Need help on new hd shotgun

This is a discussion on Need help on new hd shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looking to trade in the pt111 pro for a HD shotgun the wife is tired of carrying the 111 and is sticking with the 638 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help on new hd shotgun

Looking to trade in the pt111 pro for a HD shotgun the wife is tired of carrying the 111 and is sticking with the 638 (she is such a wussy)
    so I really have no use for it. Going to a gun show this weekend and want your thoughts on what to get picks would be nice as well with tricked out scatter guns.

Thanks in advance!!!!!

A lot of people here like the Rem 870, can't go wrong with it.

VIP Member
    Remingtom 870, Mossberg of your choice, maybe even a Stoeger Coach gun... I have all of them.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Most here will prefer the Moss or Rem pumps, but I (like the above poster) prefer my Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme (in 12 GA).
    I had my Stoeger reworked by Coyote Cap (Google him) and my coach gun is now Deeeeeeeluxe.
    Looks like this...
    Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme in 12-Gauge

Makes for easy movement through the house, and those shinny double barrels are not something you want to be staring at from the wrong end.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    K.I.S.S.

I'd buy an 870, but a 590 isnt a bad choice. Remington has a nice, simple 870 HD model that can be had for right around 350. The key to a good HD shotgun is simplicity.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Most people seem to like the Mossy 500's, but my shotty of choice would be a Benellie Super Nova Tactical 12gauge personally. Granted it may cost a little bit more but damn is it a sexy gun.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I don't see any hate yet. As SIXTO said, simple is good. I happen to think the 870P to be worth the few extra bucks, with its stronger springs and better QC, but the most noticeable plus is the greater smoothness. Every new 870P I have handled is distinctly smoother than cheaper 870s.

Thinking the Coach is sweeeet and may be the way I go. Thanks for all the input gang!!! Will let you know Sunday afternoon.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    I don't see any hate yet. As SIXTO said, simple is good. I happen to think the 870P to be worth the few extra bucks, with its stronger springs and better QC, but the most noticeable plus is the greater smoothness. Every new 870P I have handled is distinctly smoother than cheaper 870s.
    Agree 100%. I really like my P, there is a large difference between it and the express guns.

But, I think for normal HD purposes, the express guns are fine. Is the P a better gun? You bet.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    Thinking the Coach is sweeeet and may be the way I go. Thanks for all the input gang!!! Will let you know Sunday afternoon.
    My Dad had a Stoeger Coach, he loved it, it is now my brother HD shotgun.

Being on a budget I talked my wife into buying me a Mossberg 88 shotgun with a 28" ribbed barrel for dove hunting. I then ordered a 18.5" barrel for a Mossberg 500 and now I have a hunting shotgun and a home defense shotgun. Total cost: 169 + 80 = 249 plus tax. By the way the 88 will really reach out there for clays. Haven't gotten to shoot the HD barrel yet. Holds 5 + 1 with the plug out. Recoil not bad except when shooting 3" high velocity magnums. True, it is a budget shotgun but it does what I need it to do exceptionally well. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

Another vote for the Mossberg 88, I have the 18.5 inch model.

I'd get a Mossberg 500. Better safety placement than the 88 or the 870.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    The most common choices for home defense shotguns would be of course the Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 or Maverick 88 if you're on a tighter budget. I like to be different though and at first I figured well the 870 is good enough. A buddy of mine told me to try out his Benelli Super Nova and at first I was sort of apprehensive because it felt so light compared to my 870 and I thought I would go home with a bruised shoulder. Well I'll just say I wound up buying one soon after.

I was about to buy a Mossberg 590 with ghost ring sights before my Benelli, but the 590 was priced at 610 and the Super Nova was 479. I really wanted a shotgun with rifle style sights so I can shoot slugs more accurately. I can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn with a plain 870 with a bead sight.

I still love the 870 though, it is one tough shotgun!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Mossbergs have a tang safety which is great for lefties
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links