S&W M&P-15 Exploded

This is a discussion on S&W M&P-15 Exploded within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by AutoFan This thread has got me thinking that this sort of thing (a squib/obstruction causing a KB) must happen a lot in ...

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: S&W M&P-15 Exploded

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    This thread has got me thinking that this sort of thing (a squib/obstruction causing a KB) must happen a lot in the military, what with expending the number of rounds through the thousands of full-auto and select fire weapons that they do every year. Does any of our ex/current military members on the board have any insight on this?
    We don't shoot as much as the other services, but the Colt's seem to hold up to the abuse pretty well. I have a buddy who is part of our TacLet (Law Enforcement Detachment) and once they hit a certain round count they have the barrel inspected and even though he the barrel was supposed to be replaced at his current round count it was within spec and good to go. I'm sure it's just the chrome lining.

2. Remove Ads

This thread has got me thinking that this sort of thing (a squib/obstruction causing a KB) must happen a lot in the military, what with expending the number of rounds through the thousands of full-auto and select fire weapons that they do every year. Does any of our ex/current military members on the board have any insight on this?

there is no indication of a squib round here or a barrel obstruction causing the problem.

Hey guys,
    Yes S&W said it was the ammo. Since they worked it out internally with Remingont I don't know the exact details since i never got a copy of the report. I was told the ammo charge was so high that the casing actually welded to the barrel.

I guess the guy who helped me (the director of marketing / customer service) has seen this thread since he referred to it when i was talking to him.

Anyway, I think i'm going to order the .22 version of the M&P 15 next week, but as of now I already ordered my Colt 6940 should be here sometime next week.

To be honest I'm kinda freaked out about the whole ammo situation after what happened. It's 10 months since i first had ordered the s&W... It's been a long ordeal. I just want to go to the Range, it's good therapy for my PTSD. (LOL other then the fact i react to contact when i hear the first shots when im driving up to the range)

Lee

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    So S&W is contending that Remington double charged the case (or more) or got some pistol powder in this one cartridge? Does Remington use a powder that allows a double charge in their .223 or 5.56 ammo? I'd more likely believe a squib than anything else ammo related.

So S&W is contending that Remington double charged the case (or more) or got some pistol powder in this one cartridge? Does Remington use a powder that allows a double charge in their .223 or 5.56 ammo? I'd more likely believe a squib than anything else ammo related.
    Like I said, i didn't get a copy of the report. I was told it was bad ammo.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Links