Home defense shotgun advice - Page 2

Home defense shotgun advice

This is a discussion on Home defense shotgun advice within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am a Remington 870 fan....cheap and reliable. Slap an 18 inch barrel and you're good to go...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I am a Remington 870 fan....cheap and reliable. Slap an 18 inch barrel and you're good to go

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Since we're talking about shotguns... Has anyone fired rifled slugs from an 18" IC smoothbore shotgun, using only a bead front sight? If so, then how accurate could you fire it? 25 feet? 50 yds? I'm asking because I'm considering a barrel for my 870 for HD and am trying to decide between the 18" barrel or the 20" IC barrel with iron sights.
    You didn't say if you were using a pistol grip - so I'm assuming you have a full butt stock. My preference would be for he 20" with iron sights. Remington iron sights bead up very quickly when you pull it to your shoulder.

At 25 feet I doubt you'd see much difference in accuracy between the two, at 50 yards the iron sights should hold a better and more consistent group. *Make sure you're only shooting foster style slugs out of that smoothbore. The newer sabot slugs are made for a fully rifled barrel.

What does everyone think about the MOSSBERG PERSUADER SHOTGUN.

Quote Originally Posted by Tombstone55 View Post
    The persuader is basically the same as a 500 or 590 with some added options/features. The 500 has been a proven platform, very reliable and easy to maintain. Same can be said for the Rem. 870. Basically a Chevy/Ford comparison - can't go wrong with either. But I will admit I am biased towards the 870.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tombstone55 View Post
    As long as it has a full stock and not just a pistol grip I'd say go for it. The persuader is a heavy hitter and a very, very good HD shotgun.

(note the use of two very's)
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    As long as it has a full stock and not just a pistol grip I'd say go for it. The persuader is a heavy hitter and a very, very good HD shotgun.

(note the use of two very's)
    Verily, verily it is an excellent choice!
    Don't they usually come in a kit, with both the full stock and 'just a pistol grip'?
    Best "with a full stock" + or - the pistol grip.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I saw online that there is a Persuader at Academy for $289 that comes with a full stock and pistol grip. I might get that and then purchase a stock/grip combo with some extra shell holders. Also a sling if it doesn't come with one.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

I use a Rem. 870 with 20" brl. Surefire forend/light Knoxx stock and a side saddle and sling. I have $1000 + in it. If I did it over, I would have gone with a VangComp 12g. they come with most of this stuff,and I wouldn't have a box full of after market parts.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Remington 870 or Mossberg 500/590 with an 18" barrel will be sufficient for home defense either in 12 or 20 gauge. I personally won't go with anything else other than 12 gauge, but that is just me. If recoil is an issue for you, there are reduced recoil loads available. The 870 and 500 are probably the most two popular pump action shotguns around with near infinite aftermarket accessories. I chose to replace my 870 with a Benelli Super Nova Tactical as my primary HD weapon. For the price you get a lot of gun with the Super Nova,

Ghost ring sights
    Polymer coated steel receiver that resists rust and corrosion
    Chrome lined bore
    Ability to field strip without tools (except have to remove the stock to remove trigger group)

Accessories for the Super Nova are much more limited than the 870 and Mossberg 500, but there isn't much that is needed other than maybe a mag tube extension.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Slugs in 18" bbl

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Since we're talking about shotguns... Has anyone fired rifled slugs from an 18" IC smoothbore shotgun, using only a bead front sight? If so, then how accurate could you fire it? 25 feet? 50 yds? I'm asking because I'm considering a barrel for my 870 for HD and am trying to decide between the 18" barrel or the 20" IC barrel with iron sights.
    I've used slugs in an 18.5" "Cruiser" bbl on a Mossburg 500 for years, and with some practice have been able to keep 5 shot groups @ 50yds on a 9" paper plate. The trick for me is getting my head down so I can 'sight' along the bbl using the front bead as a guide. I made it a little easier to get a quick sight by putting a "True-Glo" front bead in place of the original brass bead.

P.S. I use the cheap Winchester foster slugs. The premium and sabot slugs don't seem to be any more accurate from the smooth-bore.

Hope this helps.

Tracy

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    I was going to go with the 870 until I handled the Mossbery 590a1. Pretty much love at first site.

I've got the 18.5" barrel, it's 5 +1 and shoots like a dream.

Slugs out of the 18.5" barrel are no problem with the standard bead out to 25 yards. 25 to 50 yards is pretty much shooter dependent. Farther than that and you want to go with better sites for sure.

Bottom line you can not go wrong with either the Rem 870 or Mossy 500/590. Handle them both and go with the one that feels best.

As for the pistol grip, if you do not have a full stock you will find your accuracy just plain sucks at more than about 10 yards, and not much better closer. They may look "tacti cool" but you will be betting your life on the effectiveness. What's your life worth?
    NRA Life Member

I have a Maverick Security 88, 8 shot, 12 guage with a pistol grip full stock, heat shield with ghost sites, and flashlight mount. All for around $325

Why spend a lot of money when the gun is hopefully going to collect dust in standby mode.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post
    I was going to go with the 870 until I handled the Mossbery 590a1. Pretty much love at first site.

I've got the 18.5" barrel, it's 5 +1 and shoots like a dream.

Slugs out of the 18.5" barrel are no problem with the standard bead out to 25 yards. 25 to 50 yards is pretty much shooter dependent. Farther than that and you want to go with better sites for sure.

Bottom line you can not go wrong with either the Rem 870 or Mossy 500/590. Handle them both and go with the one that feels best.

As for the pistol grip, if you do not have a full stock you will find your accuracy just plain sucks at more than about 10 yards, and not much better closer. They may look "tacti cool" but you will be betting your life on the effectiveness. What's your life worth?
    I have the 590 Compact Cruiser with the Breacher tip. Granted, I won't be using it to blow doors, but it also would hurt like hell if used as an impact weapon. I don't mind the pistol grip, it's a good fallback gun for my GF to use. (Lock bedroom door, fire on anything coming in without the secret word, etc.)
    Guns don't kill people.
    Gaping wounds in vital organs do.
    ============
    NRA Life Member
    Colt M1911A1 / H&K USP45

This is my set up. It is the Mossberg Persuader with the Knoxx stock. I like it a lot.

Ron

Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

I've waited all these posts to make my suggeston. I know you said pump, but as a different option to consider...

I have a Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme (in 12 ga.) as my HD gun.
    Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme in 12-Gauge

I'm still armed with my Kimber at home, but I can pull out the 'initial welcome wagon' for the individual(s) kicking in a door or window...then Mr. Kimber comes calling.

I had the gun reworked for smooth operation and ease of ejecting shells. I can shoot and reload fairly quickly.

How many shots do you need at home?
    OMO and I know others will vary a lot!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links