I really need help.

This is a discussion on I really need help. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, my absolutely wonderful wife gave me an incentive. Ya see, we just bought a house and have a little bit of credit card debt ...

Thread: I really need help.

I really need help.

So, my absolutely wonderful wife gave me an incentive.

Ya see, we just bought a house and have a little bit of credit card debt built up, well under $4000. The incentive is that, once we get the credit cards paid off then I get to put up to $1600 back on one of them, in the form of a new "black" rifle.

Now, I really need help in deciding which one to go with.

I'm really looking at the M&P 15 chambered in 5.45x39. I own a VEPR in that caliber and absolutely love the round, especially the cost ( 2160 rds for $398 or approx. $.184 per round). Can anyone convince me NOT to go with this rifle?

I am also very interested in the SIG 556 (I own a P229).

I'll probably get another AK chambered in 7.62 tonight, so no need there.

Any suggestions on brands, accessories and all that fun stuff is very much appreciated.

Thanks
    S&W 638 .38 :: Sig P229 :: Ruger MkIII :: VEPR K 5.45x39 AK-74 :: Mosin Nagant M44 :: Hi-Point 995 9mm (shoulder fired pistol)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    There's always the AR10
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I'll have to claim complete ignorance on that one.. I'm not even sure what an AR10 is at this point... google, here I come
    S&W 638 .38 :: Sig P229 :: Ruger MkIII :: VEPR K 5.45x39 AK-74 :: Mosin Nagant M44 :: Hi-Point 995 9mm (shoulder fired pistol)

An Ar-10 is an AR platform that shoots .308

One of the rifles I hope to get someday when I have more disposable income is a Springfield Armory M1A in .308, I love the way M-14's and there clones feel. I'd also take a hard look at one of their SOCOM models.

Although nothing wrong with any of your other choices either, and having a common caliber for two rifles is seldom a bad thing.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I used to own an M&P15 but it was in the traditional .223/5.56 NATO chambering. I am pretty much a traditionalist when it comes to guns. I won't own a 1911 that is not full size and .45 ACP, I will not own an AK-47 that is not 7.62x39, and I will not own an AR-15 that is not 5.56. There is nothing wrong with owning an AR-15 in 5.45x39, or an AK variant in .223, that is just my personal thing.

The Smith & Wesson M&P15 is a fantastic rifle, but I sold mine, well to be honest I am not sure why I sold it. I suppose I am still attached to the AK-47 a bit more because it fires a bigger round and is much more tolerant to mud, sand, dirt, and moisture. If given the chance I would not hesitate to pick up another M&P15.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I like the idea of getting an AR so that I can change out the uppers and actually shoot several calibers.

I havent shot one yet but after careful inspection of one I am a huge fan of the Ruger SR-556. What is really cool about it is that it is a flattop and quadrail rifle that acually includes front and rear sights (I know some other makers offer that too but at what price), it is gas piston (again other makers have these but they are only options and they are costly), and my favorite part is that is comes with 3 MagPul PMags. That last bit I hope becomes more common in the gun trade in the coming years.

IMO - You don't get a better weapon then the MP15.. I'm sure many will tell me differently, but there is only two manufactures of the lower sections and the price changes on the weapon from what you have on from there. Triggers assy, stocks, sights, barrels, all effect the price, but S&W has a good name and is priced right.... I'd go for it, just check around for pricing,..

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    5.45x39 cheapest ammo you can get!!! 335.00 for 2160 rounds

It might not be a "Black Rifle" but for $1,300 an Auto Ordnance "Tommy-Gun" would sure be on my short list.

Auto-Ordnance | Original manufacturer of the world famous "Tommy Gun"

Thompson | Products | Long Guns

The best help I could give would be to advise that if you are able to pay off $4000 in credit card debt over a short period, then after doing so, you should be able to quickly save the money for your rifle and pay cash instead of creating another credit card bill.

Just my $.02.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Links