Defensive Carry banner

best defensive rifle ?"

5K views 37 replies 29 participants last post by  cbp210 
#1 ·
I would like everyones opinion on a good defensive rifle.
I am not intersted in using a scope , so it needs to shoot
flat out to around 100 yds.
I am looking into a Ruger mini 14 ranch style in a 223 but
have not made up my mind , just want a good shooter that
I can get some high capacity mags for.

#2 ·
The newer mini 14s are good but some of the older ones were lacking in the accuracy department. The Ruger Pistol caliber carbines are pretty nice too from what I hear. I like some of the offerings from Kel-tec, and they seem to be reasonably priced and reviews are good. These look very nice and take AR mags...
Kel Tec
Kel Tec

#3 ·
Ar-15 hands down.

No other rifle can be as customized or if you prefer a meatier caliber (like .308, 6.8spc, etc) the top end can be changed in minutes. Also availability of magazines makes it a factor. Easily the most versatile platform out there right now...

#4 ·
The AR is King, with the AK being a tough but ugly pretender to the throne.

#5 ·
A .22 mag rifle will get out there...:yup:
It's why I got my Henry lever action .22 mag.:hand10:

#7 ·
I have an AR and agree with all previous posters...you sounded like you were looking for more value and substance than a black rifle per se. I was simply aiming at the best bang for the buck.

#8 ·
I have two that I go to for defense depending on the situation.
Ruger Mini-14: .223, high ammo capacity, quick reloads, good 'varmint' rifle. Have taken many coyotes with mine over the years.
Puma lever action carbine: 45LC, less ammo capacity and slower reloads, better stopping power close range, lighter/easier to handle than the mini. Have taken total of 4 coyotes, none got back up from the first shot. Cannot say that for the 223.

That said; the AR platform is definitely the king, most will shoot rings around a Mini-14. I'm just partial to the feel of wood.

In response to the .22Mag: IMO
I wouldn't stake my life on a .22 rimfire unless there were NO other choice. They have their place, but not as a defensive rifle. (I have a mouse gun that I carry when unable/impractical to carry/conceal anything more substantial.)

#10 ·
I have a mossberg 500 and several pistols for in home defense .
I am looking for something that will get their attention as they start up my driveway ( aprox 70 yards ).
Needs to be a good head for the hills weapon also .

#11 ·
Sounds like you already have one. Shotgun with a slug will reach out to 100yards, and for a head for the hills weapon its really good.
You can fight with it or get some food up to deer.

#14 ·
An AR15 should fit the bill quite nicely, but they come at a price depending on your budget. I prefer a 12 gauge shotgun for home defense but your mileage may vary. The good thing about the AR15 is you can shoot different calibers to fit your specific needs simply by swapping up uppers.

I used to have a S&W M&P15 that was flawless for me, but there was a recent thread on here about one of them exploding. That wouldn't change my opinion on the rifle, which 'I think is a fantastic black rifle.

Good luck!

#16 ·
If money is an object, find yourself a really nice M1.30 Carbine. Sweet to shoot effective out to about 200 yards. Almost no recoil and you can put a reflex sight, scope or laser on it if you want to with the right adapters. Load up half a dozen or so 15 round or 30 round mags. and protect that driveway.

#18 ·
How about an HK-USC ? then you only need to carry one ammo type (provided you have a .45 pistol)

#20 ·
I have a mini-14 and like it alot... for BG's at 70 yards coming up my driveway, I would feel comfortable with it, but I would feel just as comfortable with my Marlin 30-30 or my 94AE .44 mag leverguns.

#22 ·
AR's are fine and usually are very accurate rifles. You could do a lot worse. They are also on the expensive side and if cost is a consideration, you may find that most will be priced out of reach since an entry level AR will usually run $1,000 and many are twice that price.

OTOH, I'd consider an AK or one of the variants in 7.62x39. At the distances you are talking about (100 yds or less) most are more than accurate enough to put a dozen rounds into a half-dollar size circle, they are virtually indestructible, ammo and hi-cap 20-30 rd mags are cheap and easy to find in most locations plus even a tricked out AK can be had for less than half the cost of an average AR. Finally, the 7.62 has a lot more power than the 5.56 round. It's essentially the Russian equivalent to a 30-30. You're basically comparing a varmint rifle (223) to a deer rifle (30-30) and on a man size target, which do you think will do a better job of stopping an intruder in his tracks or going thru a car door if necessary?

#23 ·
My only concern with the AR design is the direct gas system, which puts hot dirty gases right into the action - and bakes the carbon on to the point where it is hard to clean well. (I have extensive experience with the AR/M16 from my Army days)

Otherwise, I like the ergonomics of the AR platform. If the piston driven ones weren't so expensive, I would get one. Ruger has a new one that looks like it might be a winner - time will tell.

As it is, I have a Mini 14, and it serves my purposes. My Remington 870 pump shotgun is my main defensive long gun, and I really see no realistic need for a longer-range option in my area. Even at 70 yards, buckshot will get someone's attention.

Once you start getting out to longer ranges, you will have a hard time legally justifying "self defense," but I don't really want to get into that debate.

A nice compromise might be a Ruger Mini 30, or even an SKS. Nothing wrong with a good lever gun in .30-30 either - unless you plan on fighting a whole horde of zombies by yourself.

Whatever you decide, good luck to you!

#24 ·
Thanks for all the help guys , now I'm looking at an AK or the Ruger mini 30 .
And as far as " fighting a whole horde of zombies " they are only after brains
so I'm in no danger .

#25 ·
I have an AR that I built myself, a Marlin 336 30-30,a 10-22, and a Maverick 88. I have all bases covered.

If I could only take one it would be the AR. I have 6 30 round mags and a 5 rounder, plus I reload and have ALOT of 223 that I have reloaded and still more to do.

As far as the direct gas system on the AR's to me it isn't an issue. As long as you keep them lubed up you shouldn't have to much of an issue. I did a 3 gun course at Blackwater's Facility and our instructor, Erin Roberts, conducted a test with his personal AR. He didn't keep a round count, but shot quite frequently. I know he did put close to 10,000 rounds of 9mm through his Glock every month, and is (was at the time unsure if still) sponsered by Glock. Long story short, he went 15 months without cleaning his ar, just took out the bolt and lubed it after every range session. When he brought in his AR he pulled the bolt and it was disgusting looking. I personally clean mine after every range session, but it did give me the warm and fuzzy that these rifles can keep working without having to tear themdown every time you shoot.

#27 ·
I have a Ruger Ranch Rifle (mini-14) w/ SS and synthetic stock, they had it missed marked at a Wal-Mart so I bought it. It rides in my truck all the time and makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. I feel comfortable to 100 yds with iron sights but if you have to hit a small target I had alot of problems with the front sight covering up the target. I finally put a scope on mine and the accuracy even with the scope is not up to my standards, but I have taken alot of hogs and yotes with it. Good gun but I am sure the accuracy of the AR puts the mini-14 to shame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.