Home SD: 33 rd 9mm vs. 30 rd .223 (5.56x45mm)

This is a discussion on Home SD: 33 rd 9mm vs. 30 rd .223 (5.56x45mm) within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm guilty of a little bias. In the whole shotgun vs pistol for home SD debate I'm guilty of thinking the AR-15 / AK-47 (etc.) ...

Thread: Home SD: 33 rd 9mm vs. 30 rd .223 (5.56x45mm)

Home SD: 33 rd 9mm vs. 30 rd .223 (5.56x45mm)

I'm guilty of a little bias. In the whole shotgun vs pistol for home SD debate I'm guilty of thinking the AR-15 / AK-47 (etc.) caveat is pointless, unless you add in you are in a more rural setting.

While I can see the pros and cons of the pistol vs the shotgun, I just think the high-capacity semi-auto rifle (if you want call it assault-rifle) offers the perks of the pistol with the disadvantages of the shotgun.

So for those of you who think the AR-15 or AK-47 is the perfect home SD firearm in urban / suburban setting vs the shotgun or pistol, riddle me this:

What is the big advantage of the AR-15 or AK-47 over a semi-auto pistol with a 29 + mag, in a urban / suburban setting?
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

2. Remove Ads

I agree on the AR, but not the shottie.
    I sold my AR and put the $$ into more ammo for my 30-30, and a Henry Rifle with a Luepold scope in .22 mag.

My two rifles will take of the perimeter or hunting needs.

On the HD front, I do always have my .45 on my side or within reach, but I also have my 12 ga. coach gun in reach, too!
    Depending upon the situation...a knock at the door :vs: a foreseen 'group' trying to enter the home...I'll decide upon the .45 or 12 ga. 00 buck for a welcoming committee.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't see any right or wrong answers here.
    Either tool will do the job.
    Whichever tool you choose, practice its use, train hard and train often.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    What is the big advantage of the AR-15 or AK-47 over a semi-auto pistol with a 29 + mag, in a urban / suburban setting?
    Pistol bullets suck. They have nowhere near the terminal effect of a good rifle round. The only ammunition I would ever use for self defense in a pistol caliber is a good hollowpoint. That means they'll go through most walls like butter. Rifle rounds, on the other hand, have a lot more punch, so I am willing to make compromises on bullet construction. A frangible rifle round, particularly in a small caliber like .223, is going to pose much less danger of overpenetration than a hollowpoint out of a pistol.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post

Well, the AR-15 is less likely to have lethal collateral damage. The AK-47 not so much, but I've never seen anyone take 7.62x39 soft points to wall material to see what happens. An AK-74 would probably behave much like an AR-15 in .223 Remington or 5.56 NATO would. Thirty rounds might not be all that useful; I use 20-round mags since good personal defense ammo comes in 20-round boxes. Having magazines 10+ rounds, however, is probably a good idea: reloading with a new mag is usually an easy/quick process (more likely if a mag actually fails than if you run the weapon to empty), and you don't know how many people you'll need to shoot at, and how many times you'll need to shoot at them.

I'd take rifle rounds over pistol every day of the week, and twice on Sundays, for personal and home defense if the option is available. Handgun calibers are not reliable man-stoppers. Rifle calibers usually are.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Well, the AR-15 is less likely to have lethal collateral damage. The AK-47 not so much, but I've never seen anyone take 7.62x39 soft points to wall material to see what happens. An AK-74 would probably behave much like an AR-15 in .223 Remington or 5.56 NATO would.
    There are some new ammo options these days that make the AK more appealing for home defense. Cor-Bon is loading frangible bullets from Barnes in 7.62x39mm as part of their MPG line. Hornady is going to be loading their V-MAX varmint bullets in both 7.62x39mm and 5.45x39mm.

Thirty rounds might not be all that useful; I use 20-round mags since good personal defense ammo comes in 20-round boxes.
    I have a 20 rounder in my home defense rifle at the moment because that's what fits in the gun cabinet where I keep it.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    There are some new ammo options these days that make the AK more appealing for home defense. Cor-Bon is loading frangible bullets from Barnes in 7.62x39mm as part of their MPG line. Hornady is going to be loading their V-MAX varmint bullets in both 7.62x39mm and 5.45x39mm.
    Ooooh reeeeally? Good to hear. I like options.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Ooooh reeeeally? Good to hear. I like options.
    Yep. It's nice to see domestic ammunition manufacturers paying some attention to the ComBloc calibers.

Links