AR-10 vs M1A & AK-47 - Page 2

AR-10 vs M1A & AK-47

This is a discussion on AR-10 vs M1A & AK-47 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok. Now I have to throw in the FNAR chambered in .308. Semi- auto with bolt action accuracy. FN's platform is pretty good, I've been ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ok. Now I have to throw in the FNAR chambered in .308. Semi- auto with bolt action accuracy. FN's platform is pretty good, I've been looking for a .30 semi and I'm leang for the FNAR. What say u?

FNAR getting great reviews, haven't shot one. M1A is the .308 benchmark by which all are measured, there's a reason for that. FNFAL is my personal favorite for purely subjective reasons. PTR G3 (aka; Cetme, HK91) is as good as either but doesn't handle as well for me. AR10 loses most of the best AR15 advantages as it grows bigger/heavier so I don't see the up-side. AKs are what they are, but they ARE NOT .308 Battle Rifles.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I have an Eagle Arms (Armalite) AR10,I shoot it occassionally and have about 1200 rounds of surplus 7.62x51 ammo,The gun is great for longer ranges and the gas system helps tame the recoil,M1A's are just plain sexy and were used predominantly in long range matches for decades.I think it boils down to what makes your heart twitter,some guys like skinny girls and some guys like girls you can grip
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sorry I can't offer any advice as I've never owned any of them, but if money were no object, I'd love to have one of these.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I've got an AK (Norinco 56s), a AR-10 (DPMS), and have had lots of trigger time with M1A's...and of the three, I'd take the AR-10 if I could only choose 1.

First, the AK falls away for the cartridge; I'd much prefer .308 over 7.62x39.

The M1A falls away for ergonomics; magazine release, safety, everything just is (to me) more intuitive. Then again, I've also got lots of trigger time with AR-15's, as well.

Add on the Ar-10 is easier and much less expensive to customize, and it takes the easy lead.

Although, if I had my druthers over which .308 battle rifle, I'd prefer the HK91/PTR series any day.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    ...Add on the Ar-10 is easier and much less expensive to customize, and it takes the easy lead. Although, if I had my druthers over which .308 battle rifle, I'd prefer the HK91/PTR series any day.
    Why HK91 over AR-10?
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Mainly because of intangibles...for some reason, HK91's just plain work for me; they shoulder great, I love the sights, I've never met one that I can't hit what I want to with, and...I think--though I have no concrete evidence--that they have a edge in reliability.

And, to be dead truthfull...I just have a thing for HK's, in the same way some people have a thing for M1A's, AK's, whatever.

Like I said, intangibles. A good M1A, AR-10, FAL, or HK91 are all, really, going to be pretty darn equal on the field...it just comes down to what one prefers.

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Senior Moderator
    The only advantage of the AR-10 is that it infinitely customizable whereas on the HK after market parts are pretty limited.

Plus, the scope mount leaves a bit to be desired.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I have to agree with HotGuns on this one;

In a fight, I would rather have the AR-10 due not oly to the superiority of the .308 round ballistically, but the pure simple fact that any AR platform is faster in a fight to reload and get back on target than any AK, a fact I have proven myself on occasion....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Mainly because of intangibles...for some reason, HK91's just plain work for me; they shoulder great, I love the sights, I've never met one that I can't hit what I want to with, and...I think--though I have no concrete evidence--that they have a edge in reliability.
    I don't know about "no concrete evidence." When it comes to geting dunked, in pretty much anything, and still running, the 91 (and the FAL) have far and away better service reps than the AR system the world over. When you see turd world goobers waving their phallic symbols in the air, they are AKs, FALs or 91s. Not that the AR doesn't work, its just more maintenance sensitive.

Back to the 91 specifically: yes, the sights are superlative, close or long range. No gas system=maximum power to the projectile. Trigger pack is easy to work, and comparatively cheap.

VIP Member
    If I had the funds I would buy a M1A scout squad or SOCOM II.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    I don't know about "no concrete evidence." When it comes to geting dunked, in pretty much anything, and still running, the 91 (and the FAL) have far and away better service reps than the AR system the world over. When you see turd world goobers waving their phallic symbols in the air, they are AKs, FALs or 91s. Not that the AR doesn't work, its just more maintenance sensitive.

Back to the 91 specifically: yes, the sights are superlative, close or long range. No gas system=maximum power to the projectile. Trigger pack is easy to work, and comparatively cheap.
    By that I mean--I have no personal evidence in testing to failure of either an AR (direct gas impingement) or HK (roller-locked) systems; I gave up after about 2500 rounds through an AR15 with no failures (good lord was that rifle dirty), and I tend to baby my HK/PTR's (get cleaned after every outing).

I have the M1A, CETME pre ban, SAIGA .308, and H&K91(not clone). If I needed this type of rifle for trudging thru the woods for great distances, my choice would be hands down the Saiga. It has the 16" carbine barrel and has been tarted up with the TAPCO furniture. If I was shooting at targets from great distances, my M1A with leatherwood Camputer scope is just the ticket. If I want the best of both, the CETME and H&K91 cannot be beat. My M1A has a Douglas heavy barrel and McMillan stock. For a build job that is around $3500, this is not bad. The H&K 91 has good sights, and the surplus german scopes are a great buy these days... even though the prices are spiking.

I have heard nothing good about the AR-10 rifles, as they are not durable enough. I have not had any experiance with them, but from the reputation they have in my neck of the woods, I would pass.

I love the H&K91, and would strongly recommend this. It will perform well and the parts and mags are still cheap. I have a coomplete parts set for both the CETME and 91, but have not had to replace a thing as these seem pretty damn near indestructible.

As for the AK, I would skip on these and go with the SKS. They are a bit more accurate and are nearly as easy to maintain as an AK. They also make great rifles for younger shooters.

Just an FYI...

Saiga, which is made by the same company that makes the AK, makes a semi-auto AK in .308/7.62x51 . Both marking are stamped on the side. I bought mine for $400 new. It's no MOA gun, but $400 for AK reliability and a .308 cartridge I couldn't pass it up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links