Bore sighting

Bore sighting

This is a discussion on Bore sighting within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone have any tips on how to simply bore sight my 10/22 in my house without having to go to the range?...

Thread: Bore sighting

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Bore sighting

Anyone have any tips on how to simply bore sight my 10/22 in my house without having to go to the range?

Do you have a bore light with an angled head? Do you have a keychain laser? There are a few ways to do this, and last time I did it with a semi automatic 22lr, it was with those plastic Tasco things where you put on a scope cover with a pin hole in it over the objective and a collimator with graph stuck in the muzzle held with a plastic pin. Probably the easiest thing today would be to get the universal laser bore sighter from Wal Mart (I forget the exact brand..), for around $45. But there are more frugal ways of doing this...you just have to be creative. Make sure your scope cross hairs are perpendicular by looking through the scope inside the house at a door jamb or wall edge with the rifle in a vise or cleaning platform that makes it level and perfectly vertical. It really depends on what lengths you're willing to go to save forty some odd bucks. I'm just saying it can be done to put you on paper at 25 yds, but you'll eventually need to sight it in at the range to be dead on and trustworthy. Just make sure those cross hairs are as near perfectly aligned vertical and horizontal with the scope rings not overly tight before you start making adjustments, or you'll be fighting an uphill battle. I can't count the number of folks I've helped at the range with a canted scope and some high dollar centerfire ammo after they have already gone through half a box. Nature of the beast with an auto-loading rifle in 22lr such as the 10/22. You really need to get some range time, and if you know how to make your adjustments correctly, it shouldn't be more than 25 rounds downrange before you'll know what you can do and get it on. Surely there have to be some public firing ranges up there in PA?

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Oh there are ranges alright... I'd just rather get it spot on at first then tweek it at the range. I'd hate for it not to even hit the target because the scope is so off.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try it out.

When you first shoot set the target at about 10 yards and get on paper,your shots should be centered and about 2" low,that will put you on paper and you can adjust from there at longer ranges
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    When you first shoot set the target at about 10 yards and get on paper,your shots should be centered and about 2" low,that will put you on paper and you can adjust from there at longer ranges
    That is the way I do it. Start close and work your way back.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

See my post in this prior thread of same subject.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ml#post1197549

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I've seen a bunch of people claim their boresighting job good out to 100 yds, but usually, it's only good out to 25 yds. Most CF rifles, sighted in about 3/4" low at 25 yds will be on paper at 100. Remember when adjusting your scope at 25 yds, it will probably take 16 clicks to move the POI one inch.

Links