Good upgrades for an AR 15?

Good upgrades for an AR 15?

This is a discussion on Good upgrades for an AR 15? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Gun: Vanilla non modded LE 6920 by Colt. Immediately desired mods: Green Laser - Would like a pressure switch on my accessory rail once I ...

Thread: Good upgrades for an AR 15?

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar

Question Good upgrades for an AR 15?

Gun: Vanilla non modded LE 6920 by Colt.

Immediately desired mods:

Green Laser - Would like a pressure switch on my accessory rail once I get a JP VTAC 9" or on the pistol grip if this is advised. One with an on off switch is preferable also.

TacLight - Need durable, prefer ultra bright LED, once again a pressure switch that can be adjacent to the laser switch. Placement of my hand turns it on. Used to have one in the Military but cant remember what brand we used now been a few years. I think surefire not sure anymore.

Optics - Close range thinking EoTech (dont need special reticles really just need a cross or dot or combo). Do not need NVG compatible.

Optics Long Range - Does anyone own or have shot with the EoTech Red Dot scope that you place in front of the normal eotech red dot?

.22 long rifle conversion kit. I wish to not purchase a separate gun. I want to train with the trigger, the magazines, the barrel, the exact modified rifle. Train like you fight and you will fight like you train. Is this an unrealistic expectation of a product? I heard CMMG makes onem but does that 5.56 cartridge piece stand a chance to nick the inside of your breech or cause other undesirable damage?

And lastly - I would like a good one point patrol sling. I will train using skills acquired in my service. I will constantly practice tactical shooting. You never want to let these skills rust. Especially in the state we are in now.

Any other recommended mods are appreciated.

Bias, attitudes about, good points bad points, bring it on!

Treat this thread as a general information for anyone. I have titled the subject so that it would use common search keywords also.

"I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    1) Red dot.
    2) If you want ranged shots too, get a flip-up magnifier that goes behind the red dot: Samson Mfg: AR-15, AK-47, Sig 556 Rails and Accessories: Quick Flip™ Modular Aimpoint 3X Magnifier Mount with ARMS Base. I have this, a 3xmag and a compm4 (I would probably go with a cheaper red dot if I bought again). It's a great system, but see #5.
    3) Sling.
    4) Light (possibly removable for day use)

5) Don't get accessories you won't use. This is probably the most important point; accessories add weight. If you are going to ever use your AR in a 'WROL'/'carry'/whatever you call it/hunting scenario, weight will be a huge issue. Plus, skipping stuff will also lower your costs

Oh, and I love the idea of a conversion kit for training. That's something that is definitely on my list now, but I don't get out to the rifle range much (I mostly go to the 25yd indoor range).
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Not many Green dot lasers out there you choices will be limited.
    Optics I think Aimpoint has the best selection for the buck.
    Light I really like the Surefire Scout Light.,,or their vertical grip light combos.
    The magnifier for the eotech is a 3x fixed if i rmbr correctly Aimppoin makes one too.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Moderator
    Eotech and Aimpoint both make 3X magnifiers.

Have a look at Larue Tactical's quick release Eotech mounts and mangnifier swing-out mounts. Optic and Mount Combos:EOTech

Larue's stuff is top quality.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

It may be a very simple add on, but it's one that I feel made my AR feel 100 times better. Check into the Hogue grip for your rifle! It is much better than the simple plastic grip that is standard on most AR-15s.

More practice ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I've shot over 75,000 rounds in the Military. It still doesn't feel like that much.

Yup our tax dollars at work. It was nice when ammo came on the back of an mtvr by the pallet. Our response to the arrival of the truck: "Load up boys! Take all you want but shoot all you take"!
    Last edited by tangoseal; June 30th, 2009 at 03:09 AM.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I'll have to agree with that. Best upgrade you could make right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I'll have to agree with that. Best upgrade you could make right now.
    Yeah but I have the cash for both so ....

well I want to atleast get rid of the iron sights and get something real. First thing I did with my issue carbine was remove the carry handle and put an ACOG. Goverment owned... I didnt get to keep it. It was fully auto sigh ... But this is my first civilian AR, I want to do it right the first time and not have to worry about pawn shopping a junk scope later.

I have a Simmons 4-12x40 BDC scope I mount on mine with the carry handle removed, and it works rather well even with my solid front sight post. Got a BUIS rear just in case. A quad rail fore end so I can attach a flashlight/laser or forward grip, and a stud so I can use a bipod or sling. I don't know much about doing things right, but then again...I'm not attached to the SWAT team either.

Can you post a photo of your setup Ram?

Well, I can get you a pic I took about a year ago or so. Have no pic with the scope mounted on it...yet. The red dot on the carry handle works pretty well for me actually.

Looks great. I was gonna ask about that.

Sponsored Links