M-44 Questions

This is a discussion on M-44 Questions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I might be picking up an M-44 carbine (7.62x54). Does anyone have any experience with these? How are they? What would be a normal asking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M-44 Questions

M-44 Questions

I might be picking up an M-44 carbine (7.62x54).

Does anyone have any experience with these? How are they? What would be a normal asking price when someone is selling one?

I will be trading a Hi-Point CF380 for it.

A pic is below

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

2. Remove Ads

M-44 for a Hi-Point.....

Make that trade quick, before he changes his mind. Like, right now!
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Senior Moderator
    Ditto that.

They are great guns and they pack a pretty good punch.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I'm meeting with him tomorrow to trade. I don't think he knows what he has...
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Amen to that trade... Make it fast
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Mosin Nagants can be had for cheap - but getting a good gun and losing a Hi Point at the same time sounds like a good thing. I'd say go for it. Be sure to have him throw in all the ammo he has for it as he won't be needing that anymore.

Austin

My hi point, a holster, and 10 rounds of ammo for his rifle, hard case, and 300 rounds of ammo.

However, i was pleased with the hi point. Many people think they are junk but mine has served me well. Accurate and never once jammed.

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

You can still find M44s in the $80 price range, laminated stocks are higher, the M38 is harder to find especially with the correct stock. If you have a C&R it can be shipped to your house for about $15. The surplus ammo is still widely available, but also has gone up in price. You can get more info at

7.62x54r.net

They are great, I have 5 M44s and a M38.

Make the trade ASAP!! They are amazing rifles!

It is the one gun I totally regret trading in. As a result I am going to pick up a new one once I find one in a similar condition to my old one.
    "No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
    -Thomas Jefferson-

This rifle has a beautiful stock on it....that I don't want to destroy when I'm out in the woods with it haha.....

Does anyone know if you can find synthetic stocks for these things? Something that wouldn't get destroyed while I'm out shooting?

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

ATI makes a synthetic stock, it works for M44, M38, and 91/30. You can also pick up a extra surplus stock for it. Another thing to consider is removing the bayonet so as not to lug around the few extra pounds. There are scout scope set ups you can attach to the rear sight without altering the carbines original configuration. They are attached in place of the rear sight, just remove the sight, sight spring, and pin. You do have to use a long eye relief scope. I sporterized one of mine, it was not a matching numbers, and had little collectors value.

Quote Originally Posted by gumaro View Post
    ATI makes a synthetic stock, it works for M44, M38, and 91/30. You can also pick up a extra surplus stock for it. Another thing to consider is removing the bayonet so as not to lug around the few extra pounds. There are scout scope set ups you can attach to the rear sight without altering the carbines original configuration. They are attached in place of the rear sight, just remove the sight, sight spring, and pin. You do have to use a long eye relief scope. I sporterized one of mine, it was not a matching numbers, and had little collectors value.

If you do go for the scope make sure you replace the stock bolt handle with a bent one otherwise the scope will hit it.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

My understanding was that the bayonet is permanently fixed to the barrel. How do you remove it if its suppose to be fixed for good?

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Quote Originally Posted by broknindarkagain View Post
    My understanding was that the bayonet is permanently fixed to the barrel. How do you remove it if its suppose to be fixed for good?

It has a screw that might be staked, just use a good screwdriver. I used a impact driver to remove mine (since I wasn't worried about keeping the bayonet). There will be a spring so be careful, after loosing the screw, hold the bayonet while you remove the screw from the hole. You can always put the bayonet back on. The bent bolt handle is only needed if you install a scope mount like mine, that was drilled and tapped. The original bolt handle will work with a scout scope mount.

Doesn't sound too difficult. I'm picking it up in about 15 minutes....so I'll check it out once I have it in my hands. I'll post some pics later

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links