AR-10 or AR-15

AR-10 or AR-15

This is a discussion on AR-10 or AR-15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking into getting an AR however wondering if they make a conversion kit to shoot a 22LR or something cheap for the AR-10 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR-10 or AR-15

AR-10 or AR-15

I am looking into getting an AR however wondering if they make a conversion kit to shoot a 22LR or something cheap for the AR-10 model. I am wanting something that has more power than a 5.56. I mean basically its just a 22magnum but a little extra on it. I would rather shoot a 308 if needed.

Also do you have to get the conversion kit brand that makes the gun brand you have. Say you have a colt or bushmaster AR do you have to get that same brand conversion kit or what??

Also anyone got specs on how the 223 round performs compared to the 308. The price of 308 ammo is crazy so not sure if I want to go that route. Do they make a AR that shoots a 7.6?

Most love the 5.56 but personally I don't think much of it. It's a middle-of-the-road .22 centerfire and no high power rifle by my definition. Of course others will get on here and tell you otherwise. I hand load and like the .308 very well.

Been shooting 5.56mm for 23 years. I like it, but do prefer .308 as well.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

I Too am not a .223 caliber fan for much of anything bigger than a coyote, the four legged kind.

With that said, I use an AR at work, so I bought one to train with. Also, if you are considering a rifle for a "worst case scenario" that you may have to use in self defense, and in defense of the Constitution against all enemies foriegn and domestic, you may want to give serious thought to the 5.56 round.

It is the current round that is in use by our military and many L.E. agencies. That alone makes it easier to get ammunition and spare parts if you have to steal it. There is also a lot of documentation of that round and the AR rifle by L.E. agencies. That provides evidence that you may be able to introduce in a trial, if it's ever needed, as to why you selected that rifle/caliber.

I'm not advocating stealing ammo from your local National Guard Armory, but if it came to that scenario then the laws in place would be in question as well. I just hope like heck we never get to that point.

IMHO the .308 would make a good "second" or third rifle to have. I would select the "common" one first and have that, and then go with something "not so common" later.

I'm not aware of a .22 Conversion Kit for the .308 version, but that doesn't mean nobody makes one. Heck I just saw a .50 cal Single Shot conversion. :)

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; June 27th, 2009 at 02:41 PM. Reason: typo

Alright thanks. I figured I would go with the AR-15 first then get the AR-10 down the road. I am worried possibly that they will ban AR's and similar guns. Then again IDK

AR's are good guns, just do your homework and you will find a good one, and don't worry about spending a little more now because in the long run it will be well worth it. Good luck with your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I Too am not a .223 caliber fan for much of anything bigger than a coyote, the four legged kind.

With that said, I use an AR at work, so I bought one to train with. Also, if you are considering a rifle for a "worst case scenario" that you may have to use in self defense, and in defense of the Constitution against all enemies foriegn and domestic, you may want to give serious thought to the 5.56 round.

It is the current round that is in use by our military and many L.E. agencies. That alone makes it easier to get ammunition and spare parts if you have to steal it. There is also a lot of documentation of that round and the AR rifle by L.E. agencies. That provides evidence that you may be able to introduce in a trial, if it's ever needed, as to why you selected that rifle/caliber.

I'm not advocating stealing ammo from your local National Guard Armory, but if it came to that scenario then the laws in place would be in question as well. I just hope like heck we never get to that point.

IMHO the .308 would make a good "second" or third rifle to have. I would select the "common" one first and have that, and then go with something "not so common" later.

I'm not aware of a .22 Conversion Kit for the .308 version, but that doesn't mean nobody makes one. Heck I just saw a .50 cal Single Shot conversion. :)

Biker
    Nice post.

I Have Both,AR 15,s and an AR 10,They do not make a 22 conversion for the AR 10,but they make a 7.62x39 conversion and 22 conversion for the AR 15"s.It depends on your needs,The 308 recoils a lot more than the 223 and followup shots aren't as fast.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

How much does a conversion kit cost for on the AR-10. It will be my first AR just to shoot around and for the house for a nice home defense gun. Does it hurt the barrel to shoot 22LR or 7.62 out of the 308 gun. With the 1/7 twist and 1/9 twist does that make a difference??

Quote Originally Posted by dbraves8 View Post
    How much does a conversion kit cost for on the AR-10. It will be my first AR just to shoot around and for the house for a nice home defense gun. Does it hurt the barrel to shoot 22LR or 7.62 out of the 308 gun. With the 1/7 twist and 1/9 twist does that make a difference??
    The only calibres I know of in the AR10 is .308 and .338 federal,there is no 22 conversion for the AR10,they don;t even make a 22 calibre barrel for it.If you want to shoot 22 out of an AR you will need to get an AR15,then buy a ciener or comparable 22 conversion kit,or a complete dedivated 22 LR upper receiver.Then if you want to shoot 30 calibre you can get an 7.62x39 upper assembly and magazines designed for the 7.62x39 round in an AR15
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

So what all calibers can I shoot out of the AR-15 with conversion kit or uppers? compared to the AR-10??

I have an AR-15 because I got a Colt 6721...at an amazing deal, and its a classic every gun owner should have. But I am a big fan of the .308 round. The next semi auto rifle I buy will be a AR-10 or a Springfield M1A.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I am looking so far into the S&W M&P 15X-$1100shipped, Colt 6920-$1300 shipped, Colt 6940 I like as well for $1580 shipped all NIB

I just got a Colt 6920 and I love it. Its a good choice and thats not a bad price on it. I would say go for it.

AR15 calibrAR-15, without bolt modification
    .17 Remington
    .20 Tactical
    .204 Ruger
    .221 Fireball
    .222 Remington
    .222 Remington Magnum
    .223 Remington (5.56x45mm)
    .223 Remington Ackley Improved
    6x45mm
    6mm Whisper
    6.5mm Whisper
    7mm Whisper
    7mm TCU
    .300 Whisper (.300/221, .300 Fireball)
    .338 Whisper

AR-15, with bolt modification
    223 WSSM
    5.45x39mm (.21 Genghis)
    243 WSSM
    6mm PPC
    6mm BR Remington
    6.5mm PPC
    6.5mm Grendel
    25 WSSM
    6.8x43mm SPC
    .30 Herrett Rimless Tactical (6.8x43mm case trimmed to 41mm and necked up to .308; the 6.8mm version of the .300 Whisper)
    7.62x39mm
    .357 Auto
    .458 SOCOM
    .50 Action Express
    .50 Beowulf

AR-15 using a simple blowback operation
    .17 HMR
    .22 LR
    .22 WMR
    9x19mm
    40S&W
    10mm Auto
    45ACP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links