Lets talk about the Saiga 12

This is a discussion on Lets talk about the Saiga 12 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What is you opinions on them? They definitely have a bad ass factor to them at a reasonable price. I have been wanting to buy ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lets talk about the Saiga 12

Lets talk about the Saiga 12

What is you opinions on them? They definitely have a bad ass factor to them at a reasonable price. I have been wanting to buy one for about 2 years now but never seem to be able to pull the trigger so to speak..

What are some pro's and con's about them ?

YouTube - Saiga 12 Shotgun, MD-20 Drum: Pallet Destruction

YouTube - MD Arms, Ltd Saiga-12 20rd Drum #1

YouTube - Saiga 12 MD Arms 20 Round Drum Dump

2. Remove Ads

To me they seem like something a movie would invent...but they look very cool. I hear they work very well. I thinkit would be a great investment.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I watched a couple of guys running them in a match, STUPID fast on target but the reloads slowed 'em down. They ended up only a second or less quicker in their total time than the guys running tube feeders.
    Now...that being said..I want one :-) if for nothing else than the coolness factor
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

I think they would be a blast to shoot skeet with

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I love mine!
    I think it's a better HD/SD gun than my Remington.

The Plus'es First:
    Practically indestructable!
    Very "tactically" sound
    Very easy to work on, even with limited knowledge and skill.
    Very versatile and easy to customize to personal preference.
    Detachable magazines that can hold a LOT of ammo.

The Minus'es:
    "Conversion" parts and accessories can be hard to find and expensive.
    Is subject to "assault" weapon laws
    Some older S-12's need to be re-ported to insure performance.
    Some US made magazines may require altering to function properly.
    You will not be able to buy fully "rifled" barrels until late '09

You can learn more on the Saiga Forum.
    The Link: forum.Saiga-12.com

Here's a pic of mine as it is now. I'm still trying to decide sights and optics.

If I get one, these look nice to model them after

I saw one at my local gun shop for $650 or so.

My main concern is with the plastic shotshells - do they deform if left in a loaded magazine over time, due to the pressure from the follower? I've read conflicting info on this issue.

Plus...if you really need more than 5 buckshot shells to solve your problem...you are in heap deep poo poo.

For now, I feel my Remington 870 pump is plenty...but I am willing to be persuaded...

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I saw one at my local gun shop for $650 or so.

My main concern is with the plastic shotshells - do they deform if left in a loaded magazine over time, due to the pressure from the follower? I've read conflicting info on this issue.

Plus...if you really need more than 5 buckshot shells to solve your problem...you are in heap deep poo poo.

For now, I feel my Remington 870 pump is plenty...but I am willing to be persuaded...
    My magazines have been loaded for weeks with no problems. The problems with deformities result from leaving a full (hi-cap) magazine locked in place against a "closed" bolt.
    (This problem can be easily corrected; You can also leave the bolt open or a shell or two out.)
    See Saiga forum Thread- http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?...eformed+shells

Btw: It's my understanding; it only happens with 10 and 12 round magazines. (My preference is an 8rd magazine.)

To the OP:
    The initial purchase price is just the begining. The Saiga is great for HD/SD, skeet and small game out of the box. You'll also likely need a 2rd magazine if you wish to bird hunt.

BUT!!! If you want to convert one, plan on spending from $600 into the $1000's. (I spent around $600, did it myself; AND did the bare minimum.)

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    My magazines have been loaded for weeks with no problems. The problems with deformities result from leaving a full (hi-cap) magazine locked in place against a "closed" bolt.
    (This problem can be easily corrected; You can also leave the bolt open or a shell or two out.)
    See Saiga forum Thread- Leaving shells in the mag for long time - forum.Saiga-12.com

Btw: It's my understanding; it only happens with 10 and 12 round magazines. (My preference is an 8rd magazine.)
    Interesting. I think I would lean more toward leaving the bolt locked open, rather than modifying the mags with a pull-pin. Or just leave the mag out until you need it.

For the price, though, you can buy two pump shotguns. I can't imagine a realistic scenario where you would need more shells than you can get in a pump shotgun. Plus, the pumps are more tolerant of different loads than semi-autos are. My Rem 870 Express magnum can take 2 3/4, 3, or magnum length shells - I like having that option.

Certainly, if you want a Saiga 12, go for it. Not for me.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    The Saiga gas systems are supposed to be 100% top notch after a few hundred rounds to break them in.

As far as a "combat shotgun" goes I believe they are pretty much the apex of what can be done.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Seems like they are truly a love or hate type weapon

I was at the range today with my buddy who had a brand new saiga. Today was the first time I shot a saiga. Wow, the firepower of setting off 12 rounds of 00buck into targets is just impressive!! I want one now. And the recoil is nothing compared to shooting my 870 with 00buck.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Interesting. I think I would lean more toward leaving the bolt locked open, rather than modifying the mags with a pull-pin. Or just leave the mag out until you need it.

For the price, though, you can buy two pump shotguns. I can't imagine a realistic scenario where you would need more shells than you can get in a pump shotgun. Plus, the pumps are more tolerant of different loads than semi-autos are. My Rem 870 Express magnum can take 2 3/4, 3, or magnum length shells - I like having that option.

Certainly, if you want a Saiga 12, go for it. Not for me.
    Saigas also take 2 3/4" - 3" magnum shells. I own an 870 Expres Super Mag myself; they're excellent guns! I don't think there is any better "hunting" shotgun than the 870 series Remington. (I've owned different models of them for over 30yrs.)

However! After comparing the TWO against each other I would have to say, the Saiga 12 is a more "tactically" sound platform. It would appear the people on the Spike channel's "The Worlds Greatest Warrior" also agree with me. (Mossberg & Remington share basically the same platform.)

Saiga 12's are begining to take hold in competition AND many LEO departments across the country are considering Saiga 12's for their departments. (Some have already employed them.)

The Saiga is also a LOT more utilized throughout the "World" for LEO and military operations than Remington. Saigas have just been more difficult to get in the country because of our "Assault" weapons laws.

Yea I saw that part of the show, only cool part that the Russian douches did :)

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    That big drum magazine is capable of some serious "suppressive fire"...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links