Home Defense Shotgun on a Budget - Page 2

Home Defense Shotgun on a Budget

This is a discussion on Home Defense Shotgun on a Budget within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I baught a Maverick 88, made by mossberg. basicaly a mosberg 500, the only difference in the safety is by the trigger guard, and not ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Defense Shotgun on a Budget

I baught a Maverick 88, made by mossberg. basicaly a mosberg 500, the only difference in the safety is by the trigger guard, and not by the thumb. it shoots 3" magnums too. I can be had at Wally world for $167 bones brand new!

James
    Active Duty Air Force
    NRA Life Member
    CCW

Quote Originally Posted by BradyM77 View Post
    Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
    agreed but i would not want to be burryed by the 12 that see the other guys way.

03ramit1
    agreed but i would not want to be burryed by the 12 that see the other guys way.
    If he was in one of the more liberal states then I would agree with you. But in SC he should be fine with it's use in a home invasion.

SECTION 16-11-420. Intent and findings of General Assembly.

(A) It is the intent of the General Assembly to codify the common law Castle Doctrine which recognizes that a person's home is his castle and to extend the doctrine to include an occupied vehicle and the person's place of business.

(B) The General Assembly finds that it is proper for law-abiding citizens to protect themselves, their families, and others from intruders and attackers without fear of prosecution or civil action for acting in defense of themselves and others.

(C) The General Assembly finds that Section 20, Article I of the South Carolina Constitution guarantees the right of the people to bear arms, and this right shall not be infringed.

(D) The General Assembly finds that persons residing in or visiting this State have a right to expect to remain unmolested and safe within their homes, businesses, and vehicles.

(E) The General Assembly finds that no person or victim of crime should be required to surrender his personal safety to a criminal, nor should a person or victim be required to needlessly retreat in the face of intrusion or attack.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Can't beat that price with a stick. Nice job putting together what you wanted for so cheap!
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Won't those three shells on the stock be where your chin or cheek is when fire it?

Nice job. Amazing price. As long as it is reliable, I'd say you beat the curve.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Thanks ya'll,
    I have another one that is pre-'68 (no serial #) with only one slide bar and I'm debating on what to do with it now.

Quote Originally Posted by 03ramit1 View Post
    i dont know that i would want a modifyed gun in a SD situation. your just asking for the laywer on the other side to call you...
    It's my house. If BG comes thru my locked doors/windows in the dark (or daylight for that matter) and stays to enjoy the blaring alarm that the neighbors can hear over a block away... then he deserves what ever he gets.
    Besides, South Carolina is very 'Castle Doctrine' friendly!

Quote Originally Posted by BradyM77 View Post
    I saw the pic, you're right, it's ugly. But then I saw your price break-down...that's beautiful! Awesome job on the shrewd buys!
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Quote Originally Posted by Flybynight View Post
    Won't those three shells on the stock be where your chin or cheek is when fire it?
    My concern was that they would obstruct or hamper my vision when at cheek level, but they are not much bother at all.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Brady, I have a Remington 870 with a 28" barrel and have thought about cutting it down to 18.5". Can you explain how you cut it? Is it as easy as taking a hacksaw to it? Did you do any cold blueing or anything?

Thanks
    MT
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

Your thriftiness is an inspiration.

Biker

It's just an old beater with a fancy looking stock kit. So I wasn't real concerned with asthetics. I just took a hacksaw to it nice and slow with no distractions around me. It's not perfectly straight but I didn't care about being perfect. To me it was surprisingly easy to cut. I used some medium grit sand paper on one finger to clean out the burs on the end of the barrel. I didn't bother blueing the end as the whole gun could use a new finish. I've been contemplating painting it with DuraCoat. But that's in the future for now.

I knew it to be a 28 inch barrel so I just measured backward from the muzzle 9.5 inches then moved just beyond that to be sure, marked it with a sharpie and went to town. Turns out it is actually almost 18.75 inches and that is OK with me. Leaves a little extra if I wanted to try to even it up with a dremil and stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    It's just an old beater with a fancy looking stock kit. So I wasn't real concerned with asthetics. I just took a hacksaw to it nice and slow with no distractions around me. It's not perfectly straight but I didn't care about being perfect. To me it was surprisingly easy to cut. I used some medium grit sand paper on one finger to clean out the burs on the end of the barrel. I didn't bother blueing the end as the whole gun could use a new finish. I've been contemplating painting it with DuraCoat. But that's in the future for now.

I knew it to be a 28 inch barrel so I just measured backward from the muzzle 9.5 inches then moved just beyond that to be sure, marked it with a sharpie and went to town. Turns out it is actually almost 18.75 inches and that is OK with me. Leaves a little extra if I wanted to try to even it up with a dremil and stone.
    Thanks!! I think I saw a thread here where a guy painted his shotty with caliper paint and it looked pretty cool and should be pretty durable. Check it out, it might be a little cheaper than duracoat. I wonder if the barrel could be cut with a pipe cutter, that way it would be straight? Anyone know?

MT
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

a pipe cutter might work as long as there is not a rib running allong the the top. allthough you might have to be careful at a pipe cutter might slightly crush the edge a little. so you might want to check it with a micrometer

For folks who didn't already know, if you have been watching a unknown brand-name of shotgun or rifle locally or if you would like to try searching the net for yourself a house-brand gun, here are 2 good cross reference information sources for 'who made what'. Every once in a while you will find a good deal on gunbroker.com and it helps to know what you are looking at. Happy hunting.

Store Brand to Manufacturer Cross Reference | Numrich Gun Parts Corp. | e-GunParts.com

Hoosier Gun Works : Online Catalog : Firearms Cross Reference

VIP Member
    That looks like it'll get the job done.

+1 On a Great job
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links