What happened here?

What happened here?

This is a discussion on What happened here? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looks like the round didn't fully chamber, but fired anyway. Maybe it was gunked up a little from cheap ammo (Winchester 555 bulk pack). It ...

Thread: What happened here?

What happened here?

Looks like the round didn't fully chamber, but fired anyway. Maybe it was gunked up a little from cheap ammo (Winchester 555 bulk pack). It looked like it was sticking out about 1/8 to 1/4 inch right after it popped. This is a Spike's Tactical 22 conversion. The round came right out, and there seems to be no damage at all, but I decided to stop shooting it for the day and consult to board before trying again tomorrow. I also had a FTE about every 5 rounds, Spike's recommends taking 2 or 3 coils off the spring to reduce the speed. A couple of times the hammer didn't get reset either, I guess due to a heavy spring and cheap ammo.

On a side note, I had quite a few (5-10 per box) rounds dented and some bent clean in half in these bulk packs, not sure if this is common with the cheap stuff, just a little curious.

My Ciener conversion has never had any problems and I shoot the federal 550 bulk exclusively,sounds like conversion may need cleaned and lubricated and the chamber checked after cleaning,Take some bullets and insert them in the chamber by hand to see how tight it is and if they insert all the way,any gun that fires out of battery isn't good,what is causing the hammer to not reset is if the case is hard to extract it will slow down the bolt to the point it will just barely eject the case and at the same time since it didn't fully cycle not have the energy to fully seat a bullet,I would think unless the bolt was fully closed it would prevent the hammer from striking the firing pin,but if it allows it to fire out of battery I would be calling Spikes Tactical and letting them know about it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

cmb
    don't know much on the conversions but the winchester round is the only round that jams my semi auto 22's... single shots and bolts they're fine.. I quit buying them even when I have trouble finding 22 I stick with federal and remington (who I am sure have had prob's too, just not with me in 22).

I forgot that I had switched to mini-mags right before this happened. That round has a "C" stamped on it.

I take that back Winchesters and remington bulk don't run reliable in my guns I use Federal bulk pack 550,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I would rather be using Federal, but it's the best WM had. Anyway, the out of battery round was a CCI mini-mag, which I also had jam every 5 rounds or so. I really think the FTE's were due to the conversion kit spring, but the out of battery fire I don't know. I'll shoot an email to Spikes about it to see if it's a know problem or not.

Links