Defensive Carry banner

Recommendations for BRIGHT light for Mossberg 500

36K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  ghost tracker 
#1 ·
Just bought this lightly used Mossie 500 -

I'm looking for a bright light with a pressure switch, maybe around $100. I'd appreciate any feedback from guys using something with about 80 lumens (or more), maybe even strobe effect.

Another question - does it matter much about "spot" versus "flood"? I'm gonna use this in HD situation, so I would think a wide floodlight beam would be better than tight spot beam, but please correct me if wrong.

I'd be extremely grateful for recommendations.

I know many here do not like pistol grip, but that grip is staying put, as my house is small, with very tight corners and halls.

Thanks

-

See less See more
#2 ·
Check out the Tac Star WLS 2000.

It's available at Midway and in your price range. It's only 70 lumens, but I've found it to be durable and have had no issues with about 50 rounds of 00 Buckshot, 50 rounds of 7 1/2 Birdshot and 20 Slugs out of my Home Defense Shotgun.

For me the durability counts for a lot.

Biker

#5 ·
I have a Mossberg 590... There is a very nice set of add-ons available from the MAKO group Mossberg Accessories: Mako Security, Inc.

I added
1. PR-MO : Forward Grip with picatinny rail
2. T-GripR : Tactical Foregrip with 1" Flashlight adapter w/ rear Activation

The PR-MO has a full bottom rail and two short rails on either side, so I put the grip on the bottom with a Sure-Fire Flashlight. The rear activation of the light works perfect with the rear activation on the pistol grip (no little cord and pressure switch needed) The grip also has a safety to prevent accidental activation of the light.

On the side rail, I put an inexpensive red laser that I have adjusted to be centered to the ghost-ring sights at 20 feet. The laser is one intended for a pistol mount, with a slide-type activation switch that would be just in front of the trigger gaurd (if on a pistol under-barrel pic rail) I can turn the the laser on/off with my thumb.

The laser on a HD shotgun might seem a little over-the-top, but it allows me to shoot from behind cover or from the hip quite easily.

Anyway, check out the Mako stuff to see if you like anything. The products are actually made in Israel by another company, but imported by MAKO.

I'll try to get some pic posted of my HDSG rig when I get home tonight.

#9 ·
Here are some pics of the current Rig. I was considering options for the sling while I took these, and switched it to a single point on the back of the stock so I can make sure the light doesn't get blocked.

The one with the sight picture is a little out of focus, but shows the laser on the wall. It's a lot closer than 20 feet in the pic, but gives the idea... I guess at that range, with a 12g, a couple inches off center won't matter :gah:

Attachments

#10 ·
Here are some pics of the current Rig. I was considering options for the sling ........
Great pics, thanks. A few questions:
1) Does the light have a pressure switch built into the front pistol grip?
2) How about the laser; does that have a pressure switch?
3) Do you like the front pistol grip?

I have a sling on mine, but honestly, I can't see any purpose at all for the sling in HD situation. Plus, when I practice grabbing the gun I notice the sling often times just gets in the way. I think I will take my sling off and simply keep 6 extra shells on the side saddle.

-

#11 ·
Another possible choice is a Surefire G2 LED, 80 lumens, and Tac Star makes a barrel mount that'll work and they also make a pressure switch for the G2.
Or you can try the Streamlight TL-C4 LED at 120 lumens and they make a pressure switch and some mounts for it also.

#17 ·
Thanks, but (after some studying on the subject) I ended up with a 70-lumens TacStar, plus I added a pressure switch. The stuff I read said to use about 70 lumens, which makes sense. Too much lumen power can cause night blindness for the shooter, when the light bounces off interior walls. It's OK to blind the BG but not yourself!

I don't see how anyone can use a tactical light without a pressure switch. It's really handy.

-

#19 ·
Here's a link to the TacStar that I bought - LIGHT-121 - TacStar Tactical Light System with Mounts 70 Lumens Complete Tactical Package.

It has a universal mount that should fit almost any shotgun. Plus, the pressure switch is included. I had to superglue the velcro to the stock. It would not stay stuck, no matter how much I cleaned the stock.

I think this TacStar is a good buy. It's only $80, plus the pressure switch and mount are both included. And it seems to be just the right level of brightness.

-

#21 ·
As far as I can ascertain, it's designed to stay on the gun. And for me, that's EXACTLY where it's staying at all times, lol.

Oh, btw, the light comes with a standard button rear switch, so you can use that if you don't want the pressure switch. I noticed the pressure switch gets warm if you hold it on for very long, but I figure this is a SHTF light, so it's gonna be intermittent use only for me.

And one more thing - the focused spot is dead on the impact zone. So this kinda doubles as aiming aid. The shot load hits right where the spot focuses at 15 to 20 feet. It's pretty dang cool. Seems perfect for home defense.

-

#22 ·
Couple of "for what it's worth" thoughts. Use caution when picking a tactical shotgun light. There's a world of set-ups that haven't failed yet, but I trust the advice of pros betting their OWN 1* on their equipment. They've got the advantage of combined decades of authentic field experience. Real-world door kicking, felon chasing, Murphy's Law EXPERIENCE. Here's what I've learned.
Use dedicated LED (not "shock-isolated" Xenon) bulb/reflector modules. Shock-related bulb failure (recoil and/or impact) is almost 100% eliminated with LED. The choice also extends battery-life at the same lumens. SUREFIRE won't build, sell or suggest a corded remote end-cap switch for the G2L. I have it from them & some serious flashaholics that there ISN'T a good (low-budget) way to mount a G2L as a gun-light. Tandem battery configuration >>(+-)(+-) invites cells to "pop" together at recoil. No good. Adding an aftermarket coiled remote switch (remember, SF WON'T make one) means curcuitry reliability issues with the changes in switch voltage & resistance.
Better off to get a SUREFIRE Mossberg 500 forearm or a short-rail mounted SF X300/400. The Streamlight TLR1 is a good buy at ~$100. Anything less is..., well, uh, something less.
I'm not wealthy, but I've weighed the "cost of failure" carefully & decided that previous (frugal) gun light attempts had combined to cost me much more that ONE good (dedicated) gun light would. IMHO, this is NO PLACE to be experimenting. Good Luck!

#23 ·
..... Real-world door kicking, felon chasing,.....
Better off to get a SUREFIRE Mossberg 500 forearm or a short-rail mounted SF X300/400. .....

Yes, this all sounds like very good advice. But I don't think he (or many of us here) is doing any of the "Real-world door kicking, felon chasing" stuff that you mention. Surely if he (or one of us) was, he would not be asking here on this forum. He'd be asking one of his Swat-mates with the decades of experience that you mention.

Involvement in the activities that you describe would certainly mandate the most rugged equipment available. For home defense though, is that extreme ruggedness really necessary?

However, your points are well taken. It only takes one hurricane and you can easily find yourself in a complete SHTF chaotic state of anarchy, similar to Katrina/New Orleans. So I guess you'd really be hoping you had the very best equipment at that point.......

-

#24 ·
For home defense though, is that extreme ruggedness really necessary?
IMHO, yes! I agree that personal HD doesn't happen as often as LE felony arrests, but when it does happen, that moment is just as life-threatening. It's a individual decision, just like everything else. It only takes one inopportune failure to make the extra $$$ seem (in my view) insignificant. The SF G2L is a fine medium-budget gun light option as long as one doesn't try to add a corded remote switch. I expect most HD situations can be well-handled with a (factory available) SF "press-flash/click-on" tail switch. The stock G2L tail-switch must be twisted for constant-on. That means (at least) releasing the forearm with your weak hand to keep your light shining while shucking the slide. That's just too much motor-skill for me to think about in a high-stress scenerio. As for low-budget options? Well, it's common practice to run 500 flawless rounds through any SD handgun before trusting & carrying it. I would respectfully suggest the same criteria be used for a "bargain" shotgun light. When the third one in-a-row fails the test (and it will) the cost then equals what a one quality gun-light would have cost. I've MADE this mistake. I'm just suggesting y'all not make the same one. :bier:

#25 ·
IMHO, yes!......The SF G2L is a fine medium-budget gun light option as long as one doesn't try to add a corded remote switch. ...... That's just too much motor-skill for me to think about in a high-stress scenerio........

I don't understand your logic here. The corded switch seems like the perfect thing. I have the switch located right where my left thumb will naturally fall. There's nothing to think about at all. Press the switch and I get a momentary flash of light. Plus, the spot is focused right at the impact zone. It's virtually as good as a laser sight and it's as simple as simple can be.........

I agree that some things can get in the way. For instance, I had a sling on the shottie, but after some practice, it was easy to see that the sling would often times just get in the way. So I took the sling off. Simple is good, IMO. :rolleyes:

-

#27 ·
Chevy SS, I had guessed you had read my and Surefire's opinion on adding an aftermarket remote coiled switch to a G2L. It messes with the LED circuitry because of increased current resistance resulting from the cord. It's not at all that a curly switch (in itself) is a bad idea. It's a GREAT idea! But adding one to an LED Surefire (non-gun light) is asking for problems. So, if I was determined to use a G2L on my shotgun, I just wouldn't include a curly. The Xenon G2 isn't as sensitive to the cord-resistance issue (no circuitry), but then the bulb is more "fragile".

Varob, The SF 618 is THE optimum solution. I wouldn't expect you to have a second's trouble. Money well-spent & Nice Pick!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.