WASR 10/16 Quality

WASR 10/16 Quality

This is a discussion on WASR 10/16 Quality within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What exactly is it that makes WASRs looked upon as such inferior weapons compared to say, an Arsenal AK? Fit and finish? One inch added ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WASR 10/16 Quality

What exactly is it that makes WASRs looked upon as such inferior weapons compared to say, an Arsenal AK? Fit and finish? One inch added to groups at 100 yards? A little magazine wobble? Are those things worth paying another 600$ for or are the romanian parts themselves actually inferior and more prone to failure?
    Thanks
    GUN CONTROL IS USING BOTH HANDS

I believe its a shoulder thing that goes up - Carolyn McCarthy (D)

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says go away in every language.
    -Clint Smith

Well, if you read up on the most common WASR issues(there is a sticky under the AK47board on ar15.com), and you have a chance to look before you buy, $600 is pretty much fair market value right now.

Most of the issues are "buff-n-polish", the WASRs are much rougher, with some definite improvisation by Century.

A lot of it is fit and finish, but there are some functional issues. WASR's are a lot more likely to have a canted front sight base than higher dollar guns. Magazine wells are often out of spec, which can lead to feeding problems or difficulties inserting and removing magazines.

I wouldn't buy one online, sight unseen, but if you can find one locally and inspect it to look for any of these issues they can be a good gun for the price.

BAC
    The construction of the receivers compared to, say, Arsenal AKs also makes a difference in overall quality of the rifle (accuracy, durability, etc.). In the case of AKs, fit and finish actually is a decent indicator of the quality of the rifle. Whether or not the qualities of an Arsenal AK are worth a grand to you is a personal decision. I used to think no AK was worth a grand (heck, no AK was worth $500), but my opinion on that has changed. If you have a durable, functioning fighting rifle that can hold 2-4 MOA then I would call it fair to compare it's price to an AR with similar qualities (though I'd still price the AK a little less than an AR).

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Just look at the gun. If the front sight and gas tube seem to be on straight, then buy it. I have seen a lot of WASRs, and only one example had any detectable cant of a front sight, and it was nearly impossible to see and would in no way effect accuracy or reliability.

Your WASR will last you through 2 major wars and a serious family feud or two and still be doing exactly what the AK is famous for: going 'bang' every time with any ammo regardless of dirt, rust, dung, or weather.

If you choose to spend more on an AK-47 than the $550-600 required for a nice, clean WASR, that is fine too, but if you expect your higher dollar gun to put more rounds on target downrange, you are not going to be a happy camper.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    I bought a milled Bulgarian AK for less than 600 bucks, tax, tag, and title. I also have a WASR. The Bulgarian seems more "rugged" and better built... definite difference in fit and finish.

If that 600 bucks isn't too hot in your pocket, hold out for a Bulgarian... you can find one for $500 or $600...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

sorry for being a little unclear, my fault. I already have a WASR, one of the good ones (i.e. no canted front sight base, only a little mag wobble) and was wondering are the inside parts inferior to an Arsenal. What I mean by inferior is will they break sooner and be $600 dollars worth less accurate. I was able to pick my WASR up back in november for $450 new, while these days the Arsenal is about $600 more than that.

-Clint Smith

Nope, most builders use the Tapco G2 trigger pack (probably what you have), and despite Tapco's other failings, the G2 is pretty much "the standard" for an AK trigger group.

wpk
    I have a WASR 10/63 and it's a fantastic shooter. Paid about $550 for it about two months ago or so. I had to clean it up real good and refinish the wood furniture, but it's a great rifle and I'm glad I got it.
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Nope, most builders use the Tapco G2 trigger pack (probably what you have), and despite Tapco's other failings, the G2 is pretty much "the standard" for an AK trigger group.
    yep thats whats in there

do you know about the bolt carrier group and barrel?

-Clint Smith

My WASR is boring, all it does is go bang when I pull the trigger.

I get tickled when people poke fun when I say it's a WASR, only to find when I come with them to the range that my gun not only looks better than theirs, but shoots better too.

Granted, mine didn't come looking like that. I refinished the stocks and polished the bolt carrier.

Mine has no cant or wobble to speak of. Great fun at the range, and as solid as you would expect any AK to be.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by bal_g23 View Post
    do you know about the bolt carrier group and barrel?
    There is one potential issue with the bolt carrier on WASRs. Century replaces the gas piston/op rod with a US made part for 922r compliance. Unfortuantely, they weld it into place rather than riveting it, as is done on the original. The gas pistol is supposed to have a little bit of play in it, but welding it fixes it in place. Lots of rifles run all right with a welded piston, but you can have someone drill the weld out and replace the piston with a new one and rivet it in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    There is one potential issue with the bolt carrier on WASRs. Century replaces the gas piston/op rod with a US made part for 922r compliance. Unfortuantely, they weld it into place rather than riveting it, as is done on the original. The gas pistol is supposed to have a little bit of play in it, but welding it fixes it in place. Lots of rifles run all right with a welded piston, but you can have someone drill the weld out and replace the piston with a new one and rivet it in place.
    This is what I was thinking about. I thought I heard something like that somewhere. Is it possible to just buy a new piston and drop it in yourself?

-Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by bal_g23 View Post
    This is what I was thinking about. I thought I heard something like that somewhere. Is it possible to just buy a new piston and drop it in yourself?
    As I understand it, you have to drill out the weld, replace the gas piston, and rivet in the new gas tube. I would consider that beyond my limited gunsmithing abilities, but YMMV.

way beyond mine too

-Clint Smith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links