M590A1 or Nova Tactical?

M590A1 or Nova Tactical?

This is a discussion on M590A1 or Nova Tactical? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've decided that I want a new (ahem) "Tactical" shotgun; mainly for fun, but able to do serious work, should the need arise. Now, before ...

Thread: M590A1 or Nova Tactical?

M590A1 or Nova Tactical?

I've decided that I want a new (ahem) "Tactical" shotgun; mainly for fun, but able to do serious work, should the need arise.

Now, before I go further, I want to state flat out: I do NOT want an 870--repeat--I do NOT want an 870. For some reason, I've never met an 870 that worked for me, and I've got a tremendous bias against them...so suggesting one is simply wasting everyone's time & bandwidth.

I've narrowed the choices down to the M590A1 and Nova Tactical; I currently have both a 500 and a M1S90, so I know both Benelli and Mossberg, and know they both make good shotguns.

I like the 590 because it's a tank; and, honestly, for some reason or another, that bayonet lug is just sweet. It also has higher capacity, but is more expensive, heavier, and the top tang safety makes putting a PG buttstock on it not as desirable, and after playing with a friends M3T, I really like the idea of a PG buttstock on my shotgun.

The Benelli (or, as I refer to it, the Italian Plastic Shotgun (Cake fans may get the reference) has the PG stock, I prefer the ghost rings on it over the 590's, has lower capacity (but I can get an extended tube for it, bringing the price up comparable to the 590), is lighter, but doesn't have a bayonet lug...

So--any experiences with both? Or should I just flip a coin, knowing I'll be happy with either one...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

VIP Member
    I like the 590. It sounds to me though, from what you wrote, that the Nova is the way to go for you.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

The 590a1 is a fantastic shotgun. It was the choice that I made a little over 2 years ago and I haven't questioned it once.

You've mentioned the only problem with a pistol grip on a Mossy. Sounds like the Nova is your "A" ticket. I don't like PG stocks on my pet Social Shottie (the *@#% 870), but that's not the debate here. You're Benelli bound!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

If I had it to do over again I would go with the benelli. I think I paid to much for what I got on the mossy.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Yepppp....many's the time I've looked at my Nova and Supernova, and thought, "darn, no bayonet lug - I feel so inadequate." And yet, somehow, I think I'll get by with a modular shotgun that has a great GRS, a chrome-lined barrel, allows me to switch between a recoil-absorbing standard buttstock and my choice of two PG buttstocks, will eat anything I feed it, and with a factory mag extension gets me within one round of a 590A1.

At street prices, you can get a Supernova and factory mag extension for the price of some 590A1's.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

What is the issue with the safety being at the tang (there is no 'bottom tang' so saying "top tang" is unnecessary) as related to use of a pistol grip?
    Mossberg sells to the LEO market the 590A1 'Cruiser' as OEM with a pistol grip. The tang mounted safety works fine.

If what you want is a combination pistol grip with stock unit then those too are available albeit via the aftermarket including but not exclusively so to Knoxx.
    Also you can purchase a quality oversized safety from vendors such as Hahn Precision, Vang Comp and Cavalry Arms.

Just some info as toward the Mossberg.

- Janq prefers the 590A1
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I almost bought the Mossberg 590A1 that was also equipped with ghost ring sights, but it did not have the three white dots like the GRS on the my Benelli Super Nova, plus it was 160 dollars more. The Super Nova may be lighter and not as big of a capacity as the 590, but the polymer coated steel receiver is impervious to weather conditions. I really love my Super Nova Tactical!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I wish I had an A1. I have a 590 with Ghost ring sights and a Bayonet lug. I love it, no complaints.

If it were me, its what id choose again but, its not me shopping for one.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    What is the issue with the safety being at the tang (there is no 'bottom tang' so saying "top tang" is unnecessary) as related to use of a pistol grip?
    Mossberg sells to the LEO market the 590A1 'Cruiser' as OEM with a pistol grip. The tang mounted safety works fine.

If what you want is a combination pistol grip with stock unit then those too are available albeit via the aftermarket including but not exclusively so to Knoxx.
    Also you can purchase a quality oversized safety from vendors such as Hahn Precision, Vang Comp and Cavalry Arms.

Just some info as toward the Mossberg.

- Janq prefers the 590A1
    I'm looking for the pistol grip and buttstock combo; I've played with a few mossbergs with that type of stock, and I feel the safety is a bit akward to access...

Jury is still out, as of this time, but leaning towards the Nova.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Go Benelli, and don't get the Nova. Get the Super Nova. Trust me.

While you may not want to go plinking with 3 1/2" shells, knowing that you have a shotgun of that style that will eat anything in 12 guage that you might be stuck with is an absolute plus. Accessories are really starting to come along for them now as well. I don't know what all the capacities are as far as Nova, and Mossberg, but my SN can hold 7 2 3/4" shells with an extension.

Another plus, in my opinion, is that the rear ghost ring sight is set all the way back on the reciever, which gives you a longer sight radius. Mine came out of the box dead nuts on at 30 yds, and I can easily bulls eye slugs out to 60 yds. Havn't tried any further yet, but that should be this weekend when I go to the desert.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    ...While you may not want to go plinking with 3 1/2" shells, knowing that you have a shotgun of that style that will eat anything in 12 guage that you might be stuck with is an absolute plus. Accessories are really starting to come along for them now as well. I don't know what all the capacities are as far as Nova,...but my SN can hold 7 2 3/4" shells with an extension...
    The Nova Pump and Supernova are both chambered for 3 1/2". Capacities are the same, with the same mag extensions available.

The Nova Pump is lighter (7.2 lbs) than the Supernova (7.8 lbs.).

The Nova Pump has a one-piece standard stock integrated with the receiver, where the Supernova has a modular buttstock with a pistol-grip buttstock as an option.

There is a marine configuration for the Nova Pump Tactical. The Supernova does not offer a marine configuration.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Your right, I forgot that the nova's have the 3 1/2 ability.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Sponsored Links