Home defense shotgun advice

This is a discussion on Home defense shotgun advice within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Dang retsup, That's a very nice looking shotty. I really like the all nickel. I'd trade my 18.5" 870 Police for one of those. Maybe ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Home defense shotgun advice

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Dang retsup,

That's a very nice looking shotty. I really like the all nickel. I'd trade my 18.5" 870 Police for one of those. Maybe I need three shotguns?

2. Remove Ads

My suggestion is to avoid the short barreled models and get a conventional 12 gauge pump - either Mossberg or Remington.

THEN, take it to your local skeet or trap range and learn to shoot it well at clay birds. Shoot 50 or 100 rounds on three separate days - until you can hit half of the birds thrown.

Many people with HD shotguns really never learn to use the weapon.

gold40

Quote Originally Posted by gold40 View Post
    THEN, take it to your local skeet or trap range and learn to shoot it well at clay birds. Shoot 50 or 100 rounds on three separate days - until you can hit half of the birds thrown.

Many people with HD shotguns really never learn to use the weapon.
    I certainly agree that anyone intending to use a shotgun for self-defense needs to learn how to shoot it well, and how to run the gun (particularly important for a shotgun since many of the weapon manipulations can be rather fiddly). However, I don't really think shooting at clays is the best way to do that. Shooting aerial targets is quite different from shooting human assailants at across the room to across the yard distances. It would be better to seek out a shotgun gunfighting course specifically intended to teach using the shotgun for self-defense purposes.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Why? What is so great about a pistol grip that it needs seven exclamation points? This person is looking for advice so please explain.

To the OP: Go with a Remington or a Mossberg. I'm a lefty so I like the safety position on the Mossbergs better.
    I'll chime in here on the desireability of the pistol grip (i.e., grip with no butt stock). One of the (few, if not only) limitations of the shotgun for Hd is that due to its length, it can be difficult to present in the close quarters of a home. If you're not convinced of this, try taking your full-length shotty into a hallway and swing it around.

The pistol grip becomes an advantage by shortening the OAL of the weapon. It does have limitations: IMO it is only for shooting from the hip, not sighted shooting.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

a buddy of mine is asking me if i would like to buy his mossberg 500 with an 18 inch and i think he said 24 inch barrel together with a case and a few boxes of bird shot he would throw in. even though not interested in the bird shot, i dont hunt this is going to be strickly for HD. what is a fair price for this setup he said it is in great condition always well taken care of. seeing how he takes care of his tools at work i trust he has taken very good care of it.
    A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it.

Taurus PT1911AR, SA XD .40c
    S&W M&P 9c, Taurus Slim PT709

I have a quick question to put out there for you guys since it's kind of come up. Is it possible to change out the barrels of both the Remington 870 and Mossberg 500?
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post

I also have a 20 ga. Stoeger coach gun that my wife keeps on her side of the bed.
    Mine is in 12 Guage.

I went with the 870 because both agencies I have worked for have issued the 870. If that was not a concern of mine, then I would probably select the 870.

Can you tell? I really like the 870. If I wanted an autoloading shotgun I'd probably go with the FN or Winchester 1300, but that's just me.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BamaSteve View Post
    I have a quick question to put out there for you guys since it's kind of come up. Is it possible to change out the barrels of both the Remington 870 and Mossberg 500?
    It's possible with the Benelli Supernova. Complete in under 1 minute.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Fair price

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    a buddy of mine is asking me if i would like to buy his mossberg 500 with an 18 inch and i think he said 24 inch barrel together with a case and a few boxes of bird shot he would throw in. even though not interested in the bird shot, i dont hunt this is going to be strickly for HD. what is a fair price for this setup he said it is in great condition always well taken care of. seeing how he takes care of his tools at work i trust he has taken very good care of it.
    Hi Yankee,

I just picked up a Brand New 12g Mossberg 500 full synthetic stock(black) 28" and 24" bbl for $180, a used 18.5" bbl for $35 and a Butler Creek folding stock for $15 at an auction a few weeks ago.
    Not sure what I would give for ammo, the last I bought was a case of Federal 00Buck for $70 about a year ago.

Hope this helps

I've shot slugs out of an Open cylinder 18.5" bbl and at home defense ranges they all hit COM,I also shot them out of a 14.5"benelli semi auto Secret Service trade in and that thing was deadon at 25 yards
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by BamaSteve View Post
    I know that the Mossberg 500 you can change barrels, they offer different lengths and also offer a 24" .50 cal black powder muzzle loader barrel.

I'm going in a different direction. If a woman would ever use it, I'd get the Mossberg 500 cruiser in .410. Yep.
    I have a Mossy 500 in 12ga. P/G that I changed to the Knoxx (Balckhawk) Breacher's Grip. I could shoot that all day. Very little felt recoil.
    I recommended a woman co-worker get a 20 ga. Mossy youth model and she did. I swear that has more recoil than my 12 ga. Therefore she will only shoot birdshot.
    So, P/G .410 for home defense. Shoot the 2 1/2" buckshot (5 pellets) at 1200'/sec. Ouch! Easy to maneuver. Ammo is pricy and hard to find, but no more than 20 ga. Throw in a Taurus Judge and no one will want to face that.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    I'll chime in here on the desireability of the pistol grip (i.e., grip with no butt stock). One of the (few, if not only) limitations of the shotgun for Hd is that due to its length, it can be difficult to present in the close quarters of a home. If you're not convinced of this, try taking your full-length shotty into a hallway and swing it around. The pistol grip becomes an advantage by shortening the OAL of the weapon. It does have limitations: IMO it is only for shooting from the hip, not sighted shooting.
    I'm still not convinced. You go ahead and hip shoot if you like. I like my shotgun just the way it is. I think it is very handy in tight spaces.

002.JPG

The original point of my post though wasn't to debate the merits (or lack thereof) of the pistol grip. The point was why would you type a small blurb with seven exclamation points with no opinion/information to support what is the equivalent of a shout. When I read that post I pictured a sixth grade show off yelling "Oooh, oooh, pick me, pick me...". I'm all for differing opinions and advice. I just hate to see someone spouting off at the mouth.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

OD*
    I'd go with the 870P.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    If I wanted an autoloading shotgun I'd probably go with the FN or Winchester 1300, but that's just me.

Biker
    I believe the Winchester 1300 is a pump.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    The original point of my post though wasn't to debate the merits (or lack thereof) of the pistol grip. The point was why would you type a small blurb with seven exclamation points with no opinion/information to support what is the equivalent of a shout. When I read that post I pictured a sixth grade show off yelling "Oooh, oooh, pick me, pick me...". I'm all for differing opinions and advice. I just hate to see someone spouting off at the mouth.
    Why does the opinion of someone else bother you so much? Sure he may be adamant about his choice in a pistol grip.......so?

You say you hate to see someone spouting off at the mouth, but apparently think people want to read about how seven exclamation points bother you.

Remember opinions are like butt holes, everyone has one and they all stink.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links