S&W M&P-15 Exploded - Page 2

S&W M&P-15 Exploded

This is a discussion on S&W M&P-15 Exploded within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by lee275 Barrel says NATO 5.56 Doesn't mean a thing. Barrels marked 5.56 NATO have to get reamed all the time. -B...

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W M&P-15 Exploded

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by lee275 View Post
    Barrel says NATO 5.56
    Doesn't mean a thing. Barrels marked 5.56 NATO have to get reamed all the time.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    I do not own an AR but my friend did FRY and I mean FRY his Keltec 9mm using some ultra hot +p+ ammo one day. I told him not to use he said "whatever man" the gun said "BOOM". He was okay.

Make sure you have a 5.56mm capable weapon and I would find this out before hand and I would absolutely NOT ADMIT you used 5.56 in that rifle if it is made for 223.

Yeah I have looked at a massive insane amount of gun dealers in Atlanta over the last week.

I am completely getting a Colt LE 6920 this Monday. If a colt blows up using 5.56 mm I know for a fact they will not be able to hold it against me if I used std military issue 5.56 x 45.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    WOW...crazy. Especially if your barrel is stamped 5.56; that was my first thought was that it was a .223 barrel and 5.56 ammo. I would ask S+W about their barrel and whether or not it can truly handle the ammo it says it can.

And as has been suggested, let them know that there are a lot of shooters on these threads interested in the answers they give. :D
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    were you firing 5.56 ammo in a 223 chamber,there are several warnings about firing the hotter pressure 5.56 military rounds in a 223 chamber.Just something that came to mind
    That's what I was thinking

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    QK is correct... get clear, crisp photos from every angle... shoot dozens... get out in direct sun. Digicam pictures are cheeeeep, and could save your bacon here....
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Doing a little bit of looking around on S&W's website, some of the M&P rifles day just 5.56 under technical specs, and some 5.56/.223. The barrel says 5.56, so that leads me to believe that the upper would be for 5.56, but I've been known to be wrong before, and honestly don't really know as much about these rifles as some other AR variants.

What does the rollmark on your lower receiver say as far as caliber?

That is the kind of damage I would expect from ammo with too much pressure. Or possibly after a squib round with the bullet stuck in the barrel (which you say you checked for). You probably won't be able to get the rifle apart at all, because the bolt is probably partially in the buffer tube's area, since it isn't seated all the way forward.

I would contact both S&W and Remington, and see what they can do to make you a satisfied customer.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    This is not a usual occurrence. Since you just bought the rifile I think I would take it back to the dealer. If he tells you to send it to the manufacturer. Please send me the name of the dealer where you bought it. I have an open account with S&W and might be able to help you if your dealer is not willing.

Even If the military ammo is +P this weapon is rated, I believe most M&P 15 models are rated for the additional pressure provided that you were using the right cal. of ammo in the first place. S&W will stand behind this.There must have been burrs or a manufacturing defect. I think I would ask for them to make some arrangement with you to avoid possible legal necessity.Maybe an upgrade or a free pistol so that you don't have to hire an attorney. Not a threat, just business. Get what you can.

Lucky you did not blow you hand off. This is not good S&W needs to know about this. Save your pictures.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Def follow through and take lots of pictures....Smith should definitely take care of you on this.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

If I were you, I would make absolutely sure your ammunition was factory-produced ammo; I know friends who had this happen with handguns and were denied because they used ammo they bought at a gun show, or reloaded. If you have the original box the ammo came in so lots or production runs can be traced, that helps a lot. A receipt from a dealer helps even more.

Either way, I hope it all works out for you and glad you are not hurt. Handguns going Kaboom are bad enough, but rifles are especially dangerous due to the pressures involved, and the fact that usually your face is much closer to the action.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Administrator

Taken Directly From The S&W WebSite

The entire M&P Series are designated either Caliber: 5.56 mm NATO / .223 or just 5.56 mm NATO

SKU: 811000
    Model: M&P15
    Caliber: 5.56 mm NATO / .223
    Action: Gas Operated Semi Automatic
    Capacity: 30 Rounds, 5.56 mm or .223
    Overall Length: 35" Extended / 32" Compacted
    Stock: 6-Position Telescopic
    Forend: Thermo-Set M4 Handguard
    Sight Length: 14.75"
    Barrel Length: 16"
    Barrel Twist: 1 in 9"
    Weight (No Mag): 6.74 lbs.
    Trigger Pull: 7 lbs. (approx.)
    Upper/Lower Material: 7075 T6 Aluminum
    Barrel Material: 4140 Steel
    Chromed Components: Barrel Bore, Gas Key, Bolt Carrier
    Receiver and Barrel Finish: Hard Coat Black Anodized
    Front Sight: Adjustable Post
    Rear Sight: Adjustable Dual Aperature

BAC
    As has already been said, the vast majority of 1:9 twist barrels are not chambered for 5.56 NATO, which is why they get reamed with 5.56 NATO reamers regularly. I know Rock River Arms uses a Wylde chamber that is supposed to be a compromise between .223 and 5.56 chambers and allow the firearm to chamber and fire both safely, but I don't know the details of the Wylde chamber or who all has them on their firearms.

What the manufacturer stamps on the barrel (or receiver) and what they say on their website don't mean a thing.

-B

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    What the manufacturer stamps on the barrel (or receiver) and what they say on their website don't mean a thing.

-B
    I have to say that I don't know a darn thing about AR-15s or rifle ammo for that matter. Will learn when I can get one for myself. But if I saw specs from a gun manufacturor that explicitly stated "Caliber: 5.56 mm NATO / .223" That would have some serious problems if the weapon couldn't really handle 5.56 NATO. Especially if they refused to fix my problem because of this. Suppose they'd be getting a call from my lawyer soon after.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

BAC
    To date, I don't believe any case has found manufacturers are required to make the chambers match the markings. Consider the number of AR lower receivers marked "multi", and the several uppers that utilize normal AR lower receivers. How does one cut a chamber to be in multiple calibers, or to accept the various 6-6.8 mm offerings designed to use lowers normally marked .223 Rem or 5.56 NATO? It is very well documented that a number of big players in the AR-making game don't make their chambers in the caliber listed on their barrels and receivers. Bushmaster, DPMS, Olympic Arms, and a variety of others regularly see metal removed when 5.56 NATO reamers are used (which should, if the rifles were 5.56 NATO, take no metal at all).

Point of interest, does anyone know if RRA marks their rifles .223, 5.56, or Wylde? Does anyone know if Noveske marks their N4 stainless rifles 5.56 or Match Mod 0?

-B

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    What the manufacturer stamps on the barrel (or receiver) and what they say on their website don't mean a thing.-B

Does colt stand behind what they say? Just making sure cause im gonna get a 6920 tomorrow afternoon.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

tag

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links