Colt or no?

This is a discussion on Colt or no? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I want an AR... I prefer a Colt. They are around 1499 at the local toy store here. Is that a good price (compared to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32

Thread: Colt or no?

  1. #1
    Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Near Hotlanta!!
    Posts
    1,334

    Colt or no?

    I want an AR...

    I prefer a Colt.

    They are around 1499 at the local toy store here.

    Is that a good price (compared to the rest of the avg you have seen)? It is a basic right handed mode. Do they make a lefty like stag?

    Chambered for Nato 5.56mm accepts .223 which is extremely important for me in the long run.

    Barrel length is 20". Should I look at 24"? My desire is to have a home defense (frangible), deer (legal to hunt with AR in GA), and I would like to get a .22LR conversion for saving money in high speed training drills and so forth.

    Last question: Why colt if there is a proven and equally machined weapon that is the same quality and capability.? If you know of one please let me know.

    I appreciate the always welcome feedback from our great community here.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Ex Member Array BikerRN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    State of Discombobulation
    Posts
    5,254
    Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post
    I want an AR...

    I prefer a Colt.

    They are around 1499 at the local toy store here.

    Is that a good price (compared to the rest of the avg you have seen)? It is a basic right handed mode. Do they make a lefty like stag?

    Chambered for Nato 5.56mm accepts .223 which is extremely important for me in the long run.

    Barrel length is 20". Should I look at 24"? My desire is to have a home defense (frangible), deer (legal to hunt with AR in GA), and I would like to get a .22LR conversion for saving money in high speed training drills and so forth.

    Last question: Why colt if there is a proven and equally machined weapon that is the same quality and capability.? If you know of one please let me know.

    I appreciate the always welcome feedback from our great community here.
    Check out Gunbroker.

    Sometimes it pays to shop around. I won't tell you what I got my Colt for, as it's a LEO deal. If you go to Colt's website and check out the LEO links they will have a list of LEO dealers.

    If you're not a LEO then I'd try Gunbroker.

    Biker

  4. #3
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    34,588
    I'd stay with a shorter barrel.

    Doggone I hate it when people do what I'm about to do right now...but, were I you...I would go for the SIG 556.
    And as an added plus it's a good rifle for southpaws.

    All of the functional reliability of an AK with the extreme accuracy of AR.

  5. #4
    VIP Member Array Rob72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    3,468
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

    All of the functional reliability of an AK with the extreme accuracy of AR.
    Ditto. Colt is overpriced and over-proprietary. But, if it's what you want, the price would be average for the market...

  6. #5
    Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,414
    I would look into the other brands. I own a DPMS and it is great. Colt is a great company but they charge a LOT for that brand name.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

  7. #6
    VIP Member Array jwhite75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    5,320
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Check out Gunbroker.

    Sometimes it pays to shop around. I won't tell you what I got my Colt for, as it's a LEO deal. If you go to Colt's website and check out the LEO links they will have a list of LEO dealers.

    If you're not a LEO then I'd try Gunbroker.

    Biker
    +1 if you are set on a Colt, I don't blame you....I have a 6721. It has the heavy Match Barrel, I love it. I got mine for a amazingly awesome deal forma very friendly gun dealer who takes care of his best customers. But I also agree on trying to find a shorter barrel, better for HD and trying to stalk thru the woods for hunting. The price itself is average. I also would look to GunBroker for pieces to build your own. I have a coworker who has built three in various flavors for way less than the avearge "assembled" gun. All Sabre Defence stuff. Very Nice. Point is do some research. There are a lot of options.

    I do like the new Gas piston systems over the old direct impingement i will probably buy something like this for my next one. That 556 is one nice gun and so is the HK 416.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.


    I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

  8. #7
    Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Near Hotlanta!!
    Posts
    1,334
    the local shop has DPMS but only in the no fwd assist flavor right now.

    They also sell olympic arms ar which I know nothing about.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

  9. #8
    VIP Member Array jwhite75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    5,320
    Here is a Colt very similar to mine for 1289 plus 25 shipping.
    Colt Ar-15 M4 LE Carbine LE6920 NO CREDIT CARD FEE : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.


    I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

  10. #9
    Member Array ferris's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    Posts
    27
    I would refer you to jwise's thread on officer.com "so you want to buy an ar15, huh?"

    He goes through all of the features of every AR out there. Basically you should stay away from DPMS.

    Go for a 1:7 twist, 5.56, F marked fsb, government profile (or other substitute like socom or medcon), chrome lined chamber and bore, magnetic particle tested and m4 feed ramps.

    You can buy a bare bones CMMG AR-15, 16 inch barrel, for around $800 or so, iirc.

    You should read his whole thread though. It is a very good write up.

    EDIT: If you buy online, buy the upper first and then get the lower shipped to your FFL. It'll save you money with the firearms tax.

  11. #10
    Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    656
    What about a Colt is proprietary? That's absurd and asinine. Colt holds THE gov't contract for the M4 and shares the contract for M16's with FNH... They are the standard - Stag's lefties are an example of something proprietary... and they're the only ones that make 'em.

    DPMS is junk, I won't sugar coat it for ya.

    If a main consideration is home defense, get a Colt 6920 (or 6921 with a perm'd flashhider) and don't look back. The 16" barrel (or 14.5" on a 6921) will be a good balance between handiness and enough barrel length to get you decent terminal ballistics. Add an Aimpoint CompC3 and BUIS, a good sling and a light and you're have a rock solid basic Home Defense Carbine. You can get a 6920 for $1200-$1300 if you shop around.

    If you want something non-Colt but just as good get an LMT, Charles Daly, Noveske, or Daniel Defense. If you wanna build it, get a BCM or LMT lower and upper from G&R Tactical, BCM, LMT, or G&R F/A BCG and other assorted parts to your liking. What you'll find is that to get a good mil-spec TDP meeting rifle you're gonna end up paying somewhere in the same ball park. You can probably get by with something as low as $1K if you build. Don't forget to budget for mags and ammo too!

    There will be all kinds of people to crawl out of the wood work to tell you their DPMS/Bushmaster/Olympic Arms is just as good... They're not. They don't have the same quality parts or assembly and there is little to no Quality Control on final products. For a serious rifle they just don't cut the mustard. For a plinker/paper puncher, they're marginally fine, but for a couple hundred more you can get quality, so why waste your hard earned money?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

    The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

  12. #11
    VIP Member Array jwhite75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    5,320
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    What about a Colt is proprietary? That's absurd and asinine. Colt holds THE gov't contract for the M4 and shares the contract for M16's with FNH... They are the standard - Stag's lefties are an example of something proprietary... and they're the only ones that make 'em.

    DPMS is junk, I won't sugar coat it for ya.

    If a main consideration is home defense, get a Colt 6920 (or 6921 with a perm'd flashhider) and don't look back. The 16" barrel (or 14.5" on a 6921) will be a good balance between handiness and enough barrel length to get you decent terminal ballistics. Add an Aimpoint CompC3 and BUIS, a good sling and a light and you're have a rock solid basic Home Defense Carbine. You can get a 6920 for $1200-$1300 if you shop around.

    If you want something non-Colt but just as good get an LMT, Charles Daly, Noveske, or Daniel Defense. If you wanna build it, get a BCM or LMT lower and upper from G&R Tactical, BCM, LMT, or G&R F/A BCG and other assorted parts to your liking. What you'll find is that to get a good mil-spec TDP meeting rifle you're gonna end up paying somewhere in the same ball park. You can probably get by with something as low as $1K if you build. Don't forget to budget for mags and ammo too!

    There will be all kinds of people to crawl out of the wood work to tell you their DPMS/Bushmaster/Olympic Arms is just as good... They're not. They don't have the same quality parts or assembly and there is little to no Quality Control on final products. For a serious rifle they just don't cut the mustard. For a plinker/paper puncher, they're marginally fine, but for a couple hundred more you can get quality, so why waste your hard earned money?

    +1 something worth spending money on is worth spendign right. In the long run a couple hundred extra is worth every penny.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.


    I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

  13. #12
    Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Near Hotlanta!!
    Posts
    1,334
    I cant possibly respond to all the awesome people who gave me their thoughts but I thank you immensely.

    I am the process of reading the "so you wanna" page right now.

    I am ex-military and shot a multitude of these weapons. This will be my first civilian AR and I know there can be some differences that are not up to MilSpec quality.

    I went on a "Check out all the shops binge today".

    I really have to say there are some nice ones out there. I know colts cost a bit more but I like the name and I used one in the military. I am really comfortable with the performance. I am still looking around right now and by utilizing the feedback I have gotten here I am stoked that I will more than likely make the best decision.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

  14. #13
    Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Near Hotlanta!!
    Posts
    1,334
    Quote Originally Posted by ferris View Post
    I would refer you to jwise's thread on officer.com "so you want to buy an ar15, huh?"

    He goes through all of the features of every AR out there. Basically you should stay away from DPMS.

    Go for a 1:7 twist, 5.56, F marked fsb, government profile (or other substitute like socom or medcon), chrome lined chamber and bore, magnetic particle tested and m4 feed ramps.

    You can buy a bare bones CMMG AR-15, 16 inch barrel, for around $800 or so, iirc.

    You should read his whole thread though. It is a very good write up.

    EDIT: If you buy online, buy the upper first and then get the lower shipped to your FFL. It'll save you money with the firearms tax.
    Really darn good information.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

  15. #14
    Member Array Timothy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    47
    Only on the internet could someone argue that a rifle that looks great, runs great, and always hits what its aimed at is junk. Do not be afraid to spend less than $1000.00 on an AR. Good luck

  16. #15
    Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    656
    Your sample of one may run fine. That doesn't mean DPMS isn't junk. They have a higher rate of failure than any other AR manufacturer with the exception of Olympic Arms. They empirically do not meet even the minimum standard laid out by the TDP - let alone exceed it.

    But if you think we should recommend a rifle known for substandard parts and high rate of failure to a man who has stated he wants to protect his family with it... well, that's on you. I personally will not recommend that someone use something to protect his family that his a high percentage of going click when it needs to go boom - I won't be responsible for him being shot in the middle of the night by a man who goes on to kill (or worse) his family while the poster watches with his dying breath because he saved a couple hundred dollars on a junk rifle.

    Carbine instructors, security contractors, former soldiers and amorers, and just about anyone else that has run their rifles hard has seen the failures of DPMS. As this chart shows, they don't meet even the minimum standards. So tell me why they aren't junk?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

    The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Colt Defender vs Colt New Agent
    By jwalker497 in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: April 10th, 2012, 09:08 PM
  2. New Colt Pic's
    By RoadRunner71 in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: August 11th, 2009, 04:23 PM
  3. Colt 6920 or Colt 6940
    By dbraves8 in forum Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: June 29th, 2009, 11:07 PM
  4. Old Colt, my first
    By WilliamWallace in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: March 2nd, 2009, 03:21 PM
  5. Colt Junior .25 vs. FN copy of Colt 1908 .25: Please choose
    By Piglet in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: August 3rd, 2008, 04:05 PM

Search tags for this page

colt 6920

,

colt 6920 for home defense

,

colt 6920 home defense forum

,

colt 6920 vs 6921

,

colt 6921 vs 6920

,

colt le6920 acog for survival

,
colt le6920 direct infringement
,

colt le6920 for home defense

,
le6920 for home defense
,
powered by mybb olympic arms plinker
,
powered by mybb to bear arms
,
why are le colt rifles exspensive
Click on a term to search for related topics.