Moved the shotgun upstairs (finally)

This is a discussion on Moved the shotgun upstairs (finally) within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Finally had a chance to move my long gun safe upstairs to our bedroom, which is our designated "safe room." Loaded 4 shells of Federal ...

Thread: Moved the shotgun upstairs (finally)

Finally had a chance to move my long gun safe upstairs to our bedroom, which is our designated "safe room." Loaded 4 shells of Federal high-brass #1 buckshot (16 pellets) into the tube, left the chamber empty. Six more shells on the butt cuff.

It's a stock Remington 870 Express pump. Might get a shorter 20" deer barrel for it, with rifle sights. Currently has a 28" barrel with a magnetic fiber optic bead on the front. Given that it is a "defend in place" weapon, I feel the longer barrel is ok, for now. The kids' rooms are all upstairs, near ours, so no need to clear the whole house. I'd rather defend in place, let the BG(s) come to me - and let the police clear the home.

We have a GunVault next to the bed, with several handguns in it, and the key to the long gun safe. My wife would grab the kids and get them to the bedroom, while I covered her with the Glock. Once in the bedroom, if time permits, I could get the shotgun.

I've always wanted to keep the shotty set up for home defense, but needed a way to keep the kids away from it. This should do!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Sounds like a good plan.

You've got a nice setup!
    "In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box."
    -- Steve Symms, US Senator from Idaho, 1990

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Sounds good so far. Have you thought of home invasion while you are awake and not in the bedrooms. Think about having something to get you to the safe room. Also forget about landline telephones, the phone line is easily cut. I know because mine was cut in November/December 2007. My wife and I were in the process of prosecuting a person who stole and fraudulently used our credit cards. While we could not prove who cut the phone line, we and the police had a good idea who it was. The police and I took it to be a death threat and treated it as such. If you don't have one already use a cell phone for your safe room that way if the phone line is cut you can still call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    Sounds good so far. Have you thought of home invasion while you are awake and not in the bedrooms. Think about having something to get you to the safe room. Also forget about landline telephones, the phone line is easily cut. I know because mine was cut in November/December 2007. My wife and I were in the process of prosecuting a person who stole and fraudulently used our credit cards. While we could not prove who cut the phone line, we and the police had a good idea who it was. The police and I took it to be a death threat and treated it as such. If you don't have one already use a cell phone for your safe room that way if the phone line is cut you can still call 911.
    might be worth the money to keep a Pay as you go phone charged in the room if you don't have a cell phone,that way you can turn it on and call out,even the pay phones will call 911 with no minutes
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Every cell phone is required to be able to call 911, so you can use an old phone that is no longer even in service. Just keep it on a charger in the safe room.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Thanks for the replies. Both my wife and my cell phones are in the bedroom, so we are covered there.

We also have an ADT monitored alarm system. If the line is cut, they lose the signal and will call our cell phones to see what's up.

As far as a home invasion while we are home - I usually put my pistol in the safe when I'm home for the evening. If I know I will be going back out, I just keep it on me. With kids in the home, I'm not going to leave guns laying around. I suppose I could get another safe for downstairs, and keep a handgun in it, but I'm also fairly certain I can run upstairs quickly enough (we never leave our doors open, so someone trying to bust in is going to get our attention).

I will say I feel much better with the shotty more ready to go and accessible than before. While I love my Glocks, you just cannot argue with a shotgun.

I've thought about adding an extended mag tube, but that requires some filing with the newer 870s (there are some bumps inside the mag tube that would need to be filed down). I'm thinking if I need more than the 4 shells in the tube, I'm in heap big doo-doo! The six shells on the butt cuff are easily there for reloading, just in case things aren't quite over when I think they're over (BGs have some initially unseen buddies or something). Plus, I use this gun for trap shooting, and would hate to add more weight to it, especially toward the muzzle.

Any thoughts on that?
    CT Lasers

I'll always have my Kimber or Glock on my hip at home, but when the crowds start gathering at the front or back doors, the shottie will be the 'equalizer'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

jfl
    Wherever we are in or around the house, whatever the time is, at least one of us has a pistol, revolver or shottie within arm's reach.
    I would be really p.o. if I went through the incomfort of carrying everyday for over 20 years - believe me, even a G-26 becomes heavy after a while, especially in South Florida summer weather - and be caught 'empty handed' when needed.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post

>>>snip>>>

I've thought about adding an extended mag tube, but that requires some filing with the newer 870s (there are some bumps inside the mag tube that would need to be filed down). I'm thinking if I need more than the 4 shells in the tube, I'm in heap big doo-doo! The six shells on the butt cuff are easily there for reloading, just in case things aren't quite over when I think they're over (BGs have some initially unseen buddies or something). Plus, I use this gun for trap shooting, and would hate to add more weight to it, especially toward the muzzle.

Any thoughts on that?
    I'd add the extended tube. Removing the "speed bumps" only takes a couple of minutes, and while agree that, yes, if you need more than 4 rounds, you're in it deep...but, then again, if you even need the first round, you're in "it" pretty deep, too.

And, as for using it trap shooting...just remove the extended tube when you go, and put the original nut on; if you get a shorter barrel, you'll probably be replacing that, anyway.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

You CAN argue with a shotgun. It's just very hard to...win. Extra (used?) 870 barrels are found cheap in almost every gunshop. No need to thread that 28" through the house. IMHO, the handling convenience of an 18-20" tube is worth the minor expense. That way, a good tritium front-sight can come & go with the "social barrel" installation. Long barrel goes back to bead.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I'm going to price out a 20" Remington barrel, with rifle sights...unless someone has a better aftermarket suggestion?

Once that's done, I may look into the mag tube extension...though I would really hate to start filing my shotgun!
    CT Lasers

It sounds to me like you have thought this out, and have a plan.

The only thing I would add, if you haven't done so already, is put an illumination device on your shotgun to help with target identification. I use a clamp that holds my 6P on the extended magazine tube. It's fairly cheap, but works. I guarantee it's a lot cheaper than shooting someone or something you shouldn't.

I'll just add one more bit and then leave you be. Since you carry a handgun when out in public why not just keep the gun on, in it's holster, until you go to bed? That way you have a gun to fight your way to the shotgun with, and you're not leaving it lying around.

Take care and stay safe.

Biker

Biker - Thanks. If I go the extended mag tube route, I'll probably do the light as well. I got my wife a fairly powerful Coleman flashlight, with a tailcap button, at WalMart (in the outdoors section) for about $20 a while back. Has LED bulbs, so the 123 batteries last longer than on my carry Surefire G2. The light beam is not as uniform as the pricey G2, but bright enough for the purpose. Heck, I could even just duct tape it to the extended mag tube!

As far as keeping my handgun on while inside the home...I have a 5 year old, who likes to jump in my lap, etc. I do keep it on if I'm going to be going back outside, even if it's just in the yard. If we're inside, behind locked doors, I just don't see anyone getting in so quickly that I can't reach my guns - unless they're a police SWAT team with a battering ram. Maybe I'm being naive?

In any case, thanks for the input.
    CT Lasers

20" barrel on order...
    CT Lasers

Sponsored Links