assault rifle vs battle rifle

This is a discussion on assault rifle vs battle rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If I were to say a 5.56x45 (.223) is an assault rifle caliber and 7.62x51 (.308) is a battle rifle caliber, would that make any ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: assault rifle vs battle rifle

If I were to say a 5.56x45 (.223) is an assault rifle caliber and 7.62x51 (.308) is a battle rifle caliber, would that make any sense?
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Almost in my opinion. I would replace the words caliber with cartridge though. Where would you categorize a 7.62x39? Your terms 'assault' and 'battle' would relate to short range vs. long range?
    By the way.....do you ever sleep? LOL!

( I just went to WM and bought ammo at 3am!) Got up at 11:30pm and couldn't go back to sleep. Off to work in a few minutes)

Yes, that would make complete sense to me. In my mind some assault rifles are: M-16 and variants, G36, AK-74, LA85, FAMAS, ect... And battles rifles would be the FAL, G3, M-14, ect... But maybe that is just in my head.

In my mind its not just caliber though, the weapon has to be able to accurately engage human sized targets at 500 yards, which is why the AK-47 and SKS, while having a round that is above .30 cal in diameter, don't fall into the battle rifle class.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    ...By the way.....do you ever sleep? LOL!...
    Lately no. I'm suffering from insomnia related unemployment. I was getting down trying to keep a 8 to 5 mindset. Changed things up a bit, and has helped me stay focused, as I think a 3 to 4 hour a day job search is all I can take.

I went to a two times a day four hour sleep periods. Has worked, but after the 4th, I need to just go back to a more normal pattern, as I'm starting to only get 4 hours a day, then 2 - 4 hours of toss and turn. Hard to go back though, because the one nice result has been renewed focus on searching.
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    ...I would replace the words caliber with cartridge though...
    I see. Caliber is more to do with the round size and is more of hand gun term? Cartridge more often used in rifle conversations?
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    I see. Caliber is more to do with the round size and is more of hand gun term? Cartridge more often used in rifle conversations?
    Not quite- "caliber" is round size; "cartridge" simply refers to any loaded round of ammunition.

Currently, "assault rifle" means something operating within (roughly) 100-400 yards, and a "battle rifle" would reach from 100 to 800 (possibly a full 1000, depending on who you converse with.)

Assault rifle- think urban warfare.
    Battle rifle- think extended range.

Post-Vietnam, there is little meaning to "battle rifle", since most modern armies utilize the .30 cal. as a "specialized" rifleman's platform.

Both are semi-automatic rifles....why not leave it at that?

The rest is a matter of opinion and perspective--It's a rifle...it cannot battle or assault anyone. Yet people who are anti-gun love to use these descriptions to make the semi-automatic rifle appear "evil".
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Both are semi-automatic rifles....why not leave it at that?

The rest is a matter of opinion and perspective--It's a rifle...it cannot battle or assault anyone. Yet people who are anti-gun love to use these descriptions to make the semi-automatic rifle appear "evil".
    Don't call them black talons, their ranger rounds. I guess it has worked in that case.

For example the home SD shotgun, or is it a tactical, police, tench, combat, riot, military grade, etc. Most of the time it is all the same stogun.

I respect your opinion, and your right, it is what the anti-gun uses, words. At the same time I think by trying to hide such definitions, you might be making it into a dirty word. It is better they try and define something with a word and be taken apart, and able to demonstrate, it is just a word, that would include a hunting rifle if as defined.

Is Gun or Rifle a bad word? Maybe firearm is also the wrong word to? Maybe we should call them peace makers? I don't think you can win the name game with firearms (well, don't call something a cop killer, etc). By their nature, they are what they are. It is like trying to call a sword a large knife. It is what it is, with many possible definations.
    NRA Member

JD
    Administrator
    DUH! Peacemakers were Colts.

Regarding the Battle rifle, assault weapon...the term IMHO is interchangeable in current use, do I agree with the usage, no. They are just rifles and caliber doesn't matter that much by political definition, I could outfit a 10/22 to be classified by the Clinton AWB as being an assault weapon.

In actual, real life instances, I don't think there is anything that I would call an "assault weapon" just guns with different options. Handguns, rifles, shotguns, FA.

Regarding:

SD shotgun, or is it a tactical, police, tench, combat, riot, military grade, etc. Most of the time it is all the same stogun.
    That's not quite correct.

Tactical: Usually allows the attachment of silly, sometimes necessary gadgets.
    Police: Remington does have a "Police" model.
    Riot: That one is pretty interchangeable, as most police shotguns were referred to as riot guns.
    Combat: Not all shotguns are "Combat" shotguns, take a single bbl, break action .410.
    Military Grade Not all shotguns are military grade.
    Trench: This refers to the WWI era Winchester pump guns, a Browning 20g over and under is not a trench gun.

Can't we just debate Clip vs. Magazine like we used to?

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post

Tactical: Usually allows the attachment of silly, sometimes necessary gadgets.
    Police: Remington does have a "Police" model.
    Riot: That one is pretty interchangeable, as most police shotguns were referred to as riot guns.
    Combat: Not all shotguns are "Combat" shotguns, take a single bbl, break action .410.
    Military Grade Not all shotguns are military grade.
    Trench: This refers to the WWI era Winchester pump guns, a Browning 20g over and under is not a trench gun.

I admit I had not considered tactical does tend to include adding attachments. Still, all something someone might consider a home SD shotgun.
    NRA Member

JD
    Administrator
    In that aspect, yes. But putting two people on a skateboard does not a car pool make.

The term "Home defense" shotgun is because that is what the gun is being used for. You average "civilian" will not be assaulting or battling anything with their rifle....

So unless your an LEO, 0311, 11B etc, it's just a damn rifle.

VIP Member
    The definition of assault rifle is an intermediate range rifle capable of full and semi auto fire. The idea was invented by the Germans at the end of WW2 as a cross between a battle rifle and a submachinegun.

Speaking of the MP43... It fired a less powerful cartridge and had a lighter recoil as a result. However, Hitler, still thinking that troops needed a weapon capable of firing 2000 yards, ordered that production of the weapon not start. The German arms minister, however, knew the need of the new weapon, and changed the name to "Machine Pistol", which is what the Germans called their submachine guns like the US Thompson .45 cal. The trick worked and the weapon went into production at three factories and German troops all over the Eastern Front were clamouring for the new weapon. The whole affair was blown when a few divisional commanders asked Hitler at a conference when they would get the new weapon. Hitler was furious and ordered an investigation. Luckily for the men that had disobeyed the Fuehrer, the results of the investigation were so encouraging about the new weapon that Hitler changed his mind and announced that henceforward the weapon would be called "Sturmgewehr" or Assault Rifle. This was the world's first ever assault rifle." from diggerofhistory web site

A battle rifle utilizes a full power rifle cartridge capable of volley fire at over 1000 yards. A battle rifle does not need to be an auto to be called this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

So unless your an LEO, 0311, 11B etc, it's just a damn rifle.
    Does this mean my answer still counts?

Really, for a tactical sense (not do-dads hanging off tactical either), if I know the enemy has battle rifles, its going to up the ante a little bit in my book. I also think with the whole name thing, in the civilian world battle rifle probably sounds a bit better, as it brings to mind (for me at least), things like the M1 Garand leading the assault through Europe and the Pacific.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

The ideal modern rifle for the civvie:Benelli R1 ...if they made 10 round mags.

You average "civilian" will not be assaulting or battling anything with their rifle....
    Well, some family members in S. Texas might debate that point, but overall...

Defending?
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links