Is my benelli nova a keeper or should I look for something else

This is a discussion on Is my benelli nova a keeper or should I look for something else within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I own a Benelli Nova Pump 12 guage, kinda consider it my turkey gun. It is really bulky but that rotary bolt is freaking sweet ...

Thread: Is my benelli nova a keeper or should I look for something else

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar

Is my benelli nova a keeper or should I look for something else

I own a Benelli Nova Pump 12 guage, kinda consider it my turkey gun. It is really bulky but that rotary bolt is freaking sweet imo.

I am looking for a 20guage autoloader to replace it if it is worth it. I want a lighter gun that is just as capable now that ammo technology provides much hotter and faster 20guage loads these days.

Any thoughts? Trade/sell or keeper?
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    I like the Nova because it's good for up to 3.5" mag. loads, it's nice to have a 12 that can handle any shell.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Yeah so true. I do like that fact. Okay ill keep it. Plus it is another in my collection.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

I'd keep the Benelli. I've got a Benelli Nova H2O, a Super Black Eagle and a M1-S90 Tactical and have never had a drop of trouble out of any of them. I feel confident enough in Benelli shotguns that I bought my Grandson a Benelli Nova for Christmas last year. I think the Benelli that you already have will serve you just as well as anything else and probably better. If there's any drawback to the Nova, it's that there aren't all of the aftermarket tacti-cool goodies for them that are available for a 870 or a Mossy.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I think the Benellis are an awesome built shotgun...a little over pirced in someways, but very awesome.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Are 20 gauge shells materially more effective than they were in the past and if so wouldn't the same technology have been applied to the 12 gauge loads currently manufactured, making them more effective as well? Don't know that technology has closed the gap between the two chamberings.

I'd stick with the 12 gauge.

Senior Moderator
    A 20 guage and a 12 gauge throw shot or slugs at the same speed.

The main difference is the load.

The 12 just has more of it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    ...If there's any drawback to the Nova, it's that there aren't all of the aftermarket tacti-cool goodies for them that are available for a 870 or a Mossy...
    I think that is less true, now, than it used to be, Hoss. The glaring gap for the Nova, I think, is the one-piece stock, and the lack of options for replacement stock components. However, there are a variety of factory and aftermarket solutions for:
    - magazine extensions
    - sidesaddes
    - sight systems, scopes and night sights
    - tactical slings and sling mounts
    - rails
    - barrel clamp accessory mounts
    - lights and lasers
    - recoil suppression

With the Supernova having a modular design, I expect we will see aftermarket stock components start to be available for the Supernova, in addition to an increasing range of the other stuff. Indeed, we are already seeing aftermarket components specifically targeting Supernova Tactical owners.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I have the Benelli Super Nova with the pistol grip and ghost ring sights. I haven't shot it yet, but have shot one just like it in the past. I can shoot it way better than my 870 and thanks to the factory ghost ring sights, shooting slugs accurately is easy. I doubt I will ever shoot 3.5" shells through my Benelli Super Nova, but its kind of nice having that option. The thing I like most about it is resistance to moisture. The polymer coated steel receiver and the chrome lined bore makes maintenance very easy, and field stripping is simple.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I have the Nova Tactical in 12ga. I'll add a longer mag tube and a side saddle soon enough. The only thing I can't seem to find is a stock, but the design pretty much precludes it.

Maybe an ammo sling too... Lots and lots of beautiful ammo..........

Anyway, my Benelli shoots good, but hurts like nobody's business with magnum loads. About 6 or 8 of those, and I'm looking for the 2 3/4 stuff...

Big mags in a light shotty are no fun after the first couple...
    Last edited by FHBrumb; July 6th, 2009 at 09:14 PM. Reason: So I can't spell, what's it to ya?
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

Quote Originally Posted by FHBrumb View Post
    ...Anyway, my Benelli shoots good, but hurts like nobody's business with magnum loads. About 6 or 8 of those, and I'm looking for the 2 3/4 stuff...

Big mags in a light shotty are no fun after the first couple...
    Consider the mercury recoil reducer that goes in the Nova stock. I put one in mine, before I had to sell it, and it made a noticeable difference.

You can still find factory +2 mag extensions out there, and they will give you 7+1. At about $65, they aren't as expensive as some of the aftermarket extensions that give you 6+1.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom357 View Post
    Consider the mercury recoil reducer that goes in the Nova stock. I put one in mine, before I had to sell it, and it made a noticeable difference.

You can still find factory +2 mag extensions out there, and they will give you 7+1. At about $65, they aren't as expensive as some of the aftermarket extensions that give you 6+1.
    I'll look intro tha recoil do-hickey. But more likely, I'll just shoot 2 3/4 shells most of the time.

I recently found that the +2 extensions are at two local stores for $50 either place. Maybe I'll snag one of those there, as that price seems pretty good now...

You gotta go to Benelli for the mercury thing?
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

Administrator
    I've never cared for the Nova. It's just not what I've come to expect out of a Benelli.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links