whats in a name?

whats in a name?

This is a discussion on whats in a name? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; if this is too off topic please move.... I was reading in the 2a section the post on why many Americans BELIEVE that we are ...

Thread: whats in a name?

whats in a name?

if this is too off topic please move....

I was reading in the 2a section the post on why many Americans BELIEVE that we are buying more firearms and a new term (at least new to me) appeared in the article. "semiautomatic sport-utility rifles"i already try to use "firearm" rather than "gun" I think we all should try to use the term "sport-utility rifles" instead of "assault rifle". I don't want to hear any "a rose by any other name would smell just as sweet" non sense in this world names have a large impact on how ignorant people look at things. I am not just talking about firearms here it happens in every industry ( I am studying marketing and have taken classes on this) I think that by changing the name we could help sheep be less afraid of our sport. In he current political climate every non anti sheep helps. When hear the words assault rife they thing negative because assault has a negative connotation in this country, assault is associated with crime. Just a thought comments are welcome.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    "Sport-utility rifle"... I like it...

We do think in words... I just heard the President talk about "revenue enhancements"... we don't have tax increases any more....

I say we do it...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

To me, when people use the term "assault rifle"--it's usually because that is the term the press uses....and the press doesn't have an agenda, does it?

Using the term "assault rifle" implies pre-formed intent...because we all know assaulting someone is wrong (and illegal)...but now you have an "assault rifle"...OMG!! LOOK OUT!! GUNMAN! SNIPER!! (if it has an optic)...

I like the sport utility rifle moniker....SUR....like an SUV, it costs just as much to feed.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Self-defense rifle.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Boy howdy did I run into this one awhile back. I posted a few pics of the family shooting my new AR-15 and someone in my church was grossly offended. She had a daughter murdered awhile back with a gun, so naturally her feelings were a little skewed by that.

She just couldn't understand why a pastor would have an assault rifle machine gun. And she was very frustrated that I let my kids touch it.

I explained what the platform does, how people assault not inanimate objects and how the AR is only a machine gun in that all guns are machines. I called it a semi-automatic tactical rifle. At the end of the day I think she understood what I was doing.

I like the moniker "SUR" and like SD Rifle too.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Administrator
    But, Sport Utility Vehicles have a "pox" on them these days too.
    The Greenie Meanies want to ban Evil SUVs also.

Sports Utility Vehicle...Sports Utility Rifle...

Am I allowed to keep a SUR in my SUV?

I agree, connotations play a large part of public fear...our current administration has done this quite a lot lately. In fact, it's been stated that connotations serve as the first layer of lipstick for all their (the White House) pigs...

Sports Utility Rifle? Mmmmmm, it might just work.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Maybe we should use the term "Sports Hybrid". That is a military type firearm that has been adapted to sporting usage. Hybrid is a term that is popular today so why not take advantage of it.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    I like it...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdivence View Post
    if this is too off topic please move....

I was reading in the 2a section the post on why many Americans BELIEVE that we are buying more firearms and a new term (at least new to me) appeared in the article. "semiautomatic sport-utility rifles"i already try to use "firearm" rather than "gun" I think we all should try to use the term "sport-utility rifles" instead of "assault rifle". I don't want to hear any "a rose by any other name would smell just as sweet" non sense in this world names have a large impact on how ignorant people look at things. I am not just talking about firearms here it happens in every industry ( I am studying marketing and have taken classes on this) I think that by changing the name we could help sheep be less afraid of our sport. In he current political climate every non anti sheep helps. When hear the words assault rife they thing negative because assault has a negative connotation in this country, assault is associated with crime. Just a thought comments are welcome.
    Me, well I don't like it--what I think is going on, if you read the wording "semiautomatic sport-utility rifle" -----it just looks like the next step the anti-gunners will take in trying to give sporting rifles a bad name. They have most of the uneducated people believing an assault rifle is "full auto", so why not plant the seed in the publics head hunting rifles are also those bad semiautomatics.

I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first or last time I was, but who knows what goes on in their small heads.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

I don't like it. My rifles are assault rifles - I don't go around assaulting places with them, but that is the purpose behind their design. The 2nd Amendment doesn't say what kind of arms we're allowed to have, but it does make it pretty clear that they would be guns that a militia would use. If I was in a militia and I had to choose between a "Sport Utility Rifle" and an "Assault Rifle" I would choose the assault rifle every time. That and I don't like pandering to fools or beating around the bush. It is what it is....IMO

Austin

I don't think there should be any designation other than RIFLE, period. Assault rifle, hunting rifle, whatever. They are all rifles, and should be treated the same. The liberals started this crap as a way to point out certain guns they don't like with hopes of getting them banned. It worked too.

Anyway, I think it's ridiculous for me to have to call a rifle, a "sport utility rifle." So I'll just stick to calling all mine a rifle. The only designation I make is when it is necesary to point out what action type I am refering to. Then I will preface the word rifle with, pump, bolt-action, semi-auto, or whatever.

I personally am against the doube-speak crap. But, as a soon to be lawyer I can understand that words have meaning. In fact words can have several meanings depending on context and can even mean something entirely different from the dictionary definition, given the intent of the writer or speaker.

However, I think it is a sign that our society as a whole has become too soft and out of touch with reality when we have to invent words that are intended to somehow mask what is really going on.

When I kill an old sick dog, I kill him. You can call it "euthinasia" or "putting him to sleep" if you want, but he dies; thus I killed him.

I am a hunter ed. instructor, and this month's HEA magazine has an article about not saying that we kill animals. We now "harvest" animals instead. Well, the last time I ate one, it was dead, so it must have been killed first. I killed it, and am not afraid to say it. People have been doing this for 10s of thousands of years in order to survive. Why are we reluctant to admit it?? Newsflash, someone KILLED a frickin cow to make Nancy Pelosi's hamburger.

In Kalifornia, they are now having "mandatory conservation" of water due to drought; this used to be called "rationing", but we don't say that anymore.

At the hunter ed. range, we cannot refer to a firearm as a weapon, it is to be called a rifle, shotgun, or firearm.

I think it's all a load of crap, but Orwell would be proud. JMO YMMV.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    To be honest I like the Marine's Idea haha. He has a damn fine point.

And about hunting...

Believe it or not if they were to "Ban guns in our country" they would be taking the right to eat for many families in rural America away. It is a fact that many American families actually hunt in the wilderness to feed their families for a season. I know my cousin in fact lives 100 something miles away from the closest actual grocery store so he feeds his 2 kids and wife with Deer and other game and he grows his own food in a garden. He does work a normal job but prefers to live off the land as much as possible.

I just hope that this never happens to our ability to feed our selves not even discounting self defense as well.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Sponsored Links