AR-10 or AR-15

This is a discussion on AR-10 or AR-15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; what is the simple blow back operation is that just the cheap conversion kit?? Also I would like to get the 6920 but I want ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AR-10 or AR-15

what is the simple blow back operation is that just the cheap conversion kit??

Also I would like to get the 6920 but I want a heatshiled like the 6940 comes with whats a site where they have heat shields for ar with prices

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    AR15 calibrAR-15, without bolt modification
    .17 Remington
    .20 Tactical
    .204 Ruger
    .221 Fireball
    .222 Remington
    .222 Remington Magnum
    .223 Remington (5.56x45mm)
    .223 Remington Ackley Improved
    6x45mm
    6mm Whisper
    6.5mm Whisper
    7mm Whisper
    7mm TCU
    .300 Whisper (.300/221, .300 Fireball)
    .338 Whisper

AR-15, with bolt modification
    223 WSSM
    5.45x39mm (.21 Genghis)
    243 WSSM
    6mm PPC
    6mm BR Remington
    6.5mm PPC
    6.5mm Grendel
    25 WSSM
    6.8x43mm SPC
    .30 Herrett Rimless Tactical (6.8x43mm case trimmed to 41mm and necked up to .308; the 6.8mm version of the .300 Whisper)
    7.62x39mm
    .357 Auto
    .458 SOCOM
    .50 Action Express
    .50 Beowulf

AR-15 using a simple blowback operation
    .17 HMR
    .22 LR
    .22 WMR
    9x19mm
    40S&W
    10mm Auto
    45ACP
    D.Mighty where did you obtain this information. I am intersted in this as well. I would like to know for sure since I am buying an le 6920 tomorrow or the next day. If there are so many options available and the chamber can mathematically and by design support the different brass and calibers why do we not hear much about it. I would totally love to figure out how to shoot cheap 9mmx19mm pistol rounds through it. But how?
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post
    D.Mighty where did you obtain this information. I am intersted in this as well. I would like to know for sure since I am buying an le 6920 tomorrow or the next day. If there are so many options available and the chamber can mathematically and by design support the different brass and calibers why do we not hear much about it. I would totally love to figure out how to shoot cheap 9mmx19mm pistol rounds through it. But how?

how much are you paying for the 6920 pm me if you dont want to make it public

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Ill send a PM. I do not want to go public out of respect for my friend/dealer. I will tell you that there are about 3 gunshops in Atlanta Area that have 6920s and at least one that had a 40 but I guarantee it will have been sold by the time you read this. Some people like that hand grip and flat top on that 40 model.

Here are my future mods Im going to get over the next 2 months or as available.

Some bulk packs of Milspec 5.56 - It's a colt after all.. she'll take it.
    A few magazines that I already have from the military.
    JP VTAC 9" smooth grip (use only the rails I need)
    CMMG .22 conversion bolt, but subject to a ton more research first.
    Green laser - gotta find which one I like or the guys/girls here recommend.
    Taclight - Streamlight or surefire
    Urban-ERT 1 point AR tactical Sling or something you guys recommend
    Standard everyone gets EoTECH red laser dot sight.
    Sometime in the future a regular luepold scope for deer hunting or long range shooting.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

can you shoot me a link to that smooth grip??

Senior Moderator
    Just a note about the various .22 caliber conversions out there.

Some are good and some are not so great. If you buy a conversion kit, you will only achieve mediocre accuracy from the .223 barrel because the twist is not fast enough for the shorter,slower .22 bullet.

For the best accuracy on the AR platform, you must buy a dedicated .22 AR upper. This will consist of the whole top half, complete with bolt and the proper twist barrel for the .22 Long Rifle.

Most of the dedicated uppers will out shoot the drop-in-bolt conversions kits.
    If you aren't too concerned about accuracy and 2-3 inches at 50 yards is good enough then the drop-in- bolt kits are fine just for plinking.

If you want some good accuracy, around 1/2" at 50 yards, then you need to get the whole top half.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Just a note about the various .22 caliber conversions out there.

Some are good and some are not so great. If you buy a conversion kit, you will only achieve mediocre accuracy from the .223 barrel because the twist is not fast enough for the shorter,slower .22 bullet.

For the best accuracy on the AR platform, you must buy a dedicated .22 AR upper. This will consist of the whole top half, complete with bolt and the proper twist barrel for the .22 Long Rifle.

Most of the dedicated uppers will out shoot the drop-in-bolt conversions kits.
    If you aren't too concerned about accuracy and 2-3 inches at 50 yards is good enough then the drop-in- bolt kits are fine just for plinking.

If you want some good accuracy, around 1/2" at 50 yards, then you need to get the whole top half.
    Interesting. Do the .22lr uppers also have a manual of arms identical to a normal AR? One annoying thing about conversion kits is that everything is not functional (bolt hold-open switch?).
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

How much for a new upper to shoot 22LR for a colt?

If you're going to spend the money and get a dedicated upper, in my opinion, you might as well just get a AR in .22LR caliber.

I think S&W just came out with one. I don't know who else makes one, but I'm sure that S&W isn't the first company on the block to do so.

Just the opinion of an arrogant fool that resembles the south end of a northbound mule.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    If you're going to spend the money and get a dedicated upper, in my opinion, you might as well just get a AR in .22LR caliber...
    I purchased the .22 LR conversion upper for my Glock. I like it, but one issue I was very aware of was the for the price, I was close to being able to purchase a deticated .22 LR. If I'm not mistaken, that cost ratio increases far more ($600+ to $1000?) when you deside to go with an AR-15 .22 LR conversion or deticated .22 LR on an AR platform. I have often wondered why the best option would not be to just to get a Rugger 10/22 with an AR like conversion.

I've also considered purchasing a bolt action .22 LR so I could practice the basics, without the recoil of my 30.06 hunting rifle. Just feels at some point the basics are the basics, and you can learn just as much with a deticated .22 LR semi-auto as you could the conversion kit for the AR-15.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by dbraves8 View Post
    How much does a conversion kit cost for on the AR-10. It will be my first AR just to shoot around and for the house for a nice home defense gun.
    I have an AR-10 and wouldn't consider a 308 as a home defense round. It will easily penetrate several walls including brick siding and keep on going. Mine is for hog hunting and for SD when SHTF but certainly not a home defense gun during normal times. You'd be better off with a 223 for home defense if you are looking for an AR IMHO.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

I purchased a .22 conversion bolt for my ar-15 and couldn't be happier. Yes the accuracy isn't as good, but for $200 you can't go wrong just to get the trigger time.

I have 4 AR15s I built all of them, it was cheaper to do them about 5 years ago, I believe they came out to about $400 each to put together. I also got 2 of the M261 kits and 4 mag inserts for $70. I also built 2 FALs 7.62x51, so I never considered buying an AR 10. I would say to start with the AR 15 then buy a AR 10 later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links