Defensive Carry banner

Scout Rifles

4K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  sojourner 
#1 ·
Anyone have a Scout Rifle as described(generally)by the late Col.Jeff Cooper?? Would be interested in what you guys have. Any set-ups done on the cheap?(<$750)Thanks:smile:

#4 ·
I don't think the scout rifle concept every really caught on. At the time semi-auto rifles in larger calibers were uncommon and not much known for accuracy, so a lightweight, full-caliber brush gun with a scope was bound to be a bolt gun. Nowadays, you can do as well or better better with an 18-20", medium- or light-profiled barrel semi-auto rifle, with a wider array of optics than every before. Given this, I can't help but think of the original scout rifle as obsolete.

Unless, of course, you simply want a lightweight, full-caliber rifle with a scope. :wink:

-B

#5 ·
I have a Takedown BLR on lay-awake, er, I mean layaway, and Browning makes a scout-type scope mount for it. I have liked the concept, from reading, especially Col. Copper's stuff, and from handling some scout rifles of various makes in gunshops. I used to like rifles with iron sights, and with my 20/13 or better vision, disdained scopes on lightweight rifles, but am getting to the age when glass is becoming my friend

#6 ·
Here's one of mine done as a scout rifle:

Attachments

#7 ·
Until someone actually USES a Scout Rifle sight system, it's difficult to convey how fast it actually works. While the Steyr is high-priced (and worth it), the same utility can be assembled from most moderately priced bolt-action rifles. I prefer short-action bolts (.308) with the Savage 110 or the previously mentioned Ruger M77 leading the pack. The lever-action Scout varities also have a lot going for them, especially with the availability of increased performance lever-action ammo. Light, short, quick & handy are hallmarks of all the base rifles. Past that, get a Galco "Ching Sling" (the synthetic version) & don't cheap-out on the optics. IMHO, it's as close to "The Universal Rifle" as you can get.

#10 ·
The 'scout' setup is VERY fast. That's why it's my dangerous game gun!

#11 ·
A friend of mine had a savage scout rifle in .308 that he let me shoot one time. I really liked this gun, he had a C-More sight mounted on it, I had no problem at all whacking steel gongs and silhouette targets out to 200 yards with it. Would I use it on dangerous game? Absolutely.

#12 ·
had a C-More sight mounted on it,
I'll personally pass on any sort of electronic sight on a dangerous-game rifle. For the same reason that I prefer not to use a battery-powered (quartz) watch to scuba dive or navigate. I do not like Murphy, but I DO believe his law. I simply don't want to be; deep underwater, far off-shore (high in the air) or facing an animal that can EAT me...when my battery goes dead. :gah:

#13 ·
Savage or Ruger(probably .308) in the bolt department and it looks like a Marlin Guide Gun(45.70 or .444) on the lever side. Excellent choices. Ching Sling. Optic and or good hi-visibility iron sights. Thanks guys!!:smile:

#15 ·
If you are looking for magnification, there are really only 2 choices for scout type, aka Intermediate Eye Relief, scopes.
(1) Leupold FX-II Scout Rifle Scope 2.5x * 28mm
(2) Burris Scout Scope 2.75x * 20mm

If you are like me, your research will lead you to these 2 purpose built scopes, then look at regular rifle scopes whose Eye Relief is too short. Then look at pistol scopes, whose Eye Relief is too long. Then look at red dot type reflex sights (who do not offer magnification).

I like the scout concept and want to get the savage scout. I do have a marlin 30-30 lever set up in semi-scout configuration for hunting.

My 30-30 has a red dot sight and back up irons. For the 30-30 I can hit @100 yards without issue. After that, my eyesight fails me before the bullets capability. fiber optic backup if/when the red-dot gives problems.

If I do get the savage scout in 308, I would definitely put the Leupold FX-II on it.

If you find anything other than those 2 scopes I mentioned (with the proper eye relief), I would like to hear about them.

#19 ·
thanks for the replies. The only other feasible one for me, other than the leupold IER scope, is the nikon scope. I may take a look at that one. I like nikon scopes and think they are good value for the money. In fact, I like nikon optics. I have nikon rifle scopes, nikon binoculars and a nikon spotting scope.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.