My new carbine

This is a discussion on My new carbine within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Gold Dot recently added a 30 Carbine load. I'd love a reliable M1 Carbine. I have a junky old one that won't fire through a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 41

Thread: My new carbine

  1. #16
    Member Array FHBrumb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    USA, where else?
    Posts
    495
    Gold Dot recently added a 30 Carbine load. I'd love a reliable M1 Carbine. I have a junky old one that won't fire through a mag. It was free...
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    VIP Member
    Array shooterX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    2,849
    Quote Originally Posted by FHBrumb View Post
    Gold Dot recently added a 30 Carbine load. I'd love a reliable M1 Carbine. I have a junky old one that won't fire through a mag. It was free...
    I emailed Speer about this, and unfortunately it is only being offered to LE with no plans to offer to the public.

  4. #18
    VIP Member Array JoJoGunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    2,886
    Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!

    I love the M1 Carbine!!

    I'm jealous though. I own a .30 M1 but it's the after market Universal Arms one.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

    The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

  5. #19
    Member Array FHBrumb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    USA, where else?
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    I emailed Speer about this, and unfortunately it is only being offered to LE with no plans to offer to the public.
    Bad decision on two fronts. First of all, civilians deserve just as nice of ammo as police. Second, I'd bet there are waaaaaaay more M-1 Carbines in private hands... Seriously, how many police forces still issue the M-1 Carbine???

    I'm going to strip mine down and detail clean it, and see if I can get it reliable. Then I have to decide what to do about the color. It's gold plated, with a walnut stock. I have no idea why, but it is what it is...

    No, I'm not kidding, gold plated...
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

  6. #20
    VIP Member
    Array shooterX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    2,849
    Quote Originally Posted by FHBrumb View Post
    Bad decision on two fronts. First of all, civilians deserve just as nice of ammo as police. Second, I'd bet there are waaaaaaay more M-1 Carbines in private hands... Seriously, how many police forces still issue the M-1 Carbine???

    I'm going to strip mine down and detail clean it, and see if I can get it reliable. Then I have to decide what to do about the color. It's gold plated, with a walnut stock. I have no idea why, but it is what it is...

    No, I'm not kidding, gold plated...
    Where did you get a gold plated M1? Did it belong to Saddam Hussein?

  7. #21
    Member Array FHBrumb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    USA, where else?
    Posts
    495
    It was given to my Greatgrandfather to settle a debt many decades ago. He gave it to my Dad, my Dad gave it to me. It hung on my Dad's gun rack for as long as I can remember. I once asked him could I go shoot it, and he told me to have at it. It didn't cycle reliably, but he never once took it off the wall. For all he knew, it had just run through 1,000 rounds, when it was given over to our family. after I shot it, and it did so poorly, I didn't clean it either. It might just be gummed up with 50 years or crap.

    At one time, I'm certain it was very good looking. Now, it needs to be stripped, and get functional. I'd likely sell the stock on GB. Seriously, decent walnut, including the handguard. A few nics and sctraches...

    Maybe I'll sell the whole darn rifle, and buy a regular one. Maybe someone out there really wants a gold plated M-1 Carbine... I dunno, could happen...
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

  8. #22
    VIP Member
    Array shooterX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    2,849
    Quote Originally Posted by FHBrumb View Post
    It was given to my Greatgrandfather to settle a debt many decades ago. He gave it to my Dad, my Dad gave it to me. It hung on my Dad's gun rack for as long as I can remember. I once asked him could I go shoot it, and he told me to have at it. It didn't cycle reliably, but he never once took it off the wall. For all he knew, it had just run through 1,000 rounds, when it was given over to our family. after I shot it, and it did so poorly, I didn't clean it either. It might just be gummed up with 50 years or crap.

    At one time, I'm certain it was very good looking. Now, it needs to be stripped, and get functional. I'd likely sell the stock on GB. Seriously, decent walnut, including the handguard. A few nics and sctraches...

    Maybe I'll sell the whole darn rifle, and buy a regular one. Maybe someone out there really wants a gold plated M-1 Carbine... I dunno, could happen...
    You need to post a picture of your M1, I have to see this.

  9. #23
    Member Array FHBrumb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    USA, where else?
    Posts
    495
    I'm on my way out for work, but these give the idea...

    http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/q...Carbine004.jpg
    http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/q...Carbine003.jpg
    http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/q...Carbine002.jpg

    My guess is that you thought I was spoofin' ya?
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

  10. #24
    VIP Member
    Array shooterX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    2,849
    Quote Originally Posted by FHBrumb View Post
    No I believed you, just wanted to see it, thanks.

  11. #25
    Member Array FHBrumb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    USA, where else?
    Posts
    495
    I'm going to clean it up real well tonight. If it shoots OK, I'll see about getting it back to a more "manly" color. This is a little too much BLING for my taste.
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

  12. #26
    Member Array FHBrumb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    USA, where else?
    Posts
    495
    Learning...



    Universal Firearms Corp.

    30 M-1 BG round American Blk Walnut 24k gold plated yes no M-1 BB, gold "presentation" name plate

    Post 1966 it seems...
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

  13. #27
    Member Array FHBrumb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    USA, where else?
    Posts
    495
    I stripped the rifle as far as I could, and cleaned it. There was some serious snot inside this rifle. I used typical gun cleaning techniques followed by a dousing of Gunscrubber to remove said snot. Whether it gets better or not, is yet to be seen. Hand cycling look promising, but that's no real indicator of what happens at the firingline...

    I can also say that the trigger pull leaves much to be desired.
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

  14. #28
    VIP Member Array cvhoss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,045
    FHBrumb -- make sure you read about the safety issues concerning the Universal carbines. They seem to have a rather nasty habit of firing out of battery. Make sure you always wear good safety glasses while shooting it as a cartridge that generates 40,000 psi operating pressures firing out of battery would not be a fun experience. A couple of links for you:
    Universal M1 Carbine Production History

    CMP Discussion Forum - CMP Help: Stock Cleaning, Ammo, Mag ID & Accuracy
    (the first post is very long but well worth reading. In depth description of the out of battery problem about halfway through the post)

    shooterX -- congratulations on your new AO carbine. I've been wanting one of those ever since my shooting buddy bought one but haven't been able to convince myself to break loose that much cash ($746.00 from Bud's Gun Shop). I just got a good buy on an Iver Johnson (won't hijack your thread with details/photos) but I'm sure it's not on the same caliber as the AO carbine.

    Don't know how you're fixed for ammo, but here's a couple I see in stock:
    Graf & Sons - WOLF AMMO 30M1 110gr FMJ POLYFORMANCE 50/bx 20/cs
    (I don't care for steel case ammo, but you may not have a problem with it)

    AMM-601 - Ammo .30 Carbine BVAC 110 Grain FMJ 50 Round Box Made in USA using all new components
    (I hate pointing to CTD because their prices are so high -- don't know anything about this ammo brand)

    Have fun.

    Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

    NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

  15. #29
    Member Array FHBrumb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    USA, where else?
    Posts
    495
    I read a shorter iteration of that information elsewhere. Mine is of the first generation, and likely contains many USGI parts. My serial number starts with 92. Somewhere between 93 and 10something, the second generation starts, and most of the troubles were generation 3.

    When I cleaned mine up, I slowly worked the action to see if I could indice a situation where the bolt didn't close. I couldn't, on a clean rifle. Certainly burned powder and shavings of brass would make things worse pretty quickly.

    I'll spend some time considering how much I like shooting it. Likely not enough.

    Maybe I could sell it to a non-shooter type, and get an AO. This rifle is light as a feather, and shoots pretty well...
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

  16. #30
    VIP Member
    Array shooterX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    2,849
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    FHBrumb -- make sure you read about the safety issues concerning the Universal carbines. They seem to have a rather nasty habit of firing out of battery. Make sure you always wear good safety glasses while shooting it as a cartridge that generates 40,000 psi operating pressures firing out of battery would not be a fun experience. A couple of links for you:
    Universal M1 Carbine Production History

    CMP Discussion Forum - CMP Help: Stock Cleaning, Ammo, Mag ID & Accuracy
    (the first post is very long but well worth reading. In depth description of the out of battery problem about halfway through the post)

    shooterX -- congratulations on your new AO carbine. I've been wanting one of those ever since my shooting buddy bought one but haven't been able to convince myself to break loose that much cash ($746.00 from Bud's Gun Shop). I just got a good buy on an Iver Johnson (won't hijack your thread with details/photos) but I'm sure it's not on the same caliber as the AO carbine.

    Don't know how you're fixed for ammo, but here's a couple I see in stock:
    Graf & Sons - WOLF AMMO 30M1 110gr FMJ POLYFORMANCE 50/bx 20/cs
    (I don't care for steel case ammo, but you may not have a problem with it)

    AMM-601 - Ammo .30 Carbine BVAC 110 Grain FMJ 50 Round Box Made in USA using all new components
    (I hate pointing to CTD because their prices are so high -- don't know anything about this ammo brand)

    Have fun.

    Hoss
    Thanks for the ammo links Hoss. I actually found a few hundred rounds of Remington FMJ at Bass Pro. I also found two boxes of the Corbon DPX in .30 carbine, have more on backorder. I also picked up about 100 rounds of Federal JSP for it, but have read some so so things about this load. I saw your thread, like it very much.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. CZ 527 Carbine
    By psycho1 in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: March 21st, 2010, 10:09 AM
  2. .45 ACP Carbine
    By Zsnake in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: October 12th, 2008, 11:13 PM
  3. Carbine
    By hogdaddy in forum Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: September 1st, 2008, 08:17 PM
  4. M1 Carbine
    By Ride4TheBrand in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: April 2nd, 2007, 12:28 PM

Search tags for this page

.30 carbine bvac jsp
,
30 carbine gold dot
,
bvac .30 carbine jsp
,
bvac 30 carbine brass
,
cz 527 carbine forum
,

iver johnson .30 carbine

,

m1 carbine with reflex sight

,
modify ultimak for universal carbine
,
universal .30 carbine gold plated
,
universal m1 carbine gold plated
,
universal m1 carbine gold platered
,
what is the value of a post 1966 m1bg 30 cal gun
Click on a term to search for related topics.