On your HD shotgun - Do you have a live round in chamber? - Page 3

On your HD shotgun - Do you have a live round in chamber?

This is a discussion on On your HD shotgun - Do you have a live round in chamber? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I own a pump loaded with buck, ready as a SD firearm. I don't have one in the chamber, would need to rack one in. ...

View Poll Results: HD Shotgun - Do you keep a live round in the chamber? (select all that apply)

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 14.48%
  • Yes - with safety on

36 24.83%
  • Yes - with trigger lock

1 0.69%
  • Yes - gun is hidden in room

14 9.66%
  • Yes - gun locked in gun safe (or similar storage)

8 5.52%
  • No

11 7.59%
  • No - I think it's too dangerous to keep live round chambered

4 2.76%
  • No - if BG gets the gun, then empty chamber might give me a chance

4 2.76%
  • No - but I can quickly rack a round in from the loaded magazine

80 55.17%
  • No - I keep the shells totally seperate from the gun

3 2.07%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: On your HD shotgun - Do you have a live round in chamber?

I own a pump loaded with buck, ready as a SD firearm. I don't have one in the chamber, would need to rack one in. It is more my back up Home SD firearm.

I have considered putting a dummy shell in the chamber.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    I always leave one in the chamber. I live alone so there is no one around to to my weapons.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post

I have considered putting a dummy shell in the chamber.
    Could you explain why you would do this? How would this be a good idea? Dummy shell does nothing but take up space and is a possible hazard to your life.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Tube full, chamber empty.

I'd rather not have a pump shotgun leaning in the corner with a live round in the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    An empty chamber will do that just as well, without the potential for confusion, so why the snap cap?
    Slide is closed, chamber has something in it, instead of lint, junk, dog treats, snot, or God-knows-what getting in there. Besides, nothing says "Welcome to my party!" like that big loud "RAK-RAK" noise that cleans you out like a Colonoscopy Prep, but faster...

And, the Orange snap cap flying clear is visual indication to anyone else (wife, gf, whoever) that ****'s about to get exciting...

Guns don't kill people.
    Gaping wounds in vital organs do.
    ============
    NRA Life Member
    Colt M1911A1 / H&K USP45

I use a Benelli M4 for my HD shotgun. 7+1
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Could you explain why you would do this? How would this be a good idea? Dummy shell does nothing but take up space and is a possible hazard to your life.
    Because I would know it still needs to be racked. Might confuse someone else. But I understand might make someone think all the rounds are dummy, and could pose a safety risk, so it is just something "considered."
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Fully loaded magazine tube, chamber empty, hammer down. Simple reason that it gives me that extra half second to make sure I am awake. The more awake I am the better I can identify my target. No need to pepper the inlaws because I slept through their knocking on the door and all. :)
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

I thought of this thread this morning as I read about a home invasion that happened in Mableton, GA in the AJC (news paper) today. A 83 y/o young man was surprised by an armed burglar that entered the house in the early afternoon, undetected. All ended well in spite of the home owner initially (!) having an empty gun. Apparently his wife has thought better of her requirement that the weapon be stored this way in light of their ordeal.

Anyhoo, I was thinking of what would happen if some of you guys were similarly surprised by an intruder and didn't have time to "clack-clack" your scatter gun to scare him off. Every instance that may necessitate the use of a firearm in home defense might not be under conditions that involve the home owner's prior knowledge of the breech so that preemptive measures may be taken. It is easily conceivable to imagine how, in a startled state when the BG is nearly on top of you, the gun is grabbed and pointed just in the nick of time only to find the hammer going off on an empty chamber. It could possibly be too that there isn't even time to get the gun, which would make how it's loaded irrelevant, but it may as well be in a position to immediately change the course of the incident if you can lay hands on it. Don't you think?
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Due to the size of my apartment, and likely points of entry, if I don't have that half second or less to chamber the round then the barrel of the shotgun is going into the guys chest like a spear point, and then I am chambering. Because he will be that close.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

One in the chamber, tube fully loaded spares in the side saddle. Same as any other gun an empty chamber = empty gun. May as well have a brick. While I do agree that the sound of a round racking MAY cause an intruder to vacate, it may also have him draw and lay in wait to get you first. May as well shine a spot light on yourself and yell HEY I AM OVER HERE, I GOT A GUN and I AM GOING TO KILL YOU
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

OP here - thank you all for your replies. It seems pretty evenly split between loaded/empty chamber. Personally, I remain convinced the best option is empty chamber.

I can rack a round in no time. Although the sound may deter an intruder, it also lets him know your location. So I consider the noise factor neither a plus or minus.

The big factor for me is safety. If the BG is in my house already and I surprise him when I come home, he may grab the gun. The empty chamber should give me a valuable second or two to fight, or simply run away. Also, the empty chamber might help prevent an accidental discharge due to gun falling over (or any other reason). And finally, the tang safety on my Mossberg 500 prevents the slide from operating - which is a great safety feature IMHO.

For me - safety is the number one criteria.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by BaserRonin View Post
    Snapcap in the chamber with the trigger pulled so it is ready to rack. My dog gets a little wound up and is likely to tip the thing over, so it makes me more comfortable to have the snapcap in the chamber.
    This is a great idea, I never thought of. With my 870 you have to pull the trigger or push the bolt release (if thats the right term) in order to rack a round from the mag. With the snap cap I can pull the trigger and have the shotty ready to rack the first round.

Thanks for that!!

I have a 2 y/o that I am worried might get curious so I keep the chamber empty and safety on. The additional time it takes to rack the slide is worth his safety.

MT
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeytown View Post

With the snap cap I can pull the trigger and have the shotty ready to rack the first round.

MT
    I'm sorry, but that strikes me as a TERRIBLE idea. Getting into the habit of pulling the trigger and expecting anything other than "bang" sounds like a great way to surprise yourself with an ND at some point.

Treat every gun as if it's loaded.........always.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Moga View Post
    I thought of this thread this morning as I read about a home invasion that happened in Mableton, GA in the AJC (news paper) today. A 83 y/o young man was surprised by an armed burglar that entered the house in the early afternoon, undetected. All ended well in spite of the home owner initially (!) having an empty gun. Apparently his wife has thought better of her requirement that the weapon be stored this way in light of their ordeal.

Anyhoo, I was thinking of what would happen if some of you guys were similarly surprised by an intruder and didn't have time to "clack-clack" your scatter gun to scare him off. Every instance that may necessitate the use of a firearm in home defense might not be under conditions that involve the home owner's prior knowledge of the breech so that preemptive measures may be taken. It is easily conceivable to imagine how, in a startled state when the BG is nearly on top of you, the gun is grabbed and pointed just in the nick of time only to find the hammer going off on an empty chamber. It could possibly be too that there isn't even time to get the gun, which would make how it's loaded irrelevant, but it may as well be in a position to immediately change the course of the incident if you can lay hands on it. Don't you think?
    Absolutely.
    I also keep a loaded revolver on the night stand on the theory that if things have gone terribly wrong all I need is to get one hand on it. This may not be a solution for everyone, but until the dogs grow thumbs or we start having kids it works for me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links