What optics on your defense rifle? - Page 2

What optics on your defense rifle?

This is a discussion on What optics on your defense rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have an Aimpoint Comp M4 on my defensive rifle. I like it - I'm keeping it. Austin...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What optics on your defense rifle?

I have an Aimpoint Comp M4 on my defensive rifle. I like it - I'm keeping it.

Austin

Im all about the red dot. And aim point is what i had on my m16 in the desert and it served me well.It took AA and i never had to replace the battery once the whole year. I would even forget to turn it off sometimes and it would be on for hours at a time. And, its quick to get a sight picture close range, or u can pick off 300m targets with it to!
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

What optics on your defense rifle?
    Nice answers thus far. Personally, I like my AK-47 for the role, and it remains without optics for good reasons.

I dont have a defensive rifle yet. Im trying to be good enough for santa to bring me one. When i get it i think ill go with the EOTECH. I saw one at a gun show and liked it alot.

In the LEO tactical application, the EOTech's have become a necessary addition to subguns, shotguns and rifles. Failure to add them put's the operator behind the curve and could be seen as a liability. They're that good.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    I have an Aimpoint Comp M4 on my defensive rifle. I like it - I'm keeping it.

Austin
    +1, except I have the M4s model on a SIG 556. Both models use AA batteries that last darn near forever! And of course the dot is easy and fast to pickup.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I used to believe in irons only, and had the excellent vision to make that work. Then, I had to buy a longer AR15, 20" barrel, to be able to focus on the front sight. Now, that farther-away front sight is growing fuzz on it, too. It is **** to get old. I have experimented with a Trijicon Reflex, but never left it permanently installed on a defensive weapon. The Aimpoint Micros have my attention. It does seem that an optic that superimposes a dot on the target allows for faster acquisition, at least with inherently clumsy (to me) weapon systems such as the AR15.

I like Aimpoints on defensive rifles, mainly due to their ridiculously long battery life. The fact that you can leave it on and replace the batteries once a year does a lot to mitigate the disadvantages of an optical sight.

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies. There seems to be alot good points for both Aimpoint and EOTech. Both appear to be well made and reliable. So far EOTech looks like the best choice for me, unless I find a real bargain on an Aimpoint. Looks like I can't go wrong either way.

I'm looking at dropping an eotech on my 16"er when I can convince myself to drop that much cash on a sight... Right now I just have a rear flip up iron. Am hoping to pick up a used one on the cheap...ala craigslist special
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links