Ithaca 37 As the home defense shotty

This is a discussion on Ithaca 37 As the home defense shotty within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I found an Ithaca 37 Police Special that was a police trade in at a local shop. They are asking $280 for it and I ...

Thread: Ithaca 37 As the home defense shotty

I found an Ithaca 37 Police Special that was a police trade in at a local shop. They are asking $280 for it and I am thinking I am jumping on the deal tom. The gun is set up with a 20 inch barrel a 7shot mag tube from the factory and a full stock with a pistol grip. I have no experience with the model 37's but everything I can find so far is putting them at dead nuts reliable for function. Anyone have an opinion?

Sounds like it would work just fine...and short enough to be good in and around the homefront.
    Go get it!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    I absolutely love mine. It's been a true workhorse and I've never had a jam.
    It even feeds those stumpy little shorty half-shells.

The only problem you'll have with it is if you want to make it Tac-Ti-Cool because there are not many "trick it out" shotty gizmos available for it.

Though Choate Machine & Tool does make nice aftermarket hi-quality folding & Polymer stocks for it.

Mine is box-stock with no modifications & w/ a traditional factory wood stock and I happen to like mine that way.

In "as new" condition there is a 20" riot on Gunbroker right now with 6 bids at $575.00

I've known and loved Ithaca pump shotguns for years.
    Go for it!!!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Quote Originally Posted by gilliland87 View Post
    I found an Ithaca 37 Police Special that was a police trade in at a local shop. They are asking $280 for it and I am thinking I am jumping on the deal tom. The gun is set up with a 20 inch barrel a 7shot mag tube from the factory and a full stock with a pistol grip. I have no experience with the model 37's but everything I can find so far is putting them at dead nuts reliable for function. Anyone have an opinion?
    Sure...I have an opinion about your deal and the Ithaca 37...........GET IT! For $280? Those models were made in the mid-late 1970's and were slam-fire capable. I had one circa 1976 but got stupid and sold it. The price is also a killer deal especially if it has the original wood engraved stock and metal butt plate. If I laid my eyes on another one like the one I had, I'd do anything to get it for that price! My guess is it's a 37A Featherlight? I know a good shop that will re-parkerize it and put all new springs in it for you f you get it and it needs work. Diamond Gunsmithing in PA....he used to work for Ithaca. You can find several quality aftermarket stocks for this as well last I knew. Dude......you don't know what kind of deal you're really looking at here. They are smooth, and bottom feed/bottom eject. You have to own one to know what I'm talking about. But then again...I got stupid and sold mine. Probably put 12 rounds through it in the five years that I owned it. All the mechanisms on this shotgun are in the right place for any right handed shooter, and I don't think you could make one jam if you tried. I think I'll find a dark hole and crawl in it now.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Excellent shotgun. Ranks right up there with the Rem 870 and Mossberg 500's/590's. Get it quick! It won't be around long!
    NRA Life Member

I would have somebody who KNOWS the 37 to look at it-specifically, the shell latches- before you buy.

When used hard with buckshot and slugs, the shell latches tend to fail/break, rendering the gun inoperative. Some police departments shoot their shotguns very little; others shoot them a lot.

The agency I retired from issued the Ithaca 37 for over 20 years. We finally got the okay to get rid of them after a spectacular shell latch failure that almost cost a trooper his life.

A well-maintained 37 is a fine shotgun. Most police guns, of any type, are anything BUT well-maintained.

Opinions vary. I ran my agency's FTU for many years, dealing with those Ithacas and a ton of 870s. As far as I'm concerned the Ithaca isn't even close to the ruggedness and reliability of the 870 or Mossberg 590 series.

$280 is a "good price"... IF the shotgun is in good shape mechanically. And no, sorry, I cannot tell you "what to look for" in regards to the condition of the shell latches. Its one of those hands-on things...

Just FYI...

thanks for the input guys

I went back and handled a couple of the Ithaca's today and ended up putting one on lay away (it sucks not bringing it home but what can ya do)

Thank you for the tips on the shell latches, and on diamond gunsmithing.

Ithaca 37 was the NYPD's shotgun for years. GREAT shotgun!!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Administrator
    buy it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gilliland87 View Post
    -------

$280 ? BUY! BUY! BUY!

I have one.
    --
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Links