Defensive Carry banner

.22lr rifle suggestions...

4K views 37 replies 33 participants last post by  gregarat 
#1 ·
I want to get a nice .22 rifle for the collection. I haven't been in the market for one in a while and would like some suggestions as to which direction I should be looking.

I think I want a bolt action with a nice trigger but if there are semi-auto models that have similar accuracy, features and price point I would consider that too. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

~Siafu

#3 ·
The 10/22 is a standard, but its really just standard quality when it comes down to it. Good thing is, you can do a lot with them.

If you really want a nice 22, check out the T/C classic or the Kimber line.

#4 ·
I have 19 .22 rifles, and agree with both Ron and Sixto. You also might look at the Savage Mako; it has the adjustable trigger, and is very accurate.

#6 ·
The CZ line is very nice as well as the Kimbers. The Ruger is the most utilitarian, and easily converted and customized. Marlins bolts and autos both have impressed me in their accuracy and overall quality to value ratio.

#8 ·
I just bought a Marlin Model 60 in stainless. It's a great rifle but I need to do a trigger job on it. Pulls to the right because the TP is about 11 or 12 pounds and gritty. I'm aiming for between 2 and 3 pounds although any improvement would be welcome.

#13 ·
The Ruger 10/22 is very affordable, and has parts galore available. The Ruger 77/22 is a really fine rifle, but the trigger is somewhat heavy. CZ makes a fine rifle as well.

Now, if you really have big $$$$, get an Anschutz.

#16 ·
A 10/22 with a ton of aftermarket goodies...

#19 ·
It will depend on your skill level. If you are a decent marksman, I think you will be a little disappointed with Savage in direct comparison with the CZ. I'm assuming the CZ you shot was one of the better models. If your a casual plinker or hunter, the Savage is a great accurate gun.

#20 ·
I personally have a Remington 597. It's a blast to shoot, especially with the 30 rd mag. It's been very reliable, and I've had no problems with it. It's also pretty accurate. I love plinking shot gun shells with it.

#21 ·
It's been a while since I shot it so I had to go check what I have. A Springfield Model 56 (Manufactured by Stevens Arms Company). It has treated my Grandfather, Dad and now myself very well and is a ton of fun for just shooting. With the odd iron sights I have been accurate to 100 yards no problem and shot many varmints with it.

#22 ·
Marlin bolt actions seem to be solid, at least all the ones I've shot have been. My Savage .22 semi-auto has had a few hiccups with certain kinds of ammo, but for the 100 dollar gun it is, its plenty accurate.

I'll throw this one out there a Henry .22 lever action. I know you made no mention of lever actions, but I have one that is a sweet shooting, smooth .22

#23 ·
Never had one but would like to have a Marlin Model 39A. At least the ones made years back that I've fired were very nice.

The CZ's and that Savage Mark II look to be good values. My son has the little Savage Mark II and it's a tack driver.

I have several .22 rifles that see constant use but they're all oldies.

One old obsolete .22 rifle design that I really like is the Remington "500" series bolt actions made from around 1940 to the late 1960s. These rifles are full sized for adults and fit me well. They will really stack the bullets into one hole with good ammo. They're durable, of simple construction, and parts are still readily available and inexpensive. The triggers aren't bad and may be made to be quite nice. They're still easily found, occasionally for less than a hundred bucks for a doggy-looking one that's still a serviceable shooter. It's only a matter of which style floats ones boat.

Model 510 "Targetmaster" single shot
Model 511 "Scoremaster" detachable magazine
Model 512 "Sportsmaster" tubular magazine
Model 513T "Matchmaster" heavy barreled target variation, detachable magazine
Model 513S "Matchmaster" sporter weight target variation, detachable magazine

I've enjoyed a lot of shooting fun over the years with a Model 510 and Model 512 and once had a Model 513T for small bore competition. Its a shame they aren't still produced.

Only my opinion but the Ruger 10/22 leaves me cold. I've only observed and fired others' rifles but find it to be overrated.

#27 ·
Marlin 60 is an incredible rifle, I got one for 80 bucks at a pawn shop a couple years ago and it's been one of the best purchases I've made. The 10/22 is always a good standby too, especially for dragging around in the dirt.

#29 ·
Kimber if you afford one, mine can get 1/2" groups at 75yards without much trouble... and I have shot sub 1/3" groups at 50yards consistently... the trigger is nice and so is the balance and the stock.

#31 ·
One more vote here for the Savage Mark II. I have the BV and it is a wonderful, accurate and dependable rifle.

Gun Rifle Benchrest shooting Shooting sport Shooting

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.