Defensive Carry banner

New SBR

3K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Tubby45 
#1 ·
We just got approved/issued 10.5" uppers for our M4s for use on some missions; here is mine.

The specs are:

Colt upper and lower.
KAC quad rail.
KAC vertical foregrip
Surefire 900 series flashlight.
GG&G BUIS.
C.Q.D. Single-point sling attachment point (I don't use it).
C.Q.D. Front sling attachment point.
Mag-Cinch mag clamp (I know it's hard to see under the 100mph tape, but it's there...)
The EOTech sits on a GG&G throw-lever mount, that sits on a LaRue Tactical riser.
VTAC two-point sling.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice. Any reason for the EOthing being way out there? Personal preference?

-B

#6 ·
It allows more peripheral vision, and forces me to shoot with two eyes open instead of trying to look "through" the EOTech as if it were a scope.

Note, though, that the LaRue is actually mounted to the flat top, not the forward rails. Some rails are not completely solid, and can "wiggle" your zero away.

#7 ·
Yeah, I caught that when I looked at the bigger versions of the pictures. Interesting explanation. Most folks seem to like their sights right at the front edge of the receiver, and like you said mounting to the rail is not really recommended.

Anyway, thanks for sharing, and stay safe!

-B

#8 ·
Very nice working setup I love seeing people who have setup their working gear to work and not because of how it will look. That thing is ready to rock.

#9 ·
Nice,my buddys M16 has a 10.5"upper and it is loud,bursts are pretty easy to control even with the short barrel.One ? with the Eotech riser it looks like you gotta remove it to use the BUIS

#13 ·
dukalmighty - I can still use the BUIS without removing the EOTech/riser. The sight picture just sits a little lower in the EOTech glass.

HotGuns - the noise is pretty significant, but not oppressive. The flash can be bad, but the strange thing is that it isn't consistant - some shots there is very little, some there is a 2' blast of flame. In any case, we've done some night fire testing, and it isn't so bad that it will blind you and take you out of the fight.

SonofaSniper - They are 1:7. We are shooting 62gr M855 green tip right now, with a boat load of 77gr Black Hills Mk 262 OTM on the way.

Oh, and a note - I was told that these were Colt uppers, but upon closer inspection they are LMT. I guess that's what NSW Crane went with, so we piggy-backed.

#14 ·
I was just playing with a neighboring jurisdictions SWAT teams M4's set up very much like yours today. ( Hosting the annual SWAT school this week) Man, it does make a huge difference on room entry and rolling thresholds. We are using SMG's right now, all our M4's are 14.5". I think I'm going to try and talk the man into buying some SBR's now. It would be nice to have the extra punch in a smaller package.

#15 ·
Very cool setup. Thanks for the explanation for the choice of EO placement.

Got a question since there are apparently a few guys that might know in this thread. Why do entry teams choose to make entries with rifles muzzle down instead of muzzle up? I'm thinking it's b/c it's less likely to sweep another guy's head and torso and the rifle doesn't block out potential targets as it is brought to the shoulder. Thanks.

#16 ·
In cop school, it was explained that if you bring the weapon up to engage your sights are on target longer than if you brought the weapon down. It's also safer to keep the muzzle down than up-feet versus heads and it's less likely the barrel will get plugged with debris if the muzzle is down. It's quicker to roll the gun up into your shoulder than it is to push it forward then back to shoulder.

#20 ·
Haha.
Sixto, question came up when watching a SWAT team at the range.
That is way old school. If you are being trained that way, I'd seriously would be looking for another school of thought. Maybe SRT will do such silliness, but not a SWAT team. Amateur hour is over, the ground is not a threat.

#22 · (Edited)
Been putting them through their paces this week. Tons of rounds down range from my team during training, only one malfunction and that was mag related (Beta C-Mag). Today at quals I got a bad mag (they make us use range mags that are in less than stellar shape) and had a bunch of stoppages. When mag was swapped out, it ran like a champ again.

No loss in points on my quals, but we only shoot out to 100m on it, so I didn't expect any issues.

I hadn't been a big fan of sub-16" ARs before, but this thing is growing on me. Used within its design envelope, with the right ammo, this is a lot of firepower in a small, accurate, controllable, maneuverable package.

#23 ·
Too bad every man cant afford to make his AR that way....Sad Face.:frown: Time you buy the parts and what not and then Big Brother adds his what you owe to him its a lot of bills.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.