Affordable Tack Driver

Affordable Tack Driver

This is a discussion on Affordable Tack Driver within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've finally gotten around to telling you all about the finest firearm purchase I've made in ten years! This included about twelve great guns, but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Affordable Tack Driver

I've finally gotten around to telling you all about the finest firearm purchase I've made in ten years! This included about twelve great guns, but my Remington SPS Tactical is unbelievable!!

Lemme' back up.

A few months ago, I had the pleasure of attending the Basic Sniper course at the Commonwealth Criminal Justice Academy (those interested can read the AAR I posted shortly after completion of the course). During my time in Virginia, I was talking to one of the course instructors about his recommendations when selecting a rifle.

We talked about all the high-end varieties, and I won't bore you with brand-name dropping...safe to say that the biggies were all mentioned, and rightfully so. When a skilled sniper chooses a weapon, the super-high-dollar stuff is justifiably the direction they go. However, when someone is learning, and can't afford to drop four months salary on a rifle and optics, the smart choices become a little harder to come by. The wisdom imparted to me was to select a good quality bolt action rifle, spend a little more on a high quality optic and then spend the majority on ammunition for learning how to effectively shoot at long range. Then, and only then, should I consider plunking down the change on a refined exotic.

Fortunately, Walt (owner of Classic Arms and Archery right here in Lexington) had the answer, and directed me to the Remington PSP Tactical in .308 that he had on the shelf. For $585?!

After blowing a substantial amount more on a milradian scope and a 1000 rounds of S&B ammo, I headed out the door, excited to practice the skills I had recently aquired.

So, here we are. I've finally finished shooting that thousand rounds just today. My groups have gotten smaller, regardless of range. I am much more familiar with gauging windage and distance, and am confident when I say that I am progressing well.

What occurs to me, though, is that it will be several thousand rounds more before I even consider whether my skill has gone beyond what this bolt action Remington rifle can do. I shoot regularly with friends who have $5,000 rifles...and outshoot them just as regularly. Thanks to the mechanics instilled during that first course, I am armed with the knowledge necessary to become a very competent precision shooter, and may one day have the skill that will justify spending what my peers have. But for now, I'm thrilled with the overall value of this rifle, and strongly encourage ANYONE who needs a bolt gun for hunting, duty or recreation to consider this item for the toolbox.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Administrator
    Its hard to beat the Remington or Winchesters dollar for dollar. The current trend is swinging back towards the semi auto guns, but I still like a solid bolt gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'm all for the affordable tack driver. Somewhere around ten years ago or so I found a Savage 110FP in .308 at a gun show with no mounts, and no scope for $400. Years later, with a new Bell & Carlson stock, and some custom work by the guys at Aurora Tactical, and my tried and true reloading skills for the cartridge led me on the road to having my nearest and dearest bolt action rifle I've ever pulled the trigger on that wasn't government property.

I bought my own first bolt gun after a LOT of research. The gun shop owner I bought it from is a sage old guy who rarely says much if you make a choice of purchase he wouldnt as not to offend, he might show you some better alternatives but not flat tell you not to buy it. He will however sing praises if he thinks you have bought a nice weapon. I chose a Winchester Model 70 Classic Sporter LT in .270 with no sights...mounted a Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 with leupold rings and bases and he said he was very proud to say he sold me that fine a gun. It is amazing. I shoot stock 130 gr Federal with Sierra Gameking BTSP. It amazes me how good a shot it makes me. I am decent and practice good fundamentals but it only make me looke like a great shot. I consistently outshoot friends and family at the range. You will be extremely happy for a long time with that gun. For extreme accuracy i will always use a bolt gun.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Shot a SPS in .223 Remington with a customer of mine. Five rounds of his 52gr SMK handloads snuggled in a group so tight it scared me. Five shots in three holes and no there weren't two misses. All were hits. I didn't believe him so we put a steel plate behind the bullseye so we could hear the hits. Five for five went like this: "Send it..BOOM.....CLANG"
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Model 70 here

The only draw back on my rifle is I bought it for hunting and the first 2, 5 shot groups are generally nice and tight (under 1 inch at 100) If you shoot much past that at a decent rate of fire I start picking up flyers, even off of a lead sled ( had to see if it was me) I have attributed this to the light barrel contour that heats up rather quickly and I am tossing the idea around of a heavy barreled varmint type rig to play with.

Glad you are happy with your rifle.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Its hard to beat the Remington or Winchesters dollar for dollar. The current trend is swinging back towards the semi auto guns, but I still like a solid bolt gun.
    Any time someone asks me about a good hunting rifle I 99% of the time refer them to bolt action. I don't know if its just personal opinion or truth, but to me, they seem more accurate for long distance shooting.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    That sounds like a winner! Bolts are definitely more accurate than semi's and it sounds like your training has already more than paid off. Congrats.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    Any time someone asks me about a good hunting rifle I 99% of the time refer them to bolt action. I don't know if its just personal opinion or truth, but to me, they seem more accurate for long distance shooting.
    A bolt action is better, they hold the pressure that the semi's use to blow back the action.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I've never been much of a fan but seeing that they are being recommended I may try them out.

For a factory trigger the Remington SPS trigger is very good out of the box.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Congratulations on the new rifle. From your description, it sounds like you got yourself a shooter. I just bought a new MODEL 700 VS SF II and I spent quite a bit of time looking over various rifles thinking I would like to try something different but ultimately fell back to the Remington 700 lineup. They are darn fine rifles out of the box and there is no shortage of after-market parts to customize them with.

Assuming your rifle is strictly a bench/tactical rifle and won't see any humping through the brush for hunting, the one suggestion I would make is to install a Jewll trigger. I've already put one in my new rifle and these things are absolutely amazing. If you already have the barrel accuracy (and it sounds like you do), these can help shave that final few tenths of an inch off your group size.

Again, congratulations on the new rifle and continued good shooting.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by gilliland87 View Post
    The only draw back on my rifle is I bought it for hunting and the first 2, 5 shot groups are generally nice and tight (under 1 inch at 100) If you shoot much past that at a decent rate of fire I start picking up flyers, even off of a lead sled ( had to see if it was me) I have attributed this to the light barrel contour that heats up rather quickly and I am tossing the idea around of a heavy barreled varmint type rig to play with.

Glad you are happy with your rifle.
    My father was telling me of a company that milled the barrel down then wrapped it in carbon fiber and it was really resistant to heat afterwards.
    I don't remember the company name but I could prolly find out. It was a few years ago.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Congratulations on the new rifle. From your description, it sounds like you got yourself a shooter. I just bought a new MODEL 700 VS SF II and I spent quite a bit of time looking over various rifles thinking I would like to try something different but ultimately fell back to the Remington 700 lineup. They are darn fine rifles out of the box and there is no shortage of after-market parts to customize them with.

Assuming your rifle is strictly a bench/tactical rifle and won't see any humping through the brush for hunting, the one suggestion I would make is to install a Jewll trigger. I've already put one in my new rifle and these things are absolutely amazing. If you already have the barrel accuracy (and it sounds like you do), these can help shave that final few tenths of an inch off your group size.

Again, congratulations on the new rifle and continued good shooting.

Hoss
    Thanks for the suggestion, Hoss. However, this is a 'user' rifle, and will remain as-is. I have been VERY tempted by the new FN .338 Lapua as my next step, and at about $1400 dressed out, it is a logical step. If I go that route, it will be restricted to the bench. However, this li'l bull-barrelled tactical rifle will be my companion through all training and the rigors of putting food on the table.

I welcome your suggestions on improving, though. Incidentally, the trigger out of the box is sweeeeet!

Shoot straight, stay safe!

S
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links