9mm carbine or sks

9mm carbine or sks

This is a discussion on 9mm carbine or sks within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I used to have an sks and Im thinking of getting another. But would a 9mm carbine be a better choice for plinking varmints huting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

9mm carbine or sks

I used to have an sks and Im thinking of getting another. But would a 9mm carbine be a better choice for plinking varmints huting and home defence duties. Ammo for both is pretty reasonable. And the budget is pretty slim. I wanted an m-1 carbine but collectors shot those prices way up. So the sks and a 9mm carbine are something Im looking at. If I go other than sks Itll be 9mm so I can keep on hand calibers to a minimum. Thanks everybody have a great day. Sixgun

i have both and shoot the Beretta Storm 9mm more than my Sks its a fun plinker YMMV

Lead Moderator
    For a short range gun I would pick the 9mm, especially if you have a 9mm pistol. However the outdoor ranges I have in my area, I prefer a rifle cartridge to reach out with.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    Hard to really escape the apples and oranges aspect - as they are IMO quite different animals. Mainly due to the power factor and so, potential.

Like Bud I like my Storm a lot - cheap ammo - good accuracy and of course, it pretty much maximizes the 9mm round. I don't think tho it serves all that well much beyond 50 yards tho 100 yard shooting is fun. I do tho wring out my AK quite a bit so - all depends on the day!

The 7.62x39 OTOH is more a rifle round than carbine - and does stretch you to say 200 yards even if group is scattered..... whether SKS or AK.

The carbine would I think be better for HD - lower power but very easy shooting and probably well adequate. From a hunting/varmint POV tho - the SKS is probably more versatile.

You might even find a Marlin Camp 9 - another carbine option and I like mine but just not as much as the Beretta. On balance I think a carbine might be your better bet, while you wait to get an AK or SKS
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I think either one would serve your purposes. Did you enjoy your SKS or was it just another gun? If you really liked it then maybe you should go back to an sks. If you didn't care for it then an 9mm carbine might be more fun. I like Kel-Tec's Sub-2000. The have a model that accepts GLOCK mags so you can have a 33rd 9mm carbine. Plus they are really handy/quick to point and would certainly be better for HD.

Senior Moderator
    Depends on what you want it to do.

Pistols are pistols, and rifles are rifles.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

Matt

Just to throw another variable in there, have you considered a pistol caliber lever action carbine? I love my little 94 Trapper in 45 Colt, and you can get them in 44 and 357 Mag also. I guess you would have to go used to get a Winnie, but the Marlins are great as well. Some neat pump actions out there as well in pistol calibers (Rossi/Taurus Puma?). Not as much firepower for HD, but great plinkers, brush guns, and a wide variety of ammo options. Would be an excellent excuse to buy an SA revolver to go with it sometime down the road.

Of the two you mentioned, I would go with the SKS. Even though 7.62x39 is getting a little harder to find, it's still dirt cheap. If you're going to use a carbine/rifle, might as well have some power to go with it! I do understand your wish to keep on-hand calibers to a minimum, but variety is the spice of life!!
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final." - Bill Jordan

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Don't know how much a Storm is in the US, but up here a SKS goes for $150-$300 depending on model and the Storm for $1,000.

You can build a very nice SKS for a few hunderd dollars, new stock, clean up the trigger, new sights, larger capcity mag and a bayonet for when it really needs to be up close and personal.

Luckily 7.62x39 is cheap up here and plentiful

The Storm is nice, and I would get one if I could afford it, but would prefer it in .40cal. My friends say that they want to clean up the trigger on theirs. (We also have to extend the barrel to remove the range only restriction, another $500, but it is the only carbine up here that is allowed 10rds :) )

Thanks for the tips guys. Ill most likely end up with an sks for the budget and its longer range. Ive looked at kel-tecs rugers and some others. And Chris that marlin camp 9 looks real nice I might try to locate one of those if there reasonable. But with other projects the sks probably will fit the intinded purpose. Thanks again for all the input. Have a great day Sixgun.

I really loved my Kel-Tec Sub 2000 9mm folding carbine. I thought it was one of those mistakes to trade it for a Beretta M92FS. So I recently traded some stuff for a new Sub 2000 .40 and I can't wait to wring 'er out! I'll do a range report when I do.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    I really loved my Kel-Tec Sub 2000 9mm folding carbine. I thought it was one of those mistakes to trade it for a Beretta M92FS. So I recently traded some stuff for a new Sub 2000 .40 and I can't wait to wring 'er out! I'll do a range report when I do.
    I look forward to your impressions - don't forget.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I have a 9mm PC9 and a SKS. I like both. The 9mm uses the same mags as my P95, which is a plus for it. The SKS is cheap and uses a potent round.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

My home defense gun is a pistol - I don't want to deal with the length of even a short carbine.

When my stamp comes back (any day now) on my HK-51, I may have a different idea. ;0
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Ex I see you used to have a kt sub 2000 in 9mm. I havent ruled that one out yet. How did you like it and was it a good shooter. A friend has the 40 version and loves it. I just cant get over that funky look of those. Have a great day Sixgun

Exclamation Sub2000 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by sixgun
    Ex I see you used to have a kt sub 2000 in 9mm. I havent ruled that one out yet. How did you like it and was it a good shooter. A friend has the 40 version and loves it. I just cant get over that funky look of those. Have a great day Sixgun
    I loved my Sub200 9mm! It never jammed and was very accurate. Recoil was nonexistent. I ran more than a few IDPA carbine courses with it. I LOVED the way it folded up ... very 007!

I regret trading it for the Beretta M92FS (although I still have the Beretta) and I have just acquired a Sub2000 in the 40 Glock. I'll do a range report when I get it.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links