40+ boxes for $3.59 each, Czech 7.62X54 Silver Tip 20Rd Box $4.49 or 22+ boxes for $4.39 7.62X54R Bulgarian 20Rd Box $3.99 or 44 for $3.80 each, or 22 for $3.85 each

southernohiogun.com

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Really nice M44's are hard to find these days, and the prices are getting high. The rifle alone is worth more than your pistol and extras. Trade it ASAP!!!!!

The Mosins are tough and quite accurate, and the 7.62x54R is about like a .308.
    I already made the trade. He told me that he has only shot it once since he has had it. He got it from his grandfather who didn't shoot it many time either.

All the numbers on it match so its not one of the ones that been pieced together from several different rifles. It has either been reblued and the stock refinished or its been taken care of really good. This thing is in immaculate condition.

Is there anything I can do to make the bolt easier to operate? When it isn't cocked, the bolt is extremely tough to flip up. Its all oiled and cleaned....The spring in it just seems too strong. Can I put a lighter spring in it and still have enough power behind the firing pin when its released?
    Last edited by broknindarkagain; June 4th, 2009 at 03:23 AM.

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Looks like you got a nice one, as for the bolt it cocks on opening, not closing like Mausers. You can check the bolt and chamber for any burrs. I have heard about bolt sticking, but only after firing. You can learn more about that in the link below. There is a firing pin gauge that came with some rifles to check the firing pin protrusion. You can adjust the spring if needed but i'm not sure if that will help any. Here is a website that can give you more info on the Mosin Nagant takedown, specs, and other stuff.

Collecting and Shooting the Mosin-Nagant 7.62 Carbines - HISTORY

Quote Originally Posted by gumaro View Post
    Looks like you got a nice one, as for the bolt it cocks on opening, not closing like Mausers. You can check the bolt and chamber for any burrs. I have heard about bolt sticking, but only after firing. You can learn more about that in the link below. There is a firing pin gauge that came with some rifles to check the firing pin protrusion. You can adjust the spring if needed but i'm not sure if that will help any. Here is a website that can give you more info on the Mosin Nagant takedown, specs, and other stuff.

Collecting and Shooting the Mosin-Nagant 7.62 Carbines - HISTORY
    I know it cocks as you lift the bolt, thats where its tough. If its already cocked, its really easy to cycle the action....There is nothing wrong with it - just a really tight spring. I just want to know if putting a lighter spring in it would keep it from firing (since the same spring is what throws the firing pin).

Has anyone tried the "cork" trick? Does it work?

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Here are a few pics as promised

By the way - I shortened the spring a bit and it works great now

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

VIP Member
    excellent trade sir!!!!!

I got my M44 for $80 from Big 5 and it was in almost excellent condition. Great to shoot and ammo plentiful.
    Now I'm wanting another 7.62.x54r, maybe this one is next for me:
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/R...54R_Rifle.html
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    excellent trade sir!!!!!

I got my M44 for $80 from Big 5 and it was in almost excellent condition. Great to shoot and ammo plentiful.
    Now I'm wanting another 7.62.x54r, maybe this one is next for me:
    AIM Romanian PSL-54C 7.62x54R Rifle Romanian PSL-54C 7.62x54R Rifle
    I like AIM, I just ordered some ammo from them. If I had the money, I would order that rifle too haha

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links