best defensive rifle ?" - Page 3

best defensive rifle ?"

This is a discussion on best defensive rifle ?" within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Throw a hollow point slug in the Mossy that will do it....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: best defensive rifle ?"

Throw a hollow point slug in the Mossy that will do it.

I have an AR15 and a PS90; I prefer the PS90 for HD.

Though I would like a larger caliber rifle like the SOCOM II.
    Grassroots SC, SC CWP, NH NR-PRL

Couple of Pics of my 66 year old PMHDR ( Poor Mans Home Defense Rifle). She's a real sweet shooter....for the budget minded.

Have Gun ~ Will Carry
    S-Safety
    M-Motivation
    A-Awareness
    R-Responsibility
    T-Training

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    for "defense", I figure my CX4 Storm in the lowly 9mm will handle my needs. With the bottom rail light and ATN heads up optics, it's capable of "minute of pie-plate" at 50 yards under most any conditions. Anything outside of that would be outside my property boundaries. The #2 for defense, and the #1 "go-to" rifle for me is my old Marlin 336. You just can't beat the old lever guns for all around versatility. My other rifles are for fun.

surv

If it's a true "head for the hills" weapon then you should consider availability of parts and spare ammo.

For that reason alone I would look to the AR. I say this, not as an AR fan, but rather someone that recognizes them for what they are. IMO there are better rifles, and ones I enjoy shooting more, but the AR is pretty hard to beat.

I finally broke down and bought my first AR recently. Out to 100 Yards I prefer a shotgun. I'm working on zeroing my AR at 200 Yards, if that tells you anything.

The availability of parts and ammo, as well as the number of people that have AR's is something to keep in mind if you have to head for the hills.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    I would avoid a Mini-30! John Farnam recommends against them, even though he recommends the Mini-14, within its limitations. John Farnam was in early on the teaching of rifles for civilian self-defense, and one thing about him is that he is not bashful about criticizing inferior products. See his books and website for more.

I like the ergonomics of the Mini-14 over the AR15, by FAR. Of course, this is a personal thing. I have an AR15, formerly owned two others, and have two Mini-14s. Each has its place in this world. I see the AR15 as a superior long-range tool, and the Mini as the better close-range and general utility rifle, for MY purposes. Because of this view, my AR15 is an HBAR. I sold my shorter AR15 carbines. If I buy another AR15, it will likely be what is generally known as an SPR or DMR.

Did a quick search, and it seems the issues with the Mini 30 are magazine and Russian steel-cased ammo related. Ruger does not make a "high cap" mag for the Mini 30, so you need to do some research to find reliable aftermarket ones. My understanding is that the Russian steel-cased ammo is hard on the Ruger firing pin as well - I would use US commercial 7.62 x 39.

Of course, you could just get an SKS (if you don't mind the 10-rd en bloc clip) or an AK (prices lately are just crazy for what they are).

Personally, I had a Saiga AK in .308 - was a piece of junk. Had trigger reset issues, and stovepipe jams. Aftermarket mags did not fit. Sold it at a loss. Will keep my shottie and Mini 14.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

AR-15 done deal. It easily reaches your 100 yds at great accuracy and also has the high round mags you want.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

I would say get an AR 6.8 rifle.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links