M1 carbine for HD

M1 carbine for HD

This is a discussion on M1 carbine for HD within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been looking for a HD rifle with good range and accuracy. While an AR is on my wish list price is curently keeping ...

M1 carbine for HD

I have been looking for a HD rifle with good range and accuracy. While an AR is on my wish list price is curently keeping me away. I like the .308 round. Does anyone use an M1 carbine for HD? Any other rifles I should have on my list? other thoughts suggestions notions etc. pics are always a plus.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

upon further research an M1 might be in the same price range a an AR

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    What .308 round do you like? Not all cartridges that shoot bullets of nominal .30 caliber are anywhere near the same. When someone says ".308" in a sentence, they usually mean .308 Winchester, a very close twin of the 7.62x51 NATO round, which is MUCH larger than the .30 M1 Carbine round. Same diameter bullet, but the larger cartridge shoots a longer, heavier bullet at higher velocity.

The M1 Carbine is a very respectable home defense weapon. Some commercial ones have been problematic. I bought a military version, which was going to be a home defense weapon my wife could use, but before I could test it for reliability, my wife came across the bolt assembly while it was disassembled, and she tossed it into the trash. Now, our M1 Carbine is a wall hanger.

The NYC PD Stakeout Unit favored the M1 Carbine, back in their day. (I think they were disbanded during the 1970's.) The M1 Carbine is a handy rifle for indoor use, and its 110-grain jacketed softpoint ammo has a proven track record against bad guys.

I prefer the Mini-14 because its safety is better-positioned for lefties like me.

I like the M1 Carbine best of all for such a purpose. If a military gun, be certain it will feed your chosen bullet design. Mine feeds anything. My dad's is only reliable with FMJs.

I think that it would be a good HD weapon, i dont have one but i want one.
    "When you have to shoot, Shoot! Don't talk."

If you want an all purpose home rifle, get a good ole' Marlin 30-30, but in my opinion...a good rifle is for use around the perimeter, not inside.
    Your pistol and shottie should be the true welcoming committee.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    I use a M1 carbine for HD, but the .30 carbine round is really a pistol round and not close to .308 Wincehster, but much closer to .357 magnum in power levels.

A kahr M1 carbine runs around $600-$700

A mil surplus in VG condition is close to an AR inprice.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    I too am thinking of buying one, probaly one from Auto Ordinance, with the Choate stock. I have a Ruger PC4 now, which I guess is somewhat similar, but I just kind of like the idea of the M1.

What type of an environment do you live in and what distances are you talking about?

The M1 Carbine, as already mentioned, is a good choice for an indoor long gun. Outdoors it will be effective out to about 150 yards, beyond that you tend to loose your accuracy.

A true rifle caliber, like the .308 Winchester, is a bit much for indoors because of its penetration. It will travel thru the BG, thru several interior walls, thru the exterior wall and still have enough energy to travel a couple hundred yards, unless it happens to hit several 2x4 wall joists and I do mean several. This round has an effective range of 600 – 800 yards and has been known to reach out to 1000 yards.

For myself, I am happy with either the M1 Carbine or the Mini-14 (.223 Rem) as a HD/SD long gun. The .308 is something that I use for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If you want an all purpose home rifle, get a good ole' Marlin 30-30, but in my opinion...a good rifle is for use around the perimeter, not inside.
    Your pistol and shottie should be the true welcoming committee.
    .357 mag on the nightstand shottie by the bed room door

Quote Originally Posted by jdivence View Post
    upon further research an M1 might be in the same price range a an AR
    Not if you get one from the CMP:

M1 Carbine
    RedKnightt

Zombie Squad has it right: "We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything."

I have an after market Universal Arms M1 Carbine and would use it for SD at home in a second. It only weighs about 8lbs with the 30 rd. mag stuffed in it, will shoot like lightning and has little recoil and is about 18 to 20 inches long. Ideal for inside homes and confined places. The price for them is getting steep however, I've seen used ones at local gun shops from the '40's & '50's at a whopping $800.

Originally in WW II, the carbine was designed to replace the venerable 1911 .45 acp, but ended up being a service rifle for rear eschelon troops, cooks, clerks etc, who would not be able to fire off the full power M1 Garand. Needless to say though, the carbine found it's way into combat in many theaters. So as a SD weapon, it would do just fine, that is of course if you can find enough ammo to feed it.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Links