What can't the AR-15 do? - Page 3

What can't the AR-15 do?

This is a discussion on What can't the AR-15 do? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by JD I think a pump gun is a bit easier with the differences in loading gates and size of the shells vs. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What can't the AR-15 do?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I think a pump gun is a bit easier with the differences in loading gates and size of the shells vs. cartridges. Especially if you're a righty.

YMMV
    You do have a point about that, however, if a .357 levergun is what you have and you practice, I'll bet you could become proficient at loading it/topping it off in a SD situation only, not sure it makes much sense in this day and age of semi-auto weapons.

All this discussion of AR's is making me want one. Will have to wait since I just bought my M1 carbine.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Cowboy rifles are an excellent choice for people living in CA or anywhere else where a "tactical rifle" is banned, or almost impossible to get.

Their only real downsides are slow reloading times, and a debatably more fragile magazine system.

Saw a quick loader for lever action rifles not too long ago. Will try to find it again. (homemade system)
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    You make an excellent point, my shotgun would be the first thing I grab, however, if I had a .357 levergun, it might be a close second, as I feel it is as quick handling and easily top off like a shotgun. I've practiced this with my .30-.30 some.
    Thank you kindly. While folks might not always agree with me, I hope my opinions are always founded on some experience and/or reasoned logic.

Some day, I may get a .30-something rifle or carbine...just because. Don't really see a "need" for it, but I do have some surplus 7.62 x 51 ammo with nothing to shoot it with. As good an excuse as any to get a new gun!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Saw a quick loader for lever action rifles not too long ago
    May make the comparisons get pretty close other than range.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Smile Opps! Your link for quickloaders didn't work!

Hi Shadowsbane,
    I have a Winchester model 94 in 38/357 caliber, and my desire for a quickloader led me to your post. I was so exited when I saw your link- I clicked it- and I got some crazy message from the forum like "thread not found", or something. Could you repost some information, so I could find and buy such a speedloader?

I have Colt AR in .223.

I think the perfect companion would be an AR in 308 for more terminal ballistics at longer ranges on larger game!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I love this picture!

The AR can do ANYTHING!!
    Attached Images
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

My reason for the XM15 "Varmint Special" is the ability to take anything from squirrel to coyote to deer with the same round. If I'm grabbing in SHTF scenarios or a break in I'm going for a horse of a whole 'nother color. If I have to hunt for food and possibly defend myself in the process the AR concept is a very viable option. The XM is getting ready to go to 300 Below to be stress relieved from barrel crown to trigger group. The only thing not making the trip is the stock.

what can't the AR-15 do?

Show me the same kind of love my Basset Hound does when I come home.

... oh who am I kidding, that dog died years ago and my AR is much more fun to have around :)

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    The AR can do ANYTHING!!
    Yeah except dishes, it's a little hard on those
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Well, it can't make me while it attempts to catch a deer all by itself and fail miserably like my pitbull when I feel like a good laugh and let her go for it.

For all you bambi lovers...no worries...she always loses and no deer were harmed in the recording of this message
    ...and for you weenies worried about a pit running a muck...again no worries...she's trained very well.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links