S&W M&P-15 Exploded - Page 5

S&W M&P-15 Exploded

This is a discussion on S&W M&P-15 Exploded within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Beware of recently made LC 5.56mm ammo that is being sold on the civilian market. In over 40 years I never found a significant difference ...

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Beware of recently made LC 5.56mm ammo that is being sold on the civilian market. In over 40 years I never found a significant difference in cartridge case dimensions between .223 ammo and military 5.56mm ammo.

Yesterday I measured some recently acquired ammo sold by Federal as XM 193. I was told by a distributor that this stuff is military reject. Every case that I measured had a long neck. Those case necks were .004-.037 longer than military spec. Those case necks are also longer than the necks of 5.56mm ammo made during the 60s and 70s.

A case neck that is .004 longer than spec would most likely not be a big deal. A cartridge with a case neck that is .037 longer than spec could could see the case mouth jammed hard into the throat. In this event, a serious spike in pressure could result.

I sure hope SW resolves this matter sooner than they did with Puncho. I was really disappointed as to how they handled him. One forum member jumped all over me on the other related M&P 15T failure thread because i said "That is BS that S&W did not step to the plate on this one." Maybe he will get the picture now.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    SW has a life time warranty on the MP15's...
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Quote Originally Posted by CE680 View Post
    I sure hope SW resolves this matter sooner than they did with Puncho. I was really disappointed as to how they handled him. One forum member jumped all over me on the other related M&P 15T failure thread because i said "That is BS that S&W did not step to the plate on this one." Maybe he will get the picture now.
    I hope they are quick about it too.
    But honestly, when i finally got a hold of someone on Monday, before i told him the damage he was already blaming the ammo. I said "are you going to let me tell you what broke before you blame the ammo?"

I'm going to send a little note along with the rifle letting them know i am a Veteran who saved his money to buy one of there fine rifles only to have it explode after firing the 27th round. Hopefully playing the V card will get me a decent response.

Oh, Took more pics of the rifle.. posted to my FLIKR
    Flickr: bourne275's Photostream

D

Quote Originally Posted by lee275 View Post
    I hope they are quick about it too.
    But honestly, when i finally got a hold of someone on Monday, before i told him the damage he was already blaming the ammo. I said "are you going to let me tell you what broke before you blame the ammo?"
    Did you get the name of the person you spoke with?

Just an update. Rifle shipped last Tuesday. Waiting for results.

Hopefully everything works out. It is nice to be able to put in the Veteran of a Foreign War. I haven't had the need yet.

Quote Originally Posted by cuban11182 View Post
    Hopefully everything works out. It is nice to be able to put in the Veteran of a Foreign War. I haven't had the need yet.
    Yeah i hate playing the Vet card but i figure i paid $1100 and waited for 6 months to get the rifle, why not.

I saw an M16 A1 do that in 1979,but it had a light load that lodged a round in the barrel on the rifle range,range instructor ejected the spent case without checking for an obstruction and chambered another round,then he told the guy go ahead and kaboom,the guy got away with a few powder burns,but the whole upper was trashed with the BCG literally bowed out splitting the upper receiver
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

lee, any word from S&W yet? I wish I had found this thread b4 I purchased a M&P15 OR....

Puncho, hope you read this. Did they ever tell you the cause of the explosion?

Quote Originally Posted by Sig226GuyNJ View Post
    Puncho, hope you read this. Did they ever tell you the cause of the explosion?
    The vice president of S&W marketing personally called me after 4 months of being jerked around. He was adamant that the failure of my weapon was ammo related.

The incident round was lost by S&W; they say they shipped it to Remington, but the guy they shipped it to at Remington had retired. No one at Remington knows where the incident round is. Within a day of my conversation with the S&W VP a new weapon was in my possession.

That smells like BS to me. Its kind of convenient that the incident round was lost. I sent you a pm, or thought I did, but its not in my "sent" folder so I'll ask you here.

1. Which model was it?
    2. Did they give you the same model?
    3. Have you fired your new gun? If so, how many rounds?
    4. Did they give you any assurance it won't happen again? (I doubt it)
    5. Sounds like their customer service is horrible. Would you recommend this gun to others?

I just bought a M&P15OR. Wish I had found this thread b4 I did!!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sig226GuyNJ View Post
    That smells like BS to me. Its kind of convenient that the incident round was lost. I sent you a pm, or thought I did, but its not in my "sent" folder so I'll ask you here.

1. Which model was it?
    5. Sounds like their customer service is horrible. Would you recommend this gun to others?

I just bought a M&P15OR. Wish I had found this thread b4 I did!!

Thanks!
    1. Which model was it?
    S&W AR 15T

Yes

No, I have not fired the new gun.

According to them it was an ammo issue.

I work with insurance companies for a living dealing with customer service issues; I've never experienced worse customer service. I still think the weapon fired without being in full battery, which shouldn't have occurred. I still don't think my situation was related to the ammo. I would buy or recommend the weapon again

Will you be wearing depends to the range when you shoot your replacement gun?
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Will you be wearing depends to the range when you shoot your replacement gun?
    I plan on having my brother test fire the weapon. My dad always had him hold onto the spark plug and wire when he was trouble shooting why our mower wouldn't start. He's cut out for testing...

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links