assault rifle vs battle rifle - Page 3

assault rifle vs battle rifle

This is a discussion on assault rifle vs battle rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by QKShooter Well, there are "AKs" that are the best of all worlds with regard to extreme functional reliability, accuracy, & range. These ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: assault rifle vs battle rifle

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Well, there are "AKs" that are the best of all worlds with regard to extreme functional reliability, accuracy, & range.
    These days it takes a pretty heavy cash outlay to own one though.

Well that's a Galil .223 right?

Now an AK-47 7.62 by 39 can hit a target at that range... So long as you have the right instinct... I found that if you raise the sight 3 notches and adjust for windage and with a 5 round mag, I hit 4 rounds on the target.. Scattered but a 4 by 3 is still a small target at that 190 yards... I paid $400 for mine... Seems to work fine...

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Nice mods on that rifle QK.
    Yeah I've always wanted a Galil (kickass gun) But I actually like the 5.45 by 39 round better than the .223... My AK-74 is accurate as all get out... I tend to be targeting alongside an ar-15, and with the rounds being cheap as hell I LOVE IT!!!

The way I see it, a Winchester 94 lever gun is a battle rifle. Any rifle to me that you can carry into a fight is a battle rifle. Realistic combat range for me is 200 yards. Further out than that and any military unit is going to call out a sniper.

Besides, "assault rifle" is a term marketers and media types came up with to draw attention.....

So my take is within 200 yards I don't which caliber you use, they will work. If I have a choice, I will gladly use my AR in .223; Then again I would also use a .308 too in a heartbeat. I have top ends for both calibers, so its 6 of one or a half dozen of the other....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Personally I would probably take my AK-74 for anything that requires more than 150 yards. AK-47 for shorter range (125-150 yards max..) Due to the fact that aiming beyond that point becomes doable but more of a hassle with an AK-47...

But the way I figure it is a rifle is a rifle I'd rather be stuck with a cheap one that's reliable than be completely unarmed...

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Even allowing for the possibility that there was a legitimate definition of the term "assault rifle" prior to the Brady Bunch, I personally avoid that term because of its over-wrought anti-gun political connotations. The phrase is used to make guns sound scary.

If you want to call your "asault rifles" Sturmgewehre go ahead, but keep in mind that the people who came up with the name Sturmgewehr also named their rockets Vergeltungswaffen---"Vengeance" or "Retribution" Weapons (that would be the "V" in "V-1" and "V-2"). That is, Sturmgewehr itself was politically chosen as a scary name to incite fear in their enemies.

I'll stick with battle rifle, thanks. I agree with J.D. that these tools are best described by their intended roles or features.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Administrator
    Above Galil - 7.62mm X 51mm (.308)

It can "reach out and touch someone"

Sorry my bad... I'm used to the .223...

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Even allowing for the possibility that there was a legitimate definition of the term "assault rifle" prior to the Brady Bunch, I personally avoid that term because of its over-wrought anti-gun political connotations. The phrase is used to make guns sound scary.

If you want to call your "asault rifles" Sturmgewehre go ahead, but keep in mind that the people who came up with the name Sturmgewehr also named their rockets Vergeltungswaffen---"Vengeance" or "Retribution" Weapons (that would be the "V" in "V-1" and "V-2"). That is, Sturmgewehr itself was politically chosen as a scary name to incite fear in their enemies.

I'll stick with battle rifle, thanks. I agree with J.D. that these tools are best described by their intended roles or features.

I like your pic XD Invader Zim!!!

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Well, there are "AKs" that are the best of all worlds with regard to extreme functional reliability, accuracy, & range.
    These days it takes a pretty heavy cash outlay to own one though.
    Yes, they're made in Finland by Valmet, and they use $2 a round Lapua ammunition.

Nothing wrong with the Galil by any stretch of the imagination though. I'd give my left to have one in my collection if the SHTF. They're reliable, accurate enough, and since the majority are 5.56/.223 and .308/7.62, ammo is fairly easy to locate here in the States.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Can I just interject into this a quick thought?

We are trying to battle anti gun legislation, by anti gun opponents who say we do not need "assault" rifles. And I believe they are 100% correct..... we, as responsable gun owners, and citizens do not need "assault" weaponry of any type!

However, I refuse to give up my "anti-assault" AR-15 style weapons, My "anti-assault" shotguns, or my "anti-assault" handguns! Because that is what they are for..... I'm NOT going to assault anyone, but I WILL use them to DEFEND myself..... there by making them "Anti" assault weapons......

What do you think the and the news and the anti gunners would say if we started calling them "anti-assault" weapons??
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

Quote Originally Posted by ibesarcasm View Post
    Can I just interject into this a quick thought?

We are trying to battle anti gun legislation, by anti gun opponents who say we do not need "assault" rifles. And I believe they are 100% correct..... we, as responsable gun owners, and citizens do not need "assault" weaponry of any type!

However, I refuse to give up my "anti-assault" AR-15 style weapons, My "anti-assault" shotguns, or my "anti-assault" handguns! Because that is what they are for..... I'm NOT going to assault anyone, but I WILL use them to DEFEND myself..... there by making them "Anti" assault weapons......

What do you think the and the news and the anti gunners would say if we started calling them "anti-assault" weapons??
    I think most of us completely agree, I would never be the first to draw a gun... However defense wise I would never want to be without one... Cops often say to the CCW "one less victim". Yet people are trying to ban it? Unedjucated blabber...

The UK has one of the highest violent crime rates, and guess what. Guns are illegal there not even cops can carry without getting proper temporary authority... Look at other country's with no gun ownership and the pattern repeats itself... People know that there are no guns so they don't have to worry about a homeowner with a shotgun so there's alot less consequence in their mind...

hence why I said I'll never give up my ANTI-assualt weapons.........
    Then can have my assault weapons........
    you know...my tank, my stinger missiles, my ICBM's, my long-range first strike Nuclear submarine......... Hell, I'll put them up on E-bay right now!! LMAO!!!
    My guns....... never.........
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

VIP Member
    I like the defensive anti-assault weapon moniker of ibesarcasm. The "progressives" call illegal immigrants "undocumented workers" and so are their drug dealers "unlicensed pharmacists?" A defense lawyer told me that the DA has to work with facts, but he can work with emotion. Maybe it's time we work with emotion against the anti-gunners. Thank you, but I'll keep my lifesaving handguns and my mob defending anti-assault rifles. My battle rifle? No that's my hunting rifle. My sniper rifle? No that's just for long range target shooting.

Full auto is the quickest way to turn money into noise. - Clint Smith
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

JD
    Administrator
    Closed for review.

Lead Moderator
    Keep the comments on topic and remember the rules. If you cannot follow the rules points will be awarded and/or you will be shown the door.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links