Colt or no?

This is a discussion on Colt or no? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I want an AR... I prefer a Colt. They are around 1499 at the local toy store here. Is that a good price (compared to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt or no?

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar

Colt or no?

I want an AR...

I prefer a Colt.

They are around 1499 at the local toy store here.

Is that a good price (compared to the rest of the avg you have seen)? It is a basic right handed mode. Do they make a lefty like stag?

Chambered for Nato 5.56mm accepts .223 which is extremely important for me in the long run.

Barrel length is 20". Should I look at 24"? My desire is to have a home defense (frangible), deer (legal to hunt with AR in GA), and I would like to get a .22LR conversion for saving money in high speed training drills and so forth.

Last question: Why colt if there is a proven and equally machined weapon that is the same quality and capability.? If you know of one please let me know.

I appreciate the always welcome feedback from our great community here.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post
    I want an AR...

I prefer a Colt.

They are around 1499 at the local toy store here.

Is that a good price (compared to the rest of the avg you have seen)? It is a basic right handed mode. Do they make a lefty like stag?

Chambered for Nato 5.56mm accepts .223 which is extremely important for me in the long run.

Barrel length is 20". Should I look at 24"? My desire is to have a home defense (frangible), deer (legal to hunt with AR in GA), and I would like to get a .22LR conversion for saving money in high speed training drills and so forth.

Last question: Why colt if there is a proven and equally machined weapon that is the same quality and capability.? If you know of one please let me know.

I appreciate the always welcome feedback from our great community here.
    Check out Gunbroker.

Sometimes it pays to shop around. I won't tell you what I got my Colt for, as it's a LEO deal. If you go to Colt's website and check out the LEO links they will have a list of LEO dealers.

If you're not a LEO then I'd try Gunbroker.

Biker

Administrator
    I'd stay with a shorter barrel.

Doggone I hate it when people do what I'm about to do right now...but, were I you...I would go for the SIG 556.
    And as an added plus it's a good rifle for southpaws.

All of the functional reliability of an AK with the extreme accuracy of AR.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

All of the functional reliability of an AK with the extreme accuracy of AR.
    Ditto. Colt is overpriced and over-proprietary. But, if it's what you want, the price would be average for the market...

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I would look into the other brands. I own a DPMS and it is great. Colt is a great company but they charge a LOT for that brand name.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Check out Gunbroker.

Sometimes it pays to shop around. I won't tell you what I got my Colt for, as it's a LEO deal. If you go to Colt's website and check out the LEO links they will have a list of LEO dealers.

If you're not a LEO then I'd try Gunbroker.

Biker
    +1 if you are set on a Colt, I don't blame you....I have a 6721. It has the heavy Match Barrel, I love it. I got mine for a amazingly awesome deal forma very friendly gun dealer who takes care of his best customers. But I also agree on trying to find a shorter barrel, better for HD and trying to stalk thru the woods for hunting. The price itself is average. I also would look to GunBroker for pieces to build your own. I have a coworker who has built three in various flavors for way less than the avearge "assembled" gun. All Sabre Defence stuff. Very Nice. Point is do some research. There are a lot of options.

I do like the new Gas piston systems over the old direct impingement i will probably buy something like this for my next one. That 556 is one nice gun and so is the HK 416.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

the local shop has DPMS but only in the no fwd assist flavor right now.

They also sell olympic arms ar which I know nothing about.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Here is a Colt very similar to mine for 1289 plus 25 shipping.
    Colt Ar-15 M4 LE Carbine LE6920 NO CREDIT CARD FEE : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I would refer you to jwise's thread on officer.com "so you want to buy an ar15, huh?"

He goes through all of the features of every AR out there. Basically you should stay away from DPMS.

Go for a 1:7 twist, 5.56, F marked fsb, government profile (or other substitute like socom or medcon), chrome lined chamber and bore, magnetic particle tested and m4 feed ramps.

You can buy a bare bones CMMG AR-15, 16 inch barrel, for around $800 or so, iirc.

You should read his whole thread though. It is a very good write up.

EDIT: If you buy online, buy the upper first and then get the lower shipped to your FFL. It'll save you money with the firearms tax.

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    What about a Colt is proprietary? That's absurd and asinine. Colt holds THE gov't contract for the M4 and shares the contract for M16's with FNH... They are the standard - Stag's lefties are an example of something proprietary... and they're the only ones that make 'em.

DPMS is junk, I won't sugar coat it for ya.

If a main consideration is home defense, get a Colt 6920 (or 6921 with a perm'd flashhider) and don't look back. The 16" barrel (or 14.5" on a 6921) will be a good balance between handiness and enough barrel length to get you decent terminal ballistics. Add an Aimpoint CompC3 and BUIS, a good sling and a light and you're have a rock solid basic Home Defense Carbine. You can get a 6920 for $1200-$1300 if you shop around.

If you want something non-Colt but just as good get an LMT, Charles Daly, Noveske, or Daniel Defense. If you wanna build it, get a BCM or LMT lower and upper from G&R Tactical, BCM, LMT, or G&R F/A BCG and other assorted parts to your liking. What you'll find is that to get a good mil-spec TDP meeting rifle you're gonna end up paying somewhere in the same ball park. You can probably get by with something as low as $1K if you build. Don't forget to budget for mags and ammo too!

There will be all kinds of people to crawl out of the wood work to tell you their DPMS/Bushmaster/Olympic Arms is just as good... They're not. They don't have the same quality parts or assembly and there is little to no Quality Control on final products. For a serious rifle they just don't cut the mustard. For a plinker/paper puncher, they're marginally fine, but for a couple hundred more you can get quality, so why waste your hard earned money?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    What about a Colt is proprietary? That's absurd and asinine. Colt holds THE gov't contract for the M4 and shares the contract for M16's with FNH... They are the standard - Stag's lefties are an example of something proprietary... and they're the only ones that make 'em.

DPMS is junk, I won't sugar coat it for ya.

If a main consideration is home defense, get a Colt 6920 (or 6921 with a perm'd flashhider) and don't look back. The 16" barrel (or 14.5" on a 6921) will be a good balance between handiness and enough barrel length to get you decent terminal ballistics. Add an Aimpoint CompC3 and BUIS, a good sling and a light and you're have a rock solid basic Home Defense Carbine. You can get a 6920 for $1200-$1300 if you shop around.

If you want something non-Colt but just as good get an LMT, Charles Daly, Noveske, or Daniel Defense. If you wanna build it, get a BCM or LMT lower and upper from G&R Tactical, BCM, LMT, or G&R F/A BCG and other assorted parts to your liking. What you'll find is that to get a good mil-spec TDP meeting rifle you're gonna end up paying somewhere in the same ball park. You can probably get by with something as low as $1K if you build. Don't forget to budget for mags and ammo too!

There will be all kinds of people to crawl out of the wood work to tell you their DPMS/Bushmaster/Olympic Arms is just as good... They're not. They don't have the same quality parts or assembly and there is little to no Quality Control on final products. For a serious rifle they just don't cut the mustard. For a plinker/paper puncher, they're marginally fine, but for a couple hundred more you can get quality, so why waste your hard earned money?

+1 something worth spending money on is worth spendign right. In the long run a couple hundred extra is worth every penny.

I cant possibly respond to all the awesome people who gave me their thoughts but I thank you immensely.

I am the process of reading the "so you wanna" page right now.

I am ex-military and shot a multitude of these weapons. This will be my first civilian AR and I know there can be some differences that are not up to MilSpec quality.

I went on a "Check out all the shops binge today".

I really have to say there are some nice ones out there. I know colts cost a bit more but I like the name and I used one in the military. I am really comfortable with the performance. I am still looking around right now and by utilizing the feedback I have gotten here I am stoked that I will more than likely make the best decision.

Quote Originally Posted by ferris View Post
    I would refer you to jwise's thread on officer.com "so you want to buy an ar15, huh?"

He goes through all of the features of every AR out there. Basically you should stay away from DPMS.

Go for a 1:7 twist, 5.56, F marked fsb, government profile (or other substitute like socom or medcon), chrome lined chamber and bore, magnetic particle tested and m4 feed ramps.

You can buy a bare bones CMMG AR-15, 16 inch barrel, for around $800 or so, iirc.

You should read his whole thread though. It is a very good write up.

EDIT: If you buy online, buy the upper first and then get the lower shipped to your FFL. It'll save you money with the firearms tax.
    Really darn good information.

Only on the internet could someone argue that a rifle that looks great, runs great, and always hits what its aimed at is junk. Do not be afraid to spend less than $1000.00 on an AR. Good luck

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Your sample of one may run fine. That doesn't mean DPMS isn't junk. They have a higher rate of failure than any other AR manufacturer with the exception of Olympic Arms. They empirically do not meet even the minimum standard laid out by the TDP - let alone exceed it.

But if you think we should recommend a rifle known for substandard parts and high rate of failure to a man who has stated he wants to protect his family with it... well, that's on you. I personally will not recommend that someone use something to protect his family that his a high percentage of going click when it needs to go boom - I won't be responsible for him being shot in the middle of the night by a man who goes on to kill (or worse) his family while the poster watches with his dying breath because he saved a couple hundred dollars on a junk rifle.

Carbine instructors, security contractors, former soldiers and amorers, and just about anyone else that has run their rifles hard has seen the failures of DPMS. As this chart shows, they don't meet even the minimum standards. So tell me why they aren't junk?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links