Building an AR

Building an AR

This is a discussion on Building an AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I succumb to the desire to get into the AR15 world. I feel there may be a day soon that it won't be that ...

Thread: Building an AR

Building an AR

So I succumb to the desire to get into the AR15 world. I feel there may be a day soon that it won't be that easy to get one and they are a good rifle regardless. I still have the AK for all around detruction.

So I picked up a Rock River stripped lower, and a Rock River lower parts kit. I also got a 6 position stock complete.

Now I need to slap all these parts together. The thought of building this thing is very intriguing to me and that is why I went with the parts kits, but now that I have everything and I worried I may screw it up....so I have a few questions.

1. Does anyone have any sites that show how to assemple this puzzle?

2. Are there recommendations for uppers? I would use this for killing paper...not much more than that..and I am not a competition shooter, just try to hit the bullseye when I go. I want something decent that will have some basic value moving forward.

3. Should I do the upper in parts? Are there any savings in doing it this way or buying a used upper someone else upgraded?

General AR15 assistance would be welcome, I found an AR15 forum too that seemed good but I have always relied on this forum for general knowledge.

TIA

Senior Moderator
    http://www.ar15.com/

This site has everything you can imagine and will answer every question that has ever been asked.

Read up on it. Its a great source.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I don't have much to suggest, except make sure you have a good workbench area before you start. I've only assembled one lower. It was fun and I think every AR owner should do it at least once to become familiar with how the lower works. It will be much easier to replace broken parts if you have built one from a parts kit.

I realized if I were to buy all the tools to assemble an upper receiver, there would be no 'savings'. However you would have the completed upper, the tools, and the experience. You only need a few punches and a proper hammer to assemble a lower. And a screwdriver or two. And maybe a buttstock wrench (might be included with a telestock). I used the book The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide by Walt Kuleck with Clint McKee. It will tell you what you need to know and how to do safety checks along the way.

The most important step is to identify the parts since some of them look very similar.

The front takedown pin spring and detent can be a real pain,what i do is cut down the spring enough to start the detent in the hole and then use the takedown pin to push it the rest of the way,if I don't do it that way the detent goes MIA almost everytime,as long as there is enough pressure on the detent it keeps the takedown pin securely in place,also the roll pins can be hard to start in the hole so I use a dremel to make the end I start a little pointier
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    You can learn everything you need to know about AR assembly from watching a few YouTube videos. I assembled my first AR in about 90 minutes.

I have a Spikes Tactical Lower, a Model 1 Sales M4 upper and a Magpul MOE stock. Nothing fancy but it works great and cycles like butter.

I am currently building a Spikes Lower onto a Spikes dedicated 9mm upper. I am waiting for my disposable income to accumulate so I can buy a Hahn dedicated mag-well adapter.

AR's are easy & fun.

JD
    Administrator
    Brownells has a series of videos on some subjects, I think the have an AR video...

ETA: Here's the video, haven't watched it yet so I can't comment on the quality of it, but it should be decent.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1...An_AR_15_Video

Make sure you use masking tape around the surface of the receiver for the bolt release when you drive the roll pin in better to scuff tape than scratch your finish
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Make sure you use masking tape around the surface of the receiver for the bolt release when you drive the roll pin in better to scuff tape than scratch your finish
    +1 I actually went further than that. I taped thin cardboard to it in places where I could get it to fit...just in case. Nothing like going through all that trouble to build out a thing of beauty only to make it look like it got out of a fight with a teed off cat before it's even completed.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

BAC
    Lower receiver assembly instructions. I find this to be more helpful than the instructions on AR15.com.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    A large drop cloth for when some small part goes AWOL.

Take it slow. It was incredibly easy, except for me launching the spring for the rear pin.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    Take it slow. It was incredibly easy, except for me launching the spring for the rear pin.

I'm thinking just about everyone has that problem the first time around...I know I did.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Links