Home defense shotgun advice - Page 4

Home defense shotgun advice

This is a discussion on Home defense shotgun advice within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by BamaSteve Why does the opinion of someone else bother you so much? Sure he may be adamant about his choice in a ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Home defense shotgun advice

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaSteve View Post
    Why does the opinion of someone else bother you so much? Sure he may be adamant about his choice in a pistol grip.......so?

You say you hate to see someone spouting off at the mouth, but apparently think people want to read about how seven exclamation points bother you.

Remember opinions are like butt holes, everyone has one and they all stink.
    Blow it out your pants Steve.

The point was to contribute and not distract.

ETA: His opinion doesn't bother me at all. What bothers me is that the OP asked a serious question and I think he deserves a serious answer. If the opinion is that a pistol grip is the best thing to have, at least back it up with some reasons (ala Pastor Pack). Just shouting things out as fast as can be typed doesn't help the guy who started this thread. How would you feel if nobody bothered to answer your questions seriously?

Oh, and by the way, yes you can change the barrel of a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870. It only takes about 10 seconds to do so. It's almost as fast, and certainly easier it seems, than typing a serious answer.
    Last edited by atctimmy; July 7th, 2009 at 06:19 PM. Reason: content
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    I'd go with the 870P.

I believe the Winchester 1300 is a pump.
    You're right, thank you for catching that.

I've got my models crossed. What is the "rebadged" Winchester autoloading shotgun that is the twin to the FN?

That's the one I'm thinking of.

OD*
    I believe they are calling it the Super Xģ3 now. I also believe it is currently the fastest cycling auto shotgun on the market.

Winchester Super X 3
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Mossy fans will tell you that only their model passed the Mil-Spec trials (true). Remmy fans will tell you there are more defensive 870s than any other shottie around (also true). My advice? Check out what brands, models & mods the trainers & students are using at the TOP LEO, military & civilian training locations. When folks are betting everything on their equipment, shooting hundreds of rounds a day, while under the guidance of the best instructors in the bizz...the nonsense & gadgets fall away quickly. All are 12 gauge, all have some sort of shoulder stock, all have rear sights, all accessories are the best quality that money can buy, and every gun is as simple as it can possibly be.

Past that? I'll leave to Mall Ninjas & Airsoft Spec Ops.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    I'd go with the 870P.

I believe the Winchester 1300 is a pump.
    It is a pump, here's mine.
    Attached Images

Here's my take:

Budget Scattergun - H&R, Rossi or Mossberg, all dependable bangs for the "buck"....($150-300)
    Mid-level scattergun: Remington, Winchester pretty much own this level. ($250-600)
    HIgh-end: Benelli, Beretta, Franchi (if you can find one). My personal preference is towards Benelli.....($1000+)
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

GMB

1st post

I have a Benelli Nova field gun. Great for Trap and Ducks but I do need a short barrel for the house. But finding a barrel that doesn't cost as much as a new gun is impossible. So I guess I will have to save up for another gun.

For now it will have to do. I have a light mounted with a barrel magazine support. It works great.

If I have to move about the house, I will use my Smith 686 Revolver instead of the Nova.

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    Here's my take:

Budget Scattergun - H&R, Rossi or Mossberg, all dependable bangs for the "buck"....($150-300)
    Mid-level scattergun: Remington, Winchester pretty much own this level. ($250-600)
    HIgh-end: Benelli, Beretta, Franchi (if you can find one). My personal preference is towards Benelli.....($1000+)
    Huh? The Benelli pump action tactical shotguns run around $325-$450, unless you want fancy camo.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Since we're talking about shotguns... Has anyone fired rifled slugs from an 18" IC smoothbore shotgun, using only a bead front sight? If so, then how accurate could you fire it? 25 feet? 50 yds? I'm asking because I'm considering a barrel for my 870 for HD and am trying to decide between the 18" barrel or the 20" IC barrel with iron sights.
    You are talking two different critters bubba!
    I hunt with smoothbore slugs her on the TN ridge. The black one is my HD gun, a Maverick 88 w/18" bbl. The camo Mossberg 500 below is my slug gun. 24" barrel and 4 Power Nikon prostaff Shotgun scope. You could get by with one Mossy 500 or Remington 870 and buy both barrels. But you are talking two different shooting enviornments here!

Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by Tombstone55 View Post
    What does everyone think about the MOSSBERG PERSUADER SHOTGUN.
    I have the Persuader 12 ga. I choose the 20" barrel because of the longer mag tube, and added a rail and light. Came with full stock and pistol grip. Very happy with this set up. No complaint so far!

Have a Remington 870 Tactical 12 ga. Retro-fitted it with a Hogue 12 inch L.O.P. stock and forend(both the overmolded type)..LOVE IT! Will add a small piece of rail for a SureFire and that's it. Ready to rock!!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

I did a lot of research before buying a Mossberg 500 20ga Super Bantam. Here's my analysis:

1.) 20ga so my wife has an easier time should she need to use it and I'm very confident it can do everything a 12ga can for my purposes. I also think I'll have an easy time finding ammo (the local wal-mart only has 12 and 20 in stock right now, and a lot of it)

2.) Mossberg because the ease of manipulation and thumb safety using similar muscle memory of an AR.

3.) Pump action because regardless of the ammo I use I feel more confident that it will function.

4.) No pistol grip so it can be fired from the hip. I like the pistol grip and so does my wife but we didn't feel it was as versatile for holly crap I need to defend myself right now shooting positions. If I did get a pistol grip I would have gotten a Remmington 870 so the safety could be manipulated from a full firing grip.

5.) Super Bantam so my wife can reach the pump plus I like the short stock because I can square up on a target to get better recoil management. (A full size stock fits on it also.)

I hope that all helps. Obviously different strokes for different folks but when in doubt I'd stick to versatility.

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    I'll chime in here on the desireability of the pistol grip (i.e., grip with no butt stock). One of the (few, if not only) limitations of the shotgun for Hd is that due to its length, it can be difficult to present in the close quarters of a home. If you're not convinced of this, try taking your full-length shotty into a hallway and swing it around.

The pistol grip becomes an advantage by shortening the OAL of the weapon. It does have limitations: IMO it is only for shooting from the hip, not sighted shooting.

One can easily shorten the OAL of one's shotgun by tucking the buttstock under the armpit, or holding at waist level, same as a pistol-gripped shotgun...

To me, the benefits of a buttstock (actually being able to aim the weapon, instead of just pointing it in the general direction of the threat; faster cycling (pump action)/reliable cycling (semi-auto); better control of recoil) hugely outweigh any supposed benefit of a slightly shorter pistol-gripped shotgun.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Check out what brands, models & mods the trainers & students are using at the TOP LEO, military & civilian training locations. When folks are betting everything on their equipment, shooting hundreds of rounds a day, while under the guidance of the best instructors in the bizz...the nonsense & gadgets fall away quickly.
    If that were true both the LEO's and military would be using the same thing.
    Lots of factors go into the buying decision, not just reliability. Cost, life span of the weapon, ease of repairs, and yes, lobbyists and deals.
    Maybe police use the 870 because they have a warehouse full of spares, who knows?
    Both are fine shotguns, I like the Mossberg because of the location of the safety, but that's just me. (and the cost)

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Maybe police use the 870 because they have a warehouse full of spares, who knows?
    The military is still using them too, have been since the last days of Vietnam (United States Combat Shotguns: Bruce N. Canfield).
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links