New SBR

New SBR

This is a discussion on New SBR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We just got approved/issued 10.5" uppers for our M4s for use on some missions; here is mine. The specs are: Colt upper and lower. KAC ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New SBR

VIP Member

New SBR

We just got approved/issued 10.5" uppers for our M4s for use on some missions; here is mine.

The specs are:

Colt upper and lower.
    KAC quad rail.
    KAC vertical foregrip
    Surefire 900 series flashlight.
    GG&G BUIS.
    C.Q.D. Single-point sling attachment point (I don't use it).
    C.Q.D. Front sling attachment point.
    Mag-Cinch mag clamp (I know it's hard to see under the 100mph tape, but it's there...)
    The EOTech sits on a GG&G throw-lever mount, that sits on a LaRue Tactical riser.
    VTAC two-point sling.
    Attached Images
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

BAC
    Nice. Any reason for the EOthing being way out there? Personal preference?

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Nice. I'm sticking with a 16" middy for my first AR build, but the second one is going to be SBR and suppressed.

I like it!

Lets see... two hundred dollar tax stamp and some, well alot of money....maybe.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

VIP Member
    Nice...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post

-B
    It allows more peripheral vision, and forces me to shoot with two eyes open instead of trying to look "through" the EOTech as if it were a scope.

Note, though, that the LaRue is actually mounted to the flat top, not the forward rails. Some rails are not completely solid, and can "wiggle" your zero away.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

BAC
    Yeah, I caught that when I looked at the bigger versions of the pictures. Interesting explanation. Most folks seem to like their sights right at the front edge of the receiver, and like you said mounting to the rail is not really recommended.

Anyway, thanks for sharing, and stay safe!

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Very nice working setup I love seeing people who have setup their working gear to work and not because of how it will look. That thing is ready to rock.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Nice,my buddys M16 has a 10.5"upper and it is loud,bursts are pretty easy to control even with the short barrel.One ? with the Eotech riser it looks like you gotta remove it to use the BUIS
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Purdy Purdy. Very Nice
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

Senior Moderator
    That'll do.

The only thing I hate about shortys is that huge basketball sized fireball and the racket that'll make your ears bleed....
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post

-B
    I have mine mounted almost as far forward as that on the upper reciever for the exact reasons that OPFOR just said. I also played with it to fine the natural sweet spot for for me so that when I raise the rifle the EoTec's target reticle naturally comes into view with out me having to try to adjust my head or eyes for better aquisition.

Very nice looking SBR you got issued there OPFOR. I hope the barrell is 1 in 7 and they are issuing you the heaviest bullets that can be had.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

VIP Member
    dukalmighty - I can still use the BUIS without removing the EOTech/riser. The sight picture just sits a little lower in the EOTech glass.

HotGuns - the noise is pretty significant, but not oppressive. The flash can be bad, but the strange thing is that it isn't consistant - some shots there is very little, some there is a 2' blast of flame. In any case, we've done some night fire testing, and it isn't so bad that it will blind you and take you out of the fight.

SonofaSniper - They are 1:7. We are shooting 62gr M855 green tip right now, with a boat load of 77gr Black Hills Mk 262 OTM on the way.

Oh, and a note - I was told that these were Colt uppers, but upon closer inspection they are LMT. I guess that's what NSW Crane went with, so we piggy-backed.

Administrator
    I was just playing with a neighboring jurisdictions SWAT teams M4's set up very much like yours today. ( Hosting the annual SWAT school this week) Man, it does make a huge difference on room entry and rolling thresholds. We are using SMG's right now, all our M4's are 14.5". I think I'm going to try and talk the man into buying some SBR's now. It would be nice to have the extra punch in a smaller package.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Very cool setup. Thanks for the explanation for the choice of EO placement.

Got a question since there are apparently a few guys that might know in this thread. Why do entry teams choose to make entries with rifles muzzle down instead of muzzle up? I'm thinking it's b/c it's less likely to sweep another guy's head and torso and the rifle doesn't block out potential targets as it is brought to the shoulder. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links