R-25, M1A, Remington XCR, Ruger hawkeye M77

This is a discussion on R-25, M1A, Remington XCR, Ruger hawkeye M77 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a DPMS in .308 and it is basically a "black Rifle" Not what I would like to hunt with. My dilemma is that ...

Thread: R-25, M1A, Remington XCR, Ruger hawkeye M77

R-25, M1A, Remington XCR, Ruger hawkeye M77

I have a DPMS in .308 and it is basically a "black Rifle" Not what I would like to hunt with. My dilemma is that I want a .308 for hunting deer here in NY. I love the M1A, and the R-25 (about the same price) but know that a good bolt is hard to beat. The Remington 700 compact looks like a very nice weapon and so does the Ruger M77. It is really tough to find all of these to look at non the less get to shoot. What have you guys got to say, good, bad or indifferent about any or all of these. Big field but trying to decide. Cost is an issue but once I decide it will not be. Thanks....

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by obiwankabaldi View Post
    I have a DPMS in .308 and it is basically a "black Rifle" Not what I would like to hunt with. My dilemma is that I want a .308 for hunting deer here in NY. I love the M1A, and the R-25 (about the same price) but know that a good bolt is hard to beat. The Remington 700 compact looks like a very nice weapon and so does the Ruger M77. It is really tough to find all of these to look at non the less get to shoot. What have you guys got to say, good, bad or indifferent about any or all of these. Big field but trying to decide. Cost is an issue but once I decide it will not be. Thanks....
    I have a Ruger M77 MKll in .270 and it shoots like a dream and looks great doing it. Very nice furniture and deep deep bluing that almost looks like a black chrome. Great value for a gun of its type too.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by obiwankabaldi View Post
    AFAIK the R25 is made by DPMS. The M1A is heavy. The 700 is a great shooter in 30-06 the only one I have shot. For price consideration don't overlook the Savage 110.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

The only one on your list that I have any experience with the M1A.

It is 9.8 lbs, just about the same as the AR-10 or any other .308 that is not designed as a light weight hunting rifle (but this is about 2 lbs heavier than the average .308 bolt gun designed for hunting). As far as its handling goes, it handles real nice and you can get 5 rnd magazines for it if you do not want to look like “Rambo” while hunting. If you do not mind the weight and want to stay with a semi-auto that doesn’t have the “assault rifle look” then the M1A is a very good choice. It handles well and has good accuracy.

If you are reasonably good with a bolt action, or if you are a good enough shot that you will not need a second shot, and you want the lighter weight then I would go with a bolt gun.

Good luck.

The Winchester Model 70 if you can find on e is an excellent shooter. Just make sure you get the "pre-64" style action with the claw extractor not the push feed. That being said My next new bolt wil probably be a Browning A bolt or X bolt with the Dura-touch stock....very sweet guns.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Most of the major brands are good hunting rifles. I suggest going to a gun shop with a large selection and seeing in person which you like. Everyone is shaped a little different and while I love Browning rifles they don't fit me as well as Remington.

If you buy a Ruger, Remington, Browning, Winchester (classic/pre 64), Howa, Weatherby or Savage you will get a good hunting rifle. Just pick the one that fits you best (or feels the best in your hands). Bolt action rifles have been around so long and are such a competitive market that all the major players bring a very refined product to the consumer.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

If you shoot it well enough, I'd say go ahead and hunt with the DPMS - it doesn't matter what the bullet comes out of. To heck with the anti's, I say twist the knife a bit.

Links