Colt 6920 VS. S&W M&P 15X

This is a discussion on Colt 6920 VS. S&W M&P 15X within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Which gun would you go with best overall gun. I plan to pick up the 22LR conversion will the 1/7 twist or 1/9 twist be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt 6920 VS. S&W M&P 15X

Colt 6920 VS. S&W M&P 15X

Which gun would you go with best overall gun. I plan to pick up the 22LR conversion will the 1/7 twist or 1/9 twist be better. I hear the 1/9 twist will be better for the 22LR but the 1/7 is best for 5.56. I dont want to mess the gun up or the barrel shooting 22LR out of it.

Price difference is 200 bucks. The colt for 1300 shipped, the S&W 1100 shipped. Both brand new with warranty.

I am looking into a ar-10 308 as well. Help me choose.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Read the thread I started. Great information. Will probably help you make your decision.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...2-colt-no.html
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

The S&W is certainly a great AR, but if I had the extra bucks I would get the Colt 6920. I have one and I absolutely love it. The 1-7 twist will accommodate heavier bullets. The best way to go 22lr with a AR is to get a dedicated 22lr upper.
    Longbow
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

How much does a 22LR upper cost??

Im guessing atleast 500
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

I wonder if they make a 22 mag so you can varmiting with it?

I am looking so far into the S&W M&P 15X-$1100shipped, Colt 6920-$1300 shipped, Colt 6940 I like as well for $1580 shipped all NIB

far as the 22LR upper for 500 I can get the whole colt gun that shoots 22LR for 600 bucks

I learned a long time ago to get exactly what YOU want. If you settle for something to save a few bucks, you'll always look at what you really wanted every time you see one and feel like you cheated yourself.
    NRA Member
    I carry a .45 because they don't make a .46
    www.ShootersEar.com

I like the S&W M&P 15X forend heatshield more than the colt 6920, however I like the heatshield more on the 6940 than the 6920 but not sure if i like it better than the M&P, How much does it cost to change the heatshields and can anyone send links for that?

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Are you talking about handguards? The 6940 is a monolithic upper (the rail extends as one piece all the way from the receiver to the front sight) and the barrel is free floated. The railed handguards on the 15X are non-free floated and the 6920 just has regular plastic/polymer handguards. Regardless of looks, the rail systems (on the 15X and 6940) are there to mount additional accessories on - so the question is - if you get them, what are you intending to use them for... If you don't know, you probably don't need them.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

ok, thanks so is it worth the money.

Also whats the difference in the free float and non free float. Can I get a carrying handle for the M&P and the 6940. I like the flip up sights

Also is it possible to use the 6940 open sights and get a scop that sits up off the gun to use open sights still?

Free float means the handguards do not touch/attach to the barrel which gives the system greater accuracy potential.

You really don't need the carry handle if you have the flip up sights - no one really uses the handle as a handle, they just use the sight built into it... that said you could pull the folding sights off and put a carry handle on, but then you're limiting your optic possibilities.

Generally the folding sights are referred to as BUIS (back up iron sights) and are intended to be used with an optic. You leave the folding sights on with your scope and if the scope fails while you're using the rifle you dump your scope (via it's quick disconnect mount), flip your sights up and get back in the fight... (Remember this was designed as a combat weapon system)...

Most AR mounts for red dot optics hold the scope up enough that you can look through the tube with your sights up and use either/or - so that you don't have to remove the optic if it fails, you just look through it... most higher powered scopes are too long and cover up the rear sight usually...

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

alright sounds good, I just want to throw a red dot scope on it that magnifys a little but still use the iron sights.

out of the 3 mentioned which is a free float and which is the better overall weapon?

I personally would take the Colts over the S&W - though the S&W is a pretty good piece of kit... The 6920 and 6940 are identical quality wise and mostly feature wise - the big difference is the monolithic upper with the free float rail system on the 6940. That said you could (if you wanted a different rail system and different flip up sights) buy the 6920 and then have a different rail system installed...

How much would it cost to have the rail system for the colt 6920, I like the heat shiled on the colt 6940 how much would it cost to change that onto the 6920. I am also wondering what are the T marks mean??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links