Limbsaver Recoil Pad Question.

This is a discussion on Limbsaver Recoil Pad Question. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anyone have a Limbsaver Recoil Pad on their 12 ga. or lever action rifles? If so, are they worth it? My age is catching ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Limbsaver Recoil Pad Question.

Limbsaver Recoil Pad Question.

Does anyone have a Limbsaver Recoil Pad on their 12 ga. or lever action rifles? If so, are they worth it? My age is catching up to me, the 70 % reduction in recoil sounds real good, if it's true. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I recently put a Limbsaver on my Mossy 500A. It definitely makes a difference!
    That thing would beat me up after a day at the range, but no more!
    tested it shooting boxes of slugs and 3" 000 Buck.
    The Limbsaver makes shooting a shotgun fun again.
    I give it a .

They are highly thought of. I put a Mesa Hydraulic Stock on my 12 ga. and it helped but nothing helped like switching to Federal LE Low Recoil ammo. I was amazed at the difference in recoil.
    Have Gun ~ Will Carry
    S-Safety
    M-Motivation
    A-Awareness
    R-Responsibility
    T-Training

I put the Remington-branded ("R3") Limbsaver on my social 870. Nice fit on my modified factory synthetic stock. Makes a substantial difference with full-house buckshot & slugs, especially during/after a l-o-n-g training session. I'm not sure about ~70% reduction, but I sure would resist if someone suggested I remove it!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I put a collapsible stock on my turkey shoot shotgun. It's an H&R which is light to begin with and the composite forearm and stock made it a great deal lighter. To put some perspective on this.....I'm 60 years old, six feet two inches tall and weigh (depending on whether I'm telling the truth and or naked or fully dressed or had supper) between 250 and 270 pounds. Only 230 pounds of that is muscle and bone. After ten or twelve rounds of 3 dram, 1 1/8 ounce, #8 shot there was an almost equal amount of damage at both ends of the shotgun. Remember that to pattern well you have to shoot consistently. If you anticipate the recoil you go home without the turkey. The solution was a slip on Limbsaver that fit the adjustable stock. I still wouldn't want to shoot sporting clays with this shotgun but felt recoil is so much better that my consistency is improved. My suggestion? Go for it. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the results

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    I have a limbsaver on my Mossberg 500 slug gun that I use for deer hunting with 3" slugs; it makes a huge difference. I also put one on my Encore it tames 300 Win Mag and makes the .50 muzzle loader very mild.

Cheers,
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Senior Moderator
    The last .50 BMG I built has a Limbsaver on it. It, along with the muzzle-brake work pretty well together.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I use one on on a mosin nagant, not so much for the recoil, but to keep the steel butt plate off me... I would say yes to one...

Sounds to me like it will be worth it. I have a Winchester 94 30-30 & Mossberg 500 Persuader 20" barrel. The Mossberg stock is synthetic and will need the slip-on, the Winchester a screw-on for wood stock. Both are available, I'm ordering now. Thanks for the input.

I installed one on my lever action 30-30 last year after a grueling day of sighting in new optics & i must say it was worth every dime. My rifle only had the stupid plastic plate & unfortunately Jay's didnt have the exact fit in stock for my rifle, but there was one that was a perfect match for the stock's shape although only 1 screw hole lined up. So upon a suggestion i mixed saw-dust & gorilla glue which i used to fill the other hole & then drilled too match the hole's in the "limbsaver". Works like a charm

P.S.. I used the screw mount only because i thought the slip-on looked tacky
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slim_45 View Post
    I installed one on my lever action 30-30 last year after a grueling day of sighting in new optics & i must say it was worth every dime. My rifle only had the stupid plastic plate & unfortunately Jay's didnt have the exact fit in stock for my rifle, but there was one that was a perfect match for the stock's shape although only 1 screw hole lined up. So upon a suggestion i mixed saw-dust & gorilla glue which i used to fill the other hole & then drilled too match the hole's in the "limbsaver". Works like a charm

P.S.. I used the screw mount only because i thought the slip-on looked tacky
    I printed the Limbsaver diagram for the Winchester and it was as you say a perfect match and only one hole must be drilled. You made the right decision with the screw mount on the wood stock not only because the slip-on would look tacky, but because the slip-on would also in time cause discoloration of the wood. (so I've heard)

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    My 10 year old daughter shoots in 4-H skeet events and she uses a 11-87 20 gauge with the limbsaver pad. She says it has less recoil than the 410 she started with.
    [One Nation Under God]

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    Sounds to me like it will be worth it. I have a Winchester 94 30-30 & Mossberg 500 Persuader 20" barrel. The Mossberg stock is synthetic and will need the slip-on, the Winchester a screw-on for wood stock. Both are available, I'm ordering now. Thanks for the input.
    My Mossy 500 also has a synthetic stock, but the oem recoil pad is replaceable with a screw-on Limbsaver.

Quote Originally Posted by RemMod597 View Post
    My Mossy 500 also has a synthetic stock, but the oem recoil pad is replaceable with a screw-on Limbsaver.
    I've searched for that replaceable oem Limbsaver re-coil screw-on pad for the 500 Mossy with the synthetic stock, but couldn't find it. The good news is that the slip-on works equally well and blends perfectly with the black synthetic stock, not looking tacky.

For future reference, the Limbsaver part for the OEM Mossy 500 synthetic stock is #10201.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links