Need help on new hd shotgun - Page 2

Need help on new hd shotgun

This is a discussion on Need help on new hd shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well guys thanks for all the advice I took the pt111 to the show today sold it and 400 rounds of ammo to a guy ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help on new hd shotgun

Well guys thanks for all the advice I took the pt111 to the show today sold it and 400 rounds of ammo to a guy for $375. Walked around looking for a Coach gun none to be had so I settled on a Mossy 500 with a pistol grip (before you yell at me I have a new stock on the way) out the door $360 NIB. Then a box of 00 buck $29 not bad for a $14 day. Almost turned bad the wife fell in love with a Kimber ultra carry ss $875. Her birthday is 8-10 might just have to get it for her.
    Last edited by jbum; July 12th, 2009 at 08:09 PM.

Well I have a PT 111 and carry it alot, and can't see parting with it (that's just me). But for shotty's I modified an 870 rem. and it is quit nice for my household protection. Wife is good with it. Good luck. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    A lot of people here like the Rem 870, can't go wrong with it.
    Mine is on page 6.

Shotgun images

If your wife may have to use that shotty one day you would do well to consider an autoloader in 20 Guage. The main reason I use a 12 is because it's what we use at work, so that makes training on my own time easier.

Biker

Apologies forgot the pix
    Attached Images

I have several Mossbergs and a Stoeger and like them all. If you get a Mossberg, some of the newer 500 and the 88 have a fixed fore grip so if you plan on modifying it or adding accessories, keep that in mind. I think the 500A still comes with a action slide and seperate fore grip. The others can be modified you just need to change out the new one piece with the older style action slide/nut and what ever grip you want.
    Have Gun ~ Will Carry
    S-Safety
    M-Motivation
    A-Awareness
    R-Responsibility
    T-Training

I noticed you said tricked, in personal experience, unless your in my line of work tricked can acually be a damper. I owe many a thanks to my moss 500, and the only upgrades i have on it are a choke and a strobing LED. Simple is good, and low prices never always mean bad quality. My 870 is 20 yrs old, never a problem. My 500 has seen about 5000 3 in mags, never a problem. I trust my life to either when im home.

Administrator
    My idea of a tricked out gun has nothing to do with goofy bolt ons.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    870 gets my vote.

+1 on keeping it simple. I like a good ol' pump shotgun. I bought a pistol grip from ATI ($18.99) and am looking for a short barrel. This is my hunting shotty and doubles as HD when not out for a hunt.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

870 or a Mossy 500/590...all solid performers.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Nice choice. I changed my P/G to the Knoxx (Blackhawk) Breacher's Grip. I could shoot that all day. Also if you notice the 4 set screws on top of the receiver, UTG makes a rail that fits those perfectly. I found mine on e-bay and mounted an inexpensive LED light on the rail.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    I don't see any hate yet. As SIXTO said, simple is good. I happen to think the 870P to be worth the few extra bucks, with its stronger springs and better QC, but the most noticeable plus is the greater smoothness. Every new 870P I have handled is distinctly smoother than cheaper 870s.
    I read where the only difference between the 870P and the 870 is the P version uses the same people all the time to assemble the guns. The 870 is more of an assembly line gun where the folks may be building 870's one day and semi autos the next.
    No parts difference.
    Am I wrong?

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    All good choices discussed here. I was going to go for one of those pumps, but ended up getting a a good deal on a semi-auto. So, my shottie is a Rem 11-87 with ghost ring on a short barrel (it's either 18.5" or 21"; I've seen both listed in various specs, but I haven't actually taken the tape measure to it...).
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links