Opinions of sights for HD shotgun

This is a discussion on Opinions of sights for HD shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Remington 870 Magnum shotgun for home defense. I also use it for the three gun tactical competition. Currently, the shotgun only has ...

Thread: Opinions of sights for HD shotgun

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Opinions of sights for HD shotgun

I have a Remington 870 Magnum shotgun for home defense. I also use it for the three gun tactical competition. Currently, the shotgun only has a bead sight. I am going to put a sight on it and have heard good things about the XS Tactical sights. (Hey, it has the word tactical in it, so it must be good. )

The choice is between a ghost ring

and the standard type XS 24/7 Express sights.

Any opinions on which would be more better?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

For home defense the range will be up close (assuming you dont live in an enormous mansion) I actually think the XS Sights Big Dot Bead front would be the best option, but out of those two, the express sights would definitely be my choice. Then again, if you are lucky enough to have the huge mansion, ghost rings are a good choice
    GUN CONTROL IS USING BOTH HANDS

I believe its a shoulder thing that goes up - Carolyn McCarthy (D)

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says go away in every language.
    -Clint Smith

I have a home defense shotgun that handles all my duties out to 100Yards.

On that Blunderbuss I have Scattergun Technologies Ghost Ring Sight with tritium. On my other home defense shotgun I have a bead. I tell you this so that you may get some idea of the perspective I have.

Since you are planning to use your one gun for matches I would recommend the Ghost Ring. If it was for stictly home defense I would say, "go with a bead and be done with it".

No matter which you select, go with night sights and spend the money for the tritium. It's worth it in my opinion.

Biker

Are you set on XS Tacticals? Nothing wrong with 'em! Just haven't seen a LOT of them in Three Gun. MMC seem popular. I'm seriously considering a radically new style from ATS (advantagetactical.com), haven't SHOT them yet, but the reviews are favorable. But I don't guess they'd include any negative comments...on their website. I may start a thread asking forum members for direct experience.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Hey, XMP, honestly the best set-up is MMC's rear, with the Big Dot front in GRs. MMC sits lower than the XS rear, and is easily adjusted with a shell rim, penny, etc.. The XS front band uses Allen bolts, vs the flat head (easily stripped) screws that MMC's front uses.

XS offers a Big Dot that epoxies over the factory bead. For $60, its a best buy, and guys at GOTX have run them hard and fast, with no failures.

Having said this, your shotty philosophy should dictate the sight profile. If using slugs (>50 yards) is significant, GRs with easy vertical adjustment are an excellent investment. If buck and slugs within the home (<25 yards) are the order of the day, the XS 24/7 bead would serve you best.

I really wouldn't recommend the ATS.

Here's the most current shotty-related link, with input from LE, Mil and 3 gunners:Total Protection Interactive

Another good thread is on the board, if you search.

Hey Rob, thanks for the ATS wave-off. I gotta' get registered for the provided link to get the why. I agree, IMHO MMC makes the best GR available.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    XS offers a Big Dot that epoxies over the factory bead. For $60, its a best buy, and guys at GOTX have run them hard and fast, with no failures.
    Would you consider this the best option for a strictly HD shottie at close distances?
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Dot to dot I don't know what they call em ; )
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Administrator
    I like the bead sight, its a better, faster system IMO. If I had to choose between the two you asked about, I'd choose the ghost ring.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    Would you consider this the best option for a strictly HD shottie at close distances?
    Can you guarantee that you would NEVER need to use it outside of the HD indoor-scenario?

I see mine as a defensive shotgun, capable of defense with shot out to about 25 yards, and slugs out to 100 yards (not that I expect to use it for longer distances, but I know I have reach by simply switching ammo, not weapons, should the situation evolve beyond in-home distances). I chose GRS because it is what I know best, and to me, is faster than open sights and more accurate than a front bead sight.

You should pick the kind of sight you are best, and most familiar with. Hunters who have only shot with a front bead sight can be very accurate at intermediate to longer distances with rifled slugs out of a smoothbore, because they know and use that sight system.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Double tap.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Hey Rob, thanks for the ATS wave-off. I gotta' get registered for the provided link to get the why. I agree, IMHO MMC makes the best GR available.
    GT, the ATI product isn't discussed on TPI, largely because its inadequacies are pretty evident to heavy-use shotty shooters. It is an overly large compression band mount. Many guys have had trouble with the MMC/XS banded fronts being knocked loose. I place mine with a steel impregnated epoxy, and tighten them to the point of stripping, however, so... The basic point is that the ATI, being larger and longer, offers more surface for lateral impact. It also offers a smoother yet improved gripping surface on the front of your barrel.

Like Sixto and Tom note, if you have lots of time in with a bead, and feel comfortable with it, I'd go with the XS BD front. If most of your time is with rifles, GRs are a much easier transition.

Of note, if you have a Rifle Sight barrel, a cheaper "dot" solution can be had. Use a 1/8" chainsaw round file to open up the rear notch and relapce the Rem factory front with a Marbles 1/16" white or gold front bead. It's not tritium, but total cost(for the front blade and the file) is $20.

Simply because of the varying illumination throughout the house, I prefer the MMC rear/XS front on my house gun.

Links