What can't the AR-15 do?

This is a discussion on What can't the AR-15 do? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It seems that it is great for defense, survival (small-medium game), breakdown of society, revolution, and the range. Why would someone need more than a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What can't the AR-15 do?

What can't the AR-15 do?

It seems that it is great for defense, survival (small-medium game), breakdown of society, revolution, and the range. Why would someone need more than a CC handgun and an AR?

I'm also interested in a .357 lever rifle because that's the revolver caliber I have. Aside from capacity limits, what couldn't a cowboy rifle do?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    What can't the AR-15 do?
    Answer: Not much. It's a bit too light for deer hunting but it can kill deer in a pinch.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmoose View Post
    what couldn't a cowboy rifle do?
    Reloading is a bit time consuming.

Shooting birds in flight would be a bit of a challenge.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Shooting birds in flight would be a bit of a challenge.

That solves that problem!

Wheres the bayonet
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Well, as I see it not much. I have 2 ARs, with an extra 6.8spc top end that can fit on either gun.

So now in 10 minutes, I can swap top ends and have a rifle with a 26-round capacity that has the ballistic equivalency of a .270.

With that, I can hunt just about anything in this country I want, including men....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I disagree with the "too light for deer" thing. Pick up a road kill (fresh will help you take your time on the forensics) and put a .223 through the lungs. Then try the shoulder. Unless you're a really bad shot nothing south of that should be considered. Open the animal up and look at what you've done. I have a Bushmaster Varmint Special that will make vapor out of a deer brain or a rabbit lung at one hundred yards. I use the ballistic tip for this kind of thing. If you want to use a cheap bullet to spray and pray and a ballistic tip for precision work just note what setting on your optics you have to use for each. My preference is to use the ballistic tip for both. You are, after all, betting your life on the performance of that rifle in self defence and hunting modes.

Agreed as well llongshot as in regard to deer and .223.

That is no longer the case and has been demonstrated as such using modern projectiles such as the Barnes 'Triple Shock' amongst a few others including even Hornady 'TAP' and Nosler too. Hunters are reporting successful and ethical hunts of deer using these ammunition as in .223 and as in the case of the Barnes bullet in specific many reports of DRT results upon impact...if the shooter does his part as you indicated.

Logan Dominguez took this deer with his .223 Remington and a 53-grain TSX.
    Source - Photo Gallery | Barnes Bullets

Never mind that the AR can be reconfigured to run the .30AR which is a new cartridge developed by Remington that runs thirty caliber weight and punch through a slightly modified AR upper with specific barrel and bolt using a normal AR lower along with a single stack design STANAG/AR style magazine.
    For more info on the .30 AR cartridge go to; .30 Remington AR

Amazingly there is even an AR style/based shotgun available now too running .410 shells (!).
    If there is one thing the AR has a claim to fame as it is for being quite flexible in applicability.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Reloading is a bit time consuming.
    That would be my only problem...but I've been wanting a good lever action for some time
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

If you live in town you have an unlimited supply of birds, squirrels, racoons, possums, and possibly rats. If you use a .223 to kill a deer that you probably can't refrigerate or eat before it goes bad and make enough noise to alert everything human/animal/mineral within a mile you are asking to become prey. Get yourself a good QUIET bb gun and/or a single shot .22 and some good QUIET subsonics and live off the birds and squirrels coming to your feeders. Back up inside your home and shoot from a rest through a window or door to muffle the noise. Keep the cooking deep inside your home in an iron receptacle using sticks/twigs from the yard. If it's really long term most of the macho will have dealt with most of the sheeple by the time anyone figures out what you're doing. Remember that when you start your generator and turn on all your lights and heat/air and tv your advertising to anyone within earshot that you have something they might want.

It can't not shoot through the walls of your house......and your neighbor's too.

Not a great platform for many, maybe even most, home defense scenarios as a result.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

It can't seem to worm its way into my affections. I've owned one for 20+ years now and think the cartridge is a bit weenie and can't warm up to the rifle's design.

it cant make toast........lol seriously though i like the gun. I want one one of these days.

You can't hit anything past 800 meters without a match barrel and match ammo.

Everything else is doooable.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links